MVC Call Emergency Meeting for Sunday

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Call Emergency Meeting for Sunday

Postby ACECARD » April 5th, 2017, 10:06 am

Snaggletooth wrote:
ACECARD wrote:Where will the money come from now to keep the rest of our basketball programs alive?

EU should do what SWOMO does - sell cattle, or go to D2.

Another vast post from Snag. Or should we say half vast.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bigdawg » April 5th, 2017, 1:18 pm

I've changed my tune on this a little bit but I think it might be best for the valley to play next year with just 19s. Don't rush into making a decision when it could be the wrong one. Feel like we have done that once already
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » April 5th, 2017, 2:14 pm

bigdawg wrote:I've changed my tune on this a little bit but I think it might be best for the valley to play next year with just 19s. Don't rush into making a decision when it could be the wrong one. Feel like we have done that once already

That's where I'm at. We are already a month later than we were when Creighton left. The haste to fill by the next year left us Loyola.

We can't afford another Loyola addition.

Play 9 for a year. It'll suck for scheduling but we'll live to find 2 more games at this point but if nothing else I guess we can add 1 non-D1 to the schedule early on to use as a "live scrimmage" rather than an RPI killer.

Give teams a year to consider and find the right fit. Or stay at 9 and find a scheduling alliance.

The conference tournament set up will be interesting. Would there be only 1 PIG on Thursday? The 7 seed is automatically put to Friday and the 8/9 play for the last spot OR do we just go to Friday through Sunday with the top 6?

Can we move the tournament to Family Arena in St. Charles? It would technically allow us to keep the Arch Madness name. It's where the women played. It seats 10,647. Probably a better set up

Realistically, no matter who we add it's probably smart to move out to Family Arena.Sure it may cause issues with downtown hotels and getting to the arena, but so be it.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » April 5th, 2017, 2:36 pm

If we play a year at 9 teams, okay.

But remember we went through the whole process when Creighton left. In theory, all that research and work done to select a team is still valid. So frankly, everyone in power should have an idea of next team up, and hopefully this meeting is just to make sure everyone's on the same page.

We should be prepared for this. And if we're not, launch Elgin into the sun.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby TheAsianSensation » April 5th, 2017, 2:38 pm

uniftw wrote:
bigdawg wrote:I've changed my tune on this a little bit but I think it might be best for the valley to play next year with just 19s. Don't rush into making a decision when it could be the wrong one. Feel like we have done that once already

That's where I'm at. We are already a month later than we were when Creighton left. The haste to fill by the next year left us Loyola.

We can't afford another Loyola addition.

Play 9 for a year. It'll suck for scheduling but we'll live to find 2 more games at this point but if nothing else I guess we can add 1 non-D1 to the schedule early on to use as a "live scrimmage" rather than an RPI killer.

Give teams a year to consider and find the right fit. Or stay at 9 and find a scheduling alliance.

The conference tournament set up will be interesting. Would there be only 1 PIG on Thursday? The 7 seed is automatically put to Friday and the 8/9 play for the last spot OR do we just go to Friday through Sunday with the top 6?

Can we move the tournament to Family Arena in St. Charles? It would technically allow us to keep the Arch Madness name. It's where the women played. It seats 10,647. Probably a better set up

Realistically, no matter who we add it's probably smart to move out to Family Arena.Sure it may cause issues with downtown hotels and getting to the arena, but so be it.

I think we're going to have to table the discussion on the conference tournament until after CBS voids our deal. Either way, we can go back to Friday-Monday instead of Thursday-Sunday.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 5th, 2017, 2:58 pm

Or we stay at 9 teams for a few years. Drop Thursday game and have the 8/9 seeds play each other on Tuesday or Wednesday at the 8 seeds home floor. Then, everything else remains status quo (7 seed would then get a bye to the quarters).
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » April 5th, 2017, 3:04 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:Or we stay at 9 teams for a few years. Drop Thursday game and have the 8/9 seeds play each other on Tuesday or Wednesday at the 8 seeds home floor. Then, everything else remains status quo (7 seed would then get a bye to the quarters).

:+1: Perfect...but could we move the tournament to the Sprint Center in Kansas City now? :Cheers:
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby unipanther99 » April 5th, 2017, 3:37 pm

The Family Arena in St. Charles? No thanks. If we're not staying in downtown St. Louis, move it to Moline like the women's tournament. I hear attendance has nearly doubled since they moved.

Personally, I'd say keep in at Scottrade for now.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby tribecalledquest » April 5th, 2017, 7:43 pm

If the Horizon is going to be aggressive I'm not in favor of just sitting at nine for a year. Wichita leaving is not a shock to the league office. They have been preparing for it. Sitting out a year doesn't help. Go after the schools you want right now.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby hot nuts » April 5th, 2017, 9:41 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:Or we stay at 9 teams for a few years. Drop Thursday game and have the 8/9 seeds play each other on Tuesday or Wednesday at the 8 seeds home floor. Then, everything else remains status quo (7 seed would then get a bye to the quarters).

That's fine, but lower the all session ticket prices. My crew goes to every game Thursday thru Sunday... I'm not paying that price for two less games.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball