Who Wins the MVC in 2017-18?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who Wins the MVC in 2017-18?

Postby UEACES80 » April 13th, 2017, 7:41 am

@ Play Angry:

Factual - who suspended Christensen and Pitching Coach Kemnitz? Not WSU the MVC did - WSU didn't own their assault on Molina. And Christensen still thought it was still part of the game months later.

What is sad is your twisted mind tries to justify it because 1) it was a WSU player who committed this act and 2) you seem to think it is justified since Molina later in life committed a horrible crime (that no UE fan tries to defend and nor should we)

http://www.yaleherald.com/archive/xxvii ... ialik.html

Only in a sports world gone mad could Ben Christensen be allowed to continue playing the game of baseball.

On Fri., Apr. 23, Christensen, Wichita State's star junior pitcher, fired a ball at Evansville second baseman Anthony Molina. The ball struck Molina in the eye, causing damage which could possibly ruin his vision for life.

Baseball can be dangerous. Other players' careers have ended on errant pitches or batted balls. But Molina was standing 30 feet from the batter's box at the time, and Christensen was warming up before the game. The ball he threw at Molina was a bullet, timed by an anonymous scout at 91 miles per hour.

Christensen claims that Molina was edging too close to Christensen and timing his pitches. The fair response, as taught to Christensen by his pitching coach Brent Kemnitz, was to throw at Molina to deter him from trying the same tactic again—much like a soldier would shoot at an enemy to deter him from trying to steal signals.

This analogy made sense to Kemnitz and Christensen, which is what is so troubling about the incident. Their sport had become like a war to them, and they were willing to engage in war-like methods to ensure victory.

The Missouri Valley Conference, of which Wichita State and Evansville are members, suspended Kemnitz and Christensen for the remainder of the season. Problem solved: two wayward sportsmen, taught a lesson and set back on the right track. Surely this incident did not reflect on mainstream baseball.

The right track for Christensen ended up taking him to the Chicago Cubs, who picked him in the first round of the amateur draft in July. He reflected on the Molina incident after being drafted, "It's not right what I did. But it's also part of the game. The people around baseball understand that, and it's sad the people not around baseball don't." I don't think Anthony Molina understands it.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Born2Shock » April 13th, 2017, 8:36 am

UEACES80 wrote:What you see as disrespect - I see as pride that a savage assault occurred to a UE athlete and the other University was basically cold hearted and not ashamed.

I'll hang that hat you mentioned on UE defeating WSU twice in the season that WSU made an unlikely trip to the Final Four.

Go away WSU - I have no other hard feelings towards any other MVC members.

Think Baker playing in those 2 games makes a difference? History says yes, since UE never beat Baker.
Born2Shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 13th, 2017, 8:52 am

uniftw wrote:
Drakey wrote:Why is the Horizon moving down? If you truly want Drake out of the conference you're just stupid. Drake won't always have an AD who screws up everything. It is the best market in the Valley. It's not like we are spending half of what everybody else does. I'm expecting Drake to be competitive in two to three years. I'm expecting more after that, but certainly would understand why nobody else does.

The issue is Drake has been trying, and failing, for 60 years. Yes, there was 07-08 (celebrating their 10 year reunion this year, BTW) but you can't fault fans from other programs looking at Drake and doubting that they will ever get it together.

They have the second smallest enrollment. Sure, they have the second biggest market but they are nothing there. Des Moines is 75% Hawkeye, 20% Cyclone, 3% Huskers, and I'm pretty sure there are actually more UNI alums in Des Moines than Drake. Every single UNI/Drake basketball game has just as many - almost always more - UNI fans than Drake fans. The times UNI has played Drake in football in Des Moines it's been 80% UNI fans. Drake is as relevant in Des Moines as UN-O is in Omaha or UM-KC in Kansas City.

It's much the same reason many feel Evansville will never be anything more than they already are.

It's why many fear Valpo. Valpo has a smaller enrollment than Drake. Would be the second smallest arena (and by only 500 seats) in the conference. Drake was only successful under Maury John and for one year under the Davis reign. Vaplo had success under the Drew Family but that entire family is now gone. They lost their only player that was a difference maker in the Horizon League. Many things about the scream Evansville circa late 80s and early 90s

:Violin:
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Horn28Clem30 » April 13th, 2017, 10:09 am

UEACES80 wrote:@ Play Angry:

Factual - who suspended Christensen and Pitching Coach Kemnitz? Not WSU the MVC did - WSU didn't own their assault on Molina. And Christensen still thought it was still part of the game months later.

What is sad is your twisted mind tries to justify it because 1) it was a WSU player who committed this act and 2) you seem to think it is justified since Molina later in life committed a horrible crime (that no UE fan tries to defend and nor should we)

Only in a sports world gone mad could Ben Christensen be allowed to continue playing the game of baseball.

On Fri., Apr. 23, Christensen, Wichita State's star junior pitcher, fired a ball at Evansville second baseman Anthony Molina. The ball struck Molina in the eye, causing damage which could possibly ruin his vision for life.

Baseball can be dangerous. Other players' careers have ended on errant pitches or batted balls. But Molina was standing 30 feet from the batter's box at the time, and Christensen was warming up before the game. The ball he threw at Molina was a bullet, timed by an anonymous scout at 91 miles per hour.

Christensen claims that Molina was edging too close to Christensen and timing his pitches. The fair response, as taught to Christensen by his pitching coach Brent Kemnitz, was to throw at Molina to deter him from trying the same tactic again—much like a soldier would shoot at an enemy to deter him from trying to steal signals.

This analogy made sense to Kemnitz and Christensen, which is what is so troubling about the incident. Their sport had become like a war to them, and they were willing to engage in war-like methods to ensure victory.

The Missouri Valley Conference, of which Wichita State and Evansville are members, suspended Kemnitz and Christensen for the remainder of the season. Problem solved: two wayward sportsmen, taught a lesson and set back on the right track. Surely this incident did not reflect on mainstream baseball.

The right track for Christensen ended up taking him to the Chicago Cubs, who picked him in the first round of the amateur draft in July. He reflected on the Molina incident after being drafted, "It's not right what I did. But it's also part of the game. The people around baseball understand that, and it's sad the people not around baseball don't." I don't think Anthony Molina understands it.

When I was first reading this, I thought it was an actual fight or something, not something that happens many times throughout the course of a baseball season.
Horn28Clem30
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby DUBulldog » April 13th, 2017, 10:48 am

Horn28Clem30 wrote:

When I was first reading this, I thought it was an actual fight or something, not something that happens many times throughout the course of a baseball season.

What that article incredibly failed to mention is that the player who was hit by the pitch was in the on-deck circle, not at the plate.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dean Wormer » April 13th, 2017, 11:05 am

Horn28Clem30 wrote:

Really? I have followed baseball for over 40 years, and have never heard of anything like this happening once, let alone "many times" throughout a baseball season. Fights happen many times over the course of a season, 90+ MPH fastballs to the eye to a player more than 20' from home plate do not.

The fact WSU never owned this still tarnishes them.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Horn28Clem30 » April 13th, 2017, 11:26 am

DUBulldog wrote:
Horn28Clem30 wrote:

What that article incredibly failed to mention is that the player who was hit by the pitch was in the on-deck circle, not at the plate.

Uh yeah...the way the article reads to me is that he was batting. Throwing at someone while they're batting happens all the time.
Horn28Clem30
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Blers » April 13th, 2017, 11:35 am

Illinois State, UNI, Loyola, Missouri State could all be in the mix; Bradley could surprise, southern will remain a solid middle pack team, though I really think losing O'Brien will hurt them more than losing Beane did.

I don't see Evansville or ISUb doing much to improve, and while i like the hire at Drake i'm sure it'll take time. If i had to guess i'd go:

ISUr
UNI
LUC
MSU
SIU
Bradley
Evansville
Drake
ISUb

LUC still has two spots to fill and I'll feel much more confident in us if we land Adarius Avery (the third leading scorer in JUCO who recently visited) as well as a JUCO big like Akiean Frederick. If we can nab those two i'd be feeling really good. We lost Milton but gain four really nice pieces and potentially two more.

MSU should be number one but Lusk is such a weird case coaching wise. Not saying Porter doesn't have questions, but it seems like Lusk will actively do the exact wrong thing at the exact wrong time.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UEACES80 » April 13th, 2017, 11:51 am

I have read over a dozen articles about it and the distance that Molina was from the plate varies from 12 feet to 25 feet. Also this was prior to the beginning of the game.

I have spoken to Wes Carroll (UE's current baseball coach) who was on the team and he was still saddened by the fact it happened. The act was simply out of any spectrum of normalcy at any level of baseball.
Attachments
bf0a1681-7c1d-50f4-b534-2911ce15cca9.image.jpg
bf0a1681-7c1d-50f4-b534-2911ce15cca9.image.jpg (5.12 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Snaggletooth » April 13th, 2017, 12:17 pm

DUBulldog wrote:What that article incredibly failed to mention is that the player who was hit by the pitch was in the on-deck circle, not at the plate.

Well that not true. He was not in the on-deck circle or even close to it. He was standing on the shocker dugout side, on the edge of the dirt/artificial turf surrounding home plate. Think of drawing a line 45 degree from home plate to where the turn starts and that is approximately where he was standing.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball