Sounds like Wichita St to the AAC... Who gets an Invite?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Sounds like Wichita St to the AAC... Who gets an Invite?

Postby Wufan » March 28th, 2017, 5:10 am

municup14 wrote:So I'm assuming that if Wichita leaves it will be immediately.What if the
Other conference they join won't allow them to be eligible immediately.You don't
Think they all know Wichita is loaded next year.
Or, Wichita decides to stick around for at least 1more year and their departure
Could be lesser.

The timetable has not been set (nor any invite for that matter). If the AAC will allow WSU in next year, my assumption is that WSU will make that happen.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Redhawk » March 28th, 2017, 6:26 am

Does anyone know the voting approval process for confirming a new member into the Valley?
Is it a simple majority or 2/3 or 3/4 of the vote. Also would Elgin or the league office get a vote?
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » March 28th, 2017, 9:26 pm

Redhawk wrote:Does anyone know the voting approval process for confirming a new member into the Valley?
Is it a simple majority or 2/3 or 3/4 of the vote. Also would Elgin or the league office get a vote?

3/4 vote is required
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby municup14 » March 29th, 2017, 4:31 am

Wichita leaving is more than just the basketball team.Can you
Imagine the scheduling headache it would produce for all the
Other sports as well.This isn't just a basketball decision, it's a
All sports decision.
I like to see how much Creighton's travel budget increased.
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BlueChipShock » March 29th, 2017, 5:56 am

municup14 wrote:Wichita leaving is more than just the basketball team.Can you
All sports decision.

Probably not as much travel for WSU as you think..East and West Divisions. WSU would have conference home and home games with. SMU (Dallas), Tulsa, Tulane (New Orleans), Houston and Memphis.....and 3 road games every other year with other six. You know fun places to visit like Orlando. Now places like New Orleans and Dallas may not be on par with Peoria or Carbondale as far as destinations go but we will suffer thru it :D ....If it happens, it will be announced either at the F4 or right after. The NCAA coaches conference is always at the F4 so betting something is announced Sunday or Tuesday.
BlueChipShock
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby SubGod22 » March 29th, 2017, 8:12 am

BlueChipShock wrote:
municup14 wrote:Wichita leaving is more than just the basketball team.Can you
All sports decision.

Probably not as much travel for WSU as you think..East and West Divisions. WSU would have conference home and home games with. SMU (Dallas), Tulsa, Tulane (New Orleans), Houston and Memphis.....and 3 road games every other year with other six. You know fun places to visit like Orlando. Now places like New Orleans and Dallas may not be on par with Peoria or Carbondale as far as destinations go but we will suffer thru it :D ....If it happens, it will be announced either at the F4 or right after. The NCAA coaches conference is always at the F4 so betting something is announced Sunday or Tuesday.

My understanding is there will be no divisions. For basketball, it sounds like they try to give the top teams H/H with each other and then only play one game each against the bottom of the conference. Which, with how things look, that would mean ECU, USF and Tulane as probably the bottom 3.

Other sports would probably be similar.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » March 29th, 2017, 8:38 am

Cdizzle wrote:Because it's interesting watching people dream up inventive ideas of how to improve the conference after accepting and excusing mediocrity (or let's be honest, worse) for a decade. Everyone is listing things they want the league and their schools to do in order to improve the league once WSU leaves. Elgin is walking around like a giant sadsack. It would be pretty entertaining if it wasn't so sad.

You can already see the sense of relief in the tone of different MVC teams media coverage. They knew there was no way they could compete resource wise against WSU, but now with WSU Possibly leaving they don't have to try and compete. They can see the light at the end of the tunnel and they don't have to change a thing. It is a win-win for everybody (except the fans) - but looking at attendance numbers they don't care anyway.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » March 29th, 2017, 8:54 am

BCPanther wrote:The shares belong to the league no matter what. That's who the NCAA makes the check out to.

I'd make Wichita ineligible for the auto bid, therefore ensuring being a two bid league.

If the MVC kicks them out or WSU exits immediately (due to being made in eligible for the auto bid), they would not be part of the MVC, so the MVC would get NOTHING of WSU's tourney run this upcoming year. Would make a lot more sense to not risk that and get a cut of 2-6 games rather than the 1 game that would be pretty much guaranteed from whoever else got the auto bid.

WSU stays - MVC Splits 2-6 games

Kick WSU out/WSU exits immediately - MVC Splits 1 game, WSU gets all of 2-6 games.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby All-MVC Fan » March 29th, 2017, 9:19 am

Snaggletooth wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:Because it's interesting watching people dream up inventive ideas of how to improve the conference after accepting and excusing mediocrity (or let's be honest, worse) for a decade. Everyone is listing things they want the league and their schools to do in order to improve the league once WSU leaves. Elgin is walking around like a giant sadsack. It would be pretty entertaining if it wasn't so sad.

You can already see the sense of relief in the tone of different MVC teams media coverage. They knew there was no way they could compete resource wise against WSU, but now with WSU Possibly leaving they don't have to try and compete. They can see the light at the end of the tunnel and they don't have to change a thing. It is a win-win for everybody (except the fans) - but looking at attendance numbers they don't care anyway.

While collegiate sports attendance has been down across the board for several years, no doubt the struggles of MVC teams to attract decent crowds has as much to do with lack of on-court success as with Netflix and X-Box. I am continually amazed at the inability, or unwillingness, of MVC administrators to see how much money they are leaving on the table in ticket sales alone if they just invested a bit to put a high quality product on the floor. And that's not even taking into account the possibility of raising ticket prices once the success "takes hold." What would it mean to the average MVC school if they could sell 5,000 more tickets per game at an average of $15 a ticket? That's roughly $1M for a 13 or 14 game home schedule. Do that consistently, and you can raise prices. And you'll get more donations. And you'll get more merchandising money. Could any of the MVC programs use an extra $1M? And it really is an extra $1M, because your fixed costs per game remain the same...

Maybe you don't get 5,000 extra tickets sold per game. Maybe it could be half that. Any MVC program need an extra $500,000? If a donor came to give that check it would warrant a newspaper article. So, I'm pretty sure it would be a good thing for all the schools in the Valley.

Sometimes, you need to find a way, any way, to invest in your program to make it a winner. It seems like a fairly predictable formula. I'm surprised that more schools don't follow it.

I doubt that there is really a lack of "trying" at MVC schools. I just think that sometimes, they're "trying" at the wrong things...
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » March 29th, 2017, 10:04 am

All-MVC Fan wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:

While collegiate sports attendance has been down across the board for several years, no doubt the struggles of MVC teams to attract decent crowds has as much to do with lack of on-court success as with Netflix and X-Box. I am continually amazed at the inability, or unwillingness, of MVC administrators to see how much money they are leaving on the table in ticket sales alone if they just invested a bit to put a high quality product on the floor. And that's not even taking into account the possibility of raising ticket prices once the success "takes hold." What would it mean to the average MVC school if they could sell 5,000 more tickets per game at an average of $15 a ticket? That's roughly $1M for a 13 or 14 game home schedule. Do that consistently, and you can raise prices. And you'll get more donations. And you'll get more merchandising money. Could any of the MVC programs use an extra $1M? And it really is an extra $1M, because your fixed costs per game remain the same...

Maybe you don't get 5,000 extra tickets sold per game. Maybe it could be half that. Any MVC program need an extra $500,000? If a donor came to give that check it would warrant a newspaper article. So, I'm pretty sure it would be a good thing for all the schools in the Valley.

Sometimes, you need to find a way, any way, to invest in your program to make it a winner. It seems like a fairly predictable formula. I'm surprised that more schools don't follow it.

I doubt that there is really a lack of "trying" at MVC schools. I just think that sometimes, they're "trying" at the wrong things...

You are assuming that investing upfront will give you the proper return. Most college budgets, WSU included, went up once the success happened. It wasn't a ton of $$$ first then followed by success. It was success followed by $$$.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball