AAC approves Wichita State to join its ranks

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: AAC approves Wichita State to join its ranks

Postby Veritas » April 7th, 2017, 1:20 pm

Good Luck MoVal
I'll always have a soft spot for the conference and especially Bradley, Kung-Fu coin-tossing IlSU, SWOMO, Ace-Dad, and Lil Bro Drake whose shoes were always untied.

Will not miss STL, Elgin stupid comments on WSU taking more from the MoVal than what is contributed by the Shox, or that MVFC commish who ridiculed WSU last summer about looking at putting a football team in the conference. Definite strategic blunders.

Now go kick some ass! I'll keep an eye out for MoVal teams and cheer your success.
Go Valley...
Veritas
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mvcfan » April 7th, 2017, 2:11 pm

).
Last edited by mvcfan on April 7th, 2017, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » April 7th, 2017, 2:13 pm

I've been a Valley fan for decades going back to the 1960's. I have a lot of great memories of Valley teams and games. So there will be no parting bombs from me. I'll only wish each of you Best of Wishes and I'll be watching and cheering for you unless it is against us (or our best interests)
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Singeril » April 7th, 2017, 2:21 pm

Although I am happy for Wichita State for earning this step up, I have to say that I'm very sad for the university to leave the Valley. I have been a Valley fan all my life...from having a mother who is a Bradley alum and who had memories of the Melchiore days at BU to all of the great Central Illinois fans. The entire family was full of Bradley fans...one cousin is still a season ticket holder. I grew up a BU fan. When ISU-R joined the MVC, I had an interest in the Redbirds as well. I was actually a paperboy for the Bloomington Pantagraph. Eventually, I ended up at Wichita as a student and became a loyal Shocker fan during those days of Levingston, Carr, and Sherrod. Those were great years. My career took me to the east coast but I still followed the Valley...my roots were strong. A few years back, my family had the opportunity to move back to Valley territory. It's been great to see all of my old "friends" during this time. I hate to see this all end, wished the Valley was stronger like it was back in the day (I remember fierce Louisville vs. Bradley games at Robertson Field House) and that a move wasn't happening...but, it's time for the Shockers to do just that. Go Shocks! Go AAC! Go Valley!
Singeril
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Rogers101 » April 7th, 2017, 7:41 pm

Congrats Wichita St! It was fun to watch the Bears and Shockers battle it out while I was in college (09-12). I got to see the best college game of my life when we beat Wichita in Springfield in 2011 to win the conference. I think if any other team was in your shoes we'd take it and run. With the makeup of this conference hopefully it is sustainable. I know most of the league wants in the Big 12, but I'd guess everyone is looking at pie in the sky. I'll keep and eye on Wichita State in the coming years and I hope at minimum we can continue to play them in baseball moving forward.

Best of luck and who knows maybe we will get a Shockers/Valley matchup in the big dance next year.
Rogers101
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby purple&orange » April 8th, 2017, 8:29 am

Congrats and best of luck to the outgoing Shockers. The last 10 years or so have been a decade of program building and an opportunity came your way and you are moving on. I don't like it because of where it leaves the MVC, but I completely understand and any other school in the league with that chance would have also jumped at it.

I hope to see Wichita State move on and continue to be successful and don't change who you are. Part of your success is that mentality of being disrespected, not supposed to be here. Just because the conference logo on your homecourt changes doesn't change your outlook. Go win the AAC next season, go pack the conference tournament wherever it may be and speak kindly when you speak of us.

Maybe it's my outright disgust of Coach Cal and Kentucky (and their well behaved fan base..........) that made your tournament exit tough to swallow as an outsider. When you see them again some year in March, please embarrass them for the frauds they really are.

There are pissing matches on this board from all angles and every fanbase the last three years I chatted with in STL was a lot of fun. Will miss that.

Now here's the part that will rub some the wrong way but here goes......in some ways, not the national success in the NCAA Tournament part, but Wichita reminds me of what Evansville was in the late 80s-early 90s. A loud sold out house, a team that was a threat to win the league year in and year out. Being 6 years old in 1989 when UE won an NCAA game I can barely remember guys from that team and then growing up with the feeling every year should end with an NCAA or NIT birth. To get that back again........

Best of luck Wichita State, I hate you have to go, but I understand.
purple&orange
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Red » May 2nd, 2017, 7:15 am

Do any WSU fans know what share of the TV rights money you'll get from the AAC? My recall is that the AAC doesn't get all that much from ESPN to start and I assume most of that money is football based. Has it been reported what 1/12 of the basketball contract is worth? I realize it's more than what the Valley is getting which is essentially nothing, but is it safe to say that moving to the AAC will not be a financial advantage once the increased travel and expenses are concerned?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » May 2nd, 2017, 9:11 am

Details have not been disclosed, but most seem to believe WSU's non-football share of the contract will mirror Navy's football only share (meaning Navy would receive a ~70% share and WSU would receive a 30% share) of its pro rata proceeds from the TV contract.

The long-term value of the conference's television rights are up in the air as the current 7 year, $126 million contract expires at the end of 2020, and the league is in the process of either negotiating a new deal with ESPN or collecting bids from competitors.

Basically, we'll see.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » May 2nd, 2017, 9:57 am

Red wrote:Do any WSU fans know what share of the TV rights money you'll get from the AAC? My recall is that the AAC doesn't get all that much from ESPN to start and I assume most of that money is football based. Has it been reported what 1/12 of the basketball contract is worth? I realize it's more than what the Valley is getting which is essentially nothing, but is it safe to say that moving to the AAC will not be a financial advantage once the increased travel and expenses are concerned?

WSU also had to pay an entry fee to get into the AAC which will be paid by withholding future revenue from the TV contract i believe. WSU offered to pay the schools for their increase in travel costs for the first year due to WSU being added after budgets were set.

As stated before, the TV contract is up for renewal, which could be interesting. The American has grown in importance in football (and now basketball) but ESPN is cutting back. So it will be interesting to see if the increase in contract revenue will be as big as some hope.

As far as the financial advantage, there is a lot of what ifs there. If the TV contract increases, or enrollment increases, or NCAA shares increase etc etc, that could very easily offset the additional travel.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » June 30th, 2017, 10:28 pm

Adios MVC - best of luck to you guys in the future.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball