Sounds like Wichita St to the AAC... Who gets an Invite?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Sounds like Wichita St to the AAC... Who gets an Invite?

Postby Redhawk » March 21st, 2017, 10:48 am

Dean Wormer wrote:From what I remember, I believe Evansville's basketball budget is not near the bottom. Certainly the facilities are above par, and the arena isn't anywhere near small. I think coaching salary may be light, but does Simmons deserve any more?

There is no BIG out there, but without Wichita, I am not so sure there is any BIG in here either.

By BIG I mean larger enrollments, bigger athletic budgets, and larger & more competitive athletic programs across the board. The XSDU's fit this profile to align with ISUr, MSU, UNI, SIU and to some extent ISUb. Valpo is SMALL in enrollment, under 5K, small arena 5K and small market. Would be small fish in a BIG pond in the Valley. If adding a basketball only school Omaha, UMKC, UIC and UWM have much more long term potential. It's not always about basketball history and notoriety...Loyola got in because they are a larger school in a new and bigger market. The Valley should follow that criteria going forward.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MidWestMidMajor » March 21st, 2017, 11:08 am

One school in the Summit that might be "poach-able" is Univ of Denver.

They are a private school among a conference of public schools and only one other private- Oral Roberts. I think they might prefer associating with Drake, Bradley, Loyola, and Evansville. In the past few years they have been in the Sun Belt, the WAC, and the Summit. They've been looking for a good conference fit.

What does Denver bring to the table?: a huge endowment ($600M), great facilities, winners of the Director's Cup (top 1-AAA sports program) 8 out of the last 9 years, #1 hockey team heading into the NCAA tournament. They've been to the NCAA's in Soccer (final 4 last year), Volleyball, and LaCrosse (champions 2015). They clearly have a commitment to excel in sports. In terms of basketball, this year their RPI is only 212 (UIC's is 248, UMKC's is 186). But their basketball team was in the NIT in 2013.

I realize it's a bit of a stretch. Valpo's RPI of 72 is the best quick fix. But they could get poached one day by the A10 to replace Dayton. Denver really is caught by geography. It's been said that they would like to be in the WCC with other quality private schools, but the WCC is not interested without big travel subsidies. So Denver could be a very stable MVC member.

The footprint of the Summit is close to the MVC; Denver already travels from Fargo to Tulsa to Ft. Wayne.
The question is: would MVC schools be willing to travel to Denver to pick up a school like this?
MidWestMidMajor
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Cdizzle » March 21st, 2017, 11:10 am

Redhawk wrote:
Dean Wormer wrote:From what I remember, I believe Evansville's basketball budget is not near the bottom. Certainly the facilities are above par, and the arena isn't anywhere near small. I think coaching salary may be light, but does Simmons deserve any more?

There is no BIG out there, but without Wichita, I am not so sure there is any BIG in here either.

By BIG I mean larger enrollments, bigger athletic budgets, and larger & more competitive athletic programs across the board. The XSDU's fit this profile to align with ISUr, MSU, UNI, SIU and to some extent ISUb. Valpo is SMALL in enrollment, under 5K, small arena 5K and small market. Would be small fish in a BIG pond in the Valley. If adding a basketball only school Omaha, UMKC, UIC and UWM have much more long term potential. It's not always about basketball history and notoriety...Loyola got in because they are a larger school in a new and bigger market. The Valley should follow that criteria going forward.

The MVC isn't a BIG pond right now. It's a small pond with WSU. It's a puddle if WSU leaves.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » March 21st, 2017, 11:33 am

MidWestMidMajor wrote:One school in the Summit that might be "poach-able" is Univ of Denver.

They are a private school among a conference of public schools and only one other private- Oral Roberts. I think they might prefer associating with Drake, Bradley, Loyola, and Evansville. In the past few years they have been in the Sun Belt, the WAC, and the Summit. They've been looking for a good conference fit.

What does Denver bring to the table?: a huge endowment ($600M), great facilities, winners of the Director's Cup (top 1-AAA sports program) 8 out of the last 9 years, #1 hockey team heading into the NCAA tournament. They've been to the NCAA's in Soccer (final 4 last year), Volleyball, and LaCrosse (champions 2015). They clearly have a commitment to excel in sports. In terms of basketball, this year their RPI is only 212 (UIC's is 248, UMKC's is 186). But their basketball team was in the NIT in 2013.

I realize it's a bit of a stretch. Valpo's RPI of 72 is the best quick fix. But they could get poached one day by the A10 to replace Dayton. Denver really is caught by geography. It's been said that they would like to be in the WCC with other quality private schools, but the WCC is not interested without big travel subsidies. So Denver could be a very stable MVC member.

The footprint of the Summit is close to the MVC; Denver already travels from Fargo to Tulsa to Ft. Wayne.
The question is: would MVC schools be willing to travel to Denver to pick up a school like this?
Denver was considered last go around. The issue with them is how few MVC sports they sponsor, and their unwillingness to add them. They were a high target until that all came around and then they were told "Thanks, but we'll look elsewhere"
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Fargobison » March 21st, 2017, 11:33 am

isumvc1 wrote:
Sub is completely correct, this is why the dakotas will never be in the MVC, there is no way they're going to give up home court advantage for their league basketball tournament, it just not going to happen, they draw large crowds, it's a money maker, and 99.9% of the time a dakota team wins, the lone exception was the western illinois women winning the women's league tournament title this past year.

I see this and it is very wrong from an NDSU perspective. The Summit tournament in SF means basically nothing to NDSU. We don't gain really any advantage from it at all. It is just a place that is somewhat close to travel to and even then the dates the league schedules the tournament makes it very unfriendly to travel to. I need to take three days off work just to go, it isn't like the MVC tournament where the bulk of it is on the weekend.

The main thing NDSU values in the Summit is our relationship with SDSU, who has been a good rival and partner since we joined DI.

SDSU is much more entangled with the Summit then NDSU is, the conference tournament in SF is a massive deal to that school, its alumni and major donors.

I'd love to see NDSU go to the MVC, I think we've outgrown the Summit but since we are best as a package with SDSU I doubt it happens since they are so attached.
Fargobison
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby MidWestMidMajor » March 21st, 2017, 11:51 am

(I'm spending too much time thinking about this. I've gotta stop. But I want to see the MVC strengthened not just for next year, but the next 10-20 years.)

UMKC might be very pivotal... for 3 conferences.

The WAC is in trouble with Chicago State imploding. UTRGV wants to be in the Southland. NMSU is looking for a any port in the storm. Seattle keeps praying for a WCC invite. I think all the WAC schools must be "checking the life rafts".

With the Summit stabilizing, UMKC might want to return to the "I-29" Conference (the Summit). They must be spending a lot of money on travel all over 3 time zones.

Which means that if the MVC doesn't invite UMKC (relatively) soon, that ship could sail away. They won't be on the shelf forever.

How does the MVC see itself in 10-20 years? What sort of conference does it want to be? Where does it want to be? Is Iowa-Illinois-Indiana enough of a footprint (ex. UIC, Valpo)?

(I haven't forgotten about Mo.State. But if they ever get an invite from the Sun Belt...)
MidWestMidMajor
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Cdizzle » March 21st, 2017, 11:52 am

If the Valley is scared because the opportunity to scoop up UMKC might pass them by...well...I think that just about sums it up.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirds4Life » March 21st, 2017, 12:04 pm

You know, when people have thrown out the Birds joining the MAC being a terrible move, with the way the MVC is going, might not be as bad as everyone thinks.....
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 21st, 2017, 12:08 pm

Add Belmont
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » March 21st, 2017, 12:17 pm

Cdizzle wrote:If the Valley is scared because the opportunity to scoop up UMKC might pass them by...well...I think that just about sums it up.

Ding, mother f-ing, ding.

If UMKC is the answer, the MVC needs to shut the f down and call it a good run while it lasted.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball