Muller to Dayton?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Muller to Dayton?

Postby Wufan » April 1st, 2017, 7:48 am

Redhawk wrote:
WSpringsBird wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking of him as well. 10 ppg and 3.9 apg as a freshman. However, even he was pretty up and down during his freshman year. He really caught fire at the end of the year, but during the season there were games in which he disappeared. He was also a bit of a defensive liability. Mind you, I (obviously!) would have loved to have kept him, but if he's the best true freshman PG in the MVC over the past decade--and even he was pretty up and down, and fell short of making the tournament--it shows that it's a lot to ask for Clarance or anyone else to come in and lead the team to a tourney during his first year. (I do think Clarance will ultimately be a real impact player, but we should expect some growing pains during Year 1.)


No doubt Clarence will have growing pains. That's where having Evans as a backup will be so beneficial
to him and the team.


History would say he is more likely to back up Evans than start in front of him in his first year.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 4105
Joined: October 19th, 2010, 8:14 pm

Re: Muller to Dayton?

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: Muller to Dayton?

Postby Redhawk » April 1st, 2017, 8:17 am

Wufan wrote:
Redhawk wrote:
WSpringsBird wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking of him as well. 10 ppg and 3.9 apg as a freshman. However, even he was pretty up and down during his freshman year. He really caught fire at the end of the year, but during the season there were games in which he disappeared. He was also a bit of a defensive liability. Mind you, I (obviously!) would have loved to have kept him, but if he's the best true freshman PG in the MVC over the past decade--and even he was pretty up and down, and fell short of making the tournament--it shows that it's a lot to ask for Clarance or anyone else to come in and lead the team to a tourney during his first year. (I do think Clarance will ultimately be a real impact player, but we should expect some growing pains during Year 1.)


No doubt Clarence will have growing pains. That's where having Evans as a backup will be so beneficial
to him and the team.


History would say he is more likely to back up Evans than start in front of him in his first year.


I am optimistic that Clarence is the type of player that alters history.
Redhawk
MVC starter
MVC starter
 
Posts: 298
Joined: November 13th, 2015, 7:41 am

Re: Muller to Dayton?

Postby Cdizzle » April 3rd, 2017, 9:20 am

WSpringsBird wrote:
Redhawk wrote:
Wufan wrote:Wasn't a Nic Moore a freshman starter?

Yes....and a really good one! He jumped to the American just like the Shockers are going to.
Worked out well for Nic...3 time First team all AAC, 2 time Player of the Year!


Yeah, I was thinking of him as well. 10 ppg and 3.9 apg as a freshman. However, even he was pretty up and down during his freshman year. He really caught fire at the end of the year, but during the season there were games in which he disappeared. He was also a bit of a defensive liability. Mind you, I (obviously!) would have loved to have kept him, but if he's the best true freshman PG in the MVC over the past decade--and even he was pretty up and down, and fell short of making the tournament--it shows that it's a lot to ask for Clarance or anyone else to come in and lead the team to a tourney during his first year. (I do think Clarance will ultimately be a real impact player, but we should expect some growing pains during Year 1.)

THIS is a great take. My argument is not that Clarance will not end up being solid next year, nor that he won't eventually be a great player. My argument is that it's a lot to ask of a true freshman PG to lead a team to NCAA-type success.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2080
Joined: November 11th, 2010, 11:28 am

Re: Muller to Dayton?

Postby ACECARD » April 3rd, 2017, 1:18 pm

Very, very few true freshmen PG's are going to lead a team to the NCAA's. Maybe one going to Kentucky, Duke, or NC.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 548
Joined: August 13th, 2010, 7:41 pm

Re: Muller to Dayton?

Postby tribecalledquest » April 4th, 2017, 8:50 am

Redhawk wrote:
I am optimistic that Clarence is the type of player that alters history.


Alters history? Like, gets health care reform passed?
tribecalledquest
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 884
Joined: August 4th, 2010, 10:57 am

Re: Muller to Dayton?

Postby ACECARD » April 4th, 2017, 9:33 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Redhawk wrote:
I am optimistic that Clarence is the type of player that alters history.


Alters history? Like, gets health care reform passed?

Or finds a cure for cancer.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 548
Joined: August 13th, 2010, 7:41 pm

Re: Muller to Dayton?

Postby Redhawk » April 4th, 2017, 9:48 am

ACECARD wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
Redhawk wrote:
I am optimistic that Clarence is the type of player that alters history.


Alters history? Like, gets health care reform passed?

Or finds a cure for cancer.


Or actually get ISUr into the Big Dance after a 20 year drought. All 3 seem improbable
right now!

If you are a fan of alternate history you know that there must be a "point of divergence."
The Birds have lost the Arch Madness Final 5 times in the last 9 years. To change that history
someone needs to get hot for 3 days in St Louis or at the very least make the shot that wins
the damn thing. Nic Moore missed his chance, Paris Lee couldn't do it...can Clarance?
Tune in next season to find out!
Redhawk
MVC starter
MVC starter
 
Posts: 298
Joined: November 13th, 2015, 7:41 am

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: All-MVC Fan, Google [Bot], Oreo1 and 22 guests