Sounds like Wichita St to the AAC... Who gets an Invite?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Sounds like Wichita St to the AAC... Who gets an Invite?

Postby Cdizzle » April 21st, 2017, 8:45 am

BCPanther wrote:There's a fine line between wanting to keep a very good program and whoring yourself out to the whims of that one program. Case in point, Iowa State's AD brokering the deal to let Texas have the Longhorn Network to make sure he didn't end up in the Mountain West and all the turmoil it's caused in that league.

While I hold with Play Angry's more rational takes above over Snaggletooth's, I'm not sure your example is a good one. Perhaps the B12-2 'whored itself out' to Texas. But the Big12 is also still together and a P5 conference. That method has worked out much better for them than the current methodology the MVC employs.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEARZ77 » April 21st, 2017, 10:03 am

Cdizzle wrote:
BCPanther wrote:There's a fine line between wanting to keep a very good program and whoring yourself out to the whims of that one program. Case in point, Iowa State's AD brokering the deal to let Texas have the Longhorn Network to make sure he didn't end up in the Mountain West and all the turmoil it's caused in that league.

While I hold with Play Angry's more rational takes above over Snaggletooth's, I'm not sure your example is a good one. Perhaps the B12-2 'whored itself out' to Texas. But the Big12 is also still together and a P5 conference. That method has worked out much better for them than the current methodology the MVC employs.

From your perspective. One could also argue that knowing WSU was bent on leaving , they stayed firm and got WSU to make a quick decision so things could move forward for everyone. Looking at where WSU ended up compared to Creighton, one might argue WSU settled for less in a desire just to make a move. I think this was played well by the league given WSU was going to leave one way or another. Instead of it playing out longer, the league was able to be proactive in pursuing new members.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » April 21st, 2017, 10:42 am

BEARZ77 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

From your perspective. One could also argue that knowing WSU was bent on leaving , they stayed firm and got WSU to make a quick decision so things could move forward for everyone. Looking at where WSU ended up compared to Creighton, one might argue WSU settled for less in a desire just to make a move. I think this was played well by the league given WSU was going to leave one way or another. Instead of it playing out longer, the league was able to be proactive in pursuing new members.

BEARZ77 well stated :+1:
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby shocktheheart » April 21st, 2017, 10:43 am

BEARZ77 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

The MVC hasn't been proactive in realignment since I have been alive. I'm 40 years old. They have been reactive with all moves. WSU made the best move possible considering the situation that presented itself.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 21st, 2017, 10:56 am

shocktheheart wrote:The MVC hasn't been proactive in realignment since I have been alive. I'm 40 years old. They have been reactive with all moves. WSU made the best move possible considering the situation that presented itself.

Right.

However, the MVFC allowing WSU to park there wasn't going to keep them in the MVC. The only reason football was discussed at WSU was in case it was needed for the AAC/MWC. They wanted to show those conferences they could/would. They found out the AAC wouldn't require it so they dropped the idea of football and went on with life until they got their invite.

Good for them.

Let's not pretend like Patty V chased them out with her comments about football
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » April 21st, 2017, 11:20 am

My point about proactive was that the league could have catered to whatever WSU requested in an attempt to stave off the inevitable longer; they didn't, and so WSU moved on and the league was able to get about the business of adding new members. Best they could do with the situation given WSU was gonna leave if not immediately, then as soon as an offer they really liked presented itself. Obviously they thought the AAC was good enough, and it is a definite plus move, but still certainly not as advantageous as what Creighton was able to accomplish.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » April 21st, 2017, 11:25 am

BEARZ77 wrote:My point about proactive was that the league could have catered to whatever WSU requested in an attempt to stave off the inevitable longer; they didn't, and so WSU moved on and the league was able to get about the business of adding new members. Best they could do with the situation given WSU was gonna leave if not immediately, then as soon as an offer they really liked presented itself. Obviously they thought the AAC was good enough, and it is a definite plus move, but still certainly not as advantageous as what Creighton was able to accomplish.

There is a difference between wanting the league to cater to you and wanting the league to not just cater to 6 schools in Illinois that don't give a crap about being nationally relevant. If the league's positions was, and I'm not saying it was, "well, they are probably going to leave anyway so screw them" then I think the current state of the league is very easy to understand.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » April 21st, 2017, 11:38 am

That constant whine about nobody else but Wichita caring about being relevant is tiresome. Maybe playing it somewhere else would be a good idea. I don't think anyone here buys it or really cares that that is what you believe.
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » April 21st, 2017, 11:39 am

Cdizzle wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:My point about proactive was that the league could have catered to whatever WSU requested in an attempt to stave off the inevitable longer; they didn't, and so WSU moved on and the league was able to get about the business of adding new members. Best they could do with the situation given WSU was gonna leave if not immediately, then as soon as an offer they really liked presented itself. Obviously they thought the AAC was good enough, and it is a definite plus move, but still certainly not as advantageous as what Creighton was able to accomplish.

There is a difference between wanting the league to cater to you and wanting the league to not just cater to 6 schools in Illinois that don't give a crap about being nationally relevant. If the league's positions was, and I'm not saying it was, "well, they are probably going to leave anyway so screw them" then I think the current state of the league is very easy to understand.

You honestly think Bradley and ISU don't give a crap?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » April 21st, 2017, 11:41 am

BEARZ77 wrote:That constant whine about nobody else but Wichita caring about being relevant is tiresome. Maybe playing it somewhere else would be a good idea. I don't think anyone here buys it or really cares that that is what you believe.

Paul Lusk and Marty Simmons are still coaches in the Valley. So.

Having to win 30+ games to make the NCAA tournament as an at-large is much more tiresome.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball