Muller to Dayton?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Muller to Dayton?

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 30th, 2017, 10:58 am

Cdizzle wrote:I think, as with most coaching searches, very few people really know who contacted whom.

WSU fans should know better. So far, Muller hasn't done anything that looks like he's trying to bail at any opportunity. And so far, he hasn't failed at replacing an important class of players.

He may do 1 or both of those things in the future, maybe even next year. But I get tired of everyone in the Valley (and the country) yelling "Marshall to anywhere" and "WSU will suck now that X,Y,Z graduated"...every year. So I won't do the same to others until I have reason to.

:Cheers:
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Play Angry » March 30th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Cdizzle wrote:I think, as with most coaching searches, very few people really know who contacted whom.

WSU fans should know better. So far, Muller hasn't done anything that looks like he's trying to bail at any opportunity. And so far, he hasn't failed at replacing an important class of players.

He may do 1 or both of those things in the future, maybe even next year. But I get tired of everyone in the Valley (and the country) yelling "Marshall to anywhere" and "WSU will suck now that X,Y,Z graduated"...every year. So I won't do the same to others until I have reason to.

Yep.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » March 30th, 2017, 11:11 pm

When Muller shows me he can lose 3 or 4 starters and reload, then I will believe he's not in a rebuilding year next year. Marshall has done that repeatedly and WSU has been told in every one of those years that WSU was headed toward the abyss because of all the player losses.

Muller has replaced A LOT of players during his time at IlSU. He either runs them off or they leave of their own accord. Marshall has had his share of player turnover at WSU. Marshall's player turnover seems to be based on playing time. Muller's appears to be players who don't mesh with Muller.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » March 31st, 2017, 7:10 am

Aargh wrote:When Muller shows me he can lose 3 or 4 starters and reload, then I will believe he's not in a rebuilding year next year.

Since you seem to have no clue about how the Redbirds are reloading next year here is a quick summary:

Hawkins - Replaced by Malik Yarbrough. Transfer from Saint Louis who was A10 Freshman of the Year with an avg of 10 pts and 5 rbs per game.

Wills - William Tinsley and most likely Zach Copeland. Both quality top 50 Juco shooting guards.
Typical 6'-4" to 6'-6" athletic wings that Muller loves but great shooters too.

Lee - These are the biggest shoes to fill but Birds have Elijah Clarance committed who is likely the best recruit that Muller has ever brought to ISUr. Should start from day one and will be backed up by an
improving Keyshawn Evans.

Add these players with two strong returning big man in MM and Fayne along with backups Clayton,
King David and 6'-9" New Mexico transfer Romine they will actually have more depth next season.
Most likely won't be 17-1 again but definitely not a rebuilding year!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 31st, 2017, 7:22 am

Aargh wrote:When Muller shows me he can lose 3 or 4 starters and reload, then I will believe he's not in a rebuilding year next year. Marshall has done that repeatedly and WSU has been told in every one of those years that WSU was headed toward the abyss because of all the player losses.

Muller has replaced A LOT of players during his time at IlSU. He either runs them off or they leave of their own accord. Marshall has had his share of player turnover at WSU. Marshall's player turnover seems to be based on playing time. Muller's appears to be players who don't mesh with Muller.

Notice only 1 Redbird fan defended this statement. If this were questioning anything about the Shockers, ten fans would go on the defensive and start attacking that poster.

Per your statement, we will see on Muller, but he does reload every year. He loses 5-6 players every season (transfer or graduation...including really good players like Reggie Lynch and Nic Moore) and seems to do okay reloading and competing each year. So there is some precedence that he can do this.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » March 31st, 2017, 7:33 am

Looking at most of Aargh's recent posts he seems intent on celebrating WSU's good fortune and well earned reward with making as many parting shots at all things MVC he can. Hey to the victor go the spoils. Just find it interesting to contrast some of the WSU comments to Creighton posters when they were in a similar spot and what a few of them are posting now[ notice I said a few]. It is what it is.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » March 31st, 2017, 7:39 am

Redhawk wrote:
Aargh wrote:When Muller shows me he can lose 3 or 4 starters and reload, then I will believe he's not in a rebuilding year next year.

Since you seem to have no clue about how the Redbirds are reloading next year here is a quick summary:

Hawkins - Replaced by Malik Yarbrough. Transfer from Saint Louis who was A10 Freshman of the Year with an avg of 10 pts and 5 rbs per game.

Wills - William Tinsley and most likely Zach Copeland. Both quality top 50 Juco shooting guards.
Typical 6'-4" to 6'-6" athletic wings that Muller loves but great shooters too.

Lee - These are the biggest shoes to fill but Birds have Elijah Clarance committed who is likely the best recruit that Muller has ever brought to ISUr. Should start from day one and will be backed up by an
improving Keyshawn Evans.

Add these players with two strong returning big man in MM and Fayne along with backups Clayton,
King David and 6'-9" New Mexico transfer Romine they will actually have more depth next season.
Most likely won't be 17-1 again but definitely not a rebuilding year!

If I wanted to be like most non-WSU posters over the last 4 years, I'd start screaming about how none of them can replace Lee and Hawkins and how ISUr will "fall back to the pack".

I'm not going to because frankly, I have no idea about any of those guys, but this is exactly the type of crap that has been said about WSU every year it seems.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » March 31st, 2017, 7:40 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Aargh wrote:When Muller shows me he can lose 3 or 4 starters and reload, then I will believe he's not in a rebuilding year next year. Marshall has done that repeatedly and WSU has been told in every one of those years that WSU was headed toward the abyss because of all the player losses.

Notice only 1 Redbird fan defended this statement. If this were questioning anything about the Shockers, ten fans would go on the defensive and start attacking that poster.

Per your statement, we will see on Muller, but he does reload every year. He loses 5-6 players every season (transfer or graduation...including really good players like Reggie Lynch and Nic Moore) and seems to do okay reloading and competing each year. So there is some precedence that he can do this.

The only thing I challenge with this ... Is it really a reload if you don't make the NCAA? I mean, ISUr has had really good teams, but hasn't been able to break through. I don't think you guys are happy with a reload that is strictly Top tier of the Valley with no NCAAs?
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redhawk » March 31st, 2017, 7:49 am

Stickboy46 wrote:If I wanted to be like most non-WSU posters over the last 4 years, I'd start screaming about how none of them can replace Lee and Hawkins and how ISUr will "fall back to the pack".

I'm not going to because frankly, I have no idea about any of those guys, but this is exactly the type of crap that has been said about WSU every year it seems.

You can include me in the camp of those who thought that WSU would take a step back this year without
FVV and Baker. That just shows how great of a coach and recruiter Marshall is. He proved us all wrong
and deserves the extra props for that.

As for Muller he has improved his roster and MVC record every year despite several defections to the BiG.
So the track record indicates he can continue on this trend...especially without the Shockers in the MVC.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 31st, 2017, 8:11 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

The only thing I challenge with this ... Is it really a reload if you don't make the NCAA? I mean, ISUr has had really good teams, but hasn't been able to break through. I don't think you guys are happy with a reload that is strictly Top tier of the Valley with no NCAAs?

Most wins in team history (28)
17-1 conference record
First or Second team left out of NCAAs (warranted or not)

I agree with you, however, we don't blow the first game of the year with a 7 point lead with under 3 minutes to go and I bet we are in. I would say this is a reload given who we lose in terms of players.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball