AAC approves Wichita State to join its ranks

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: AAC approves Wichita State to join its ranks

Postby isumvc1 » April 7th, 2017, 10:48 am

good luck WSU! Will miss you guys but you deserve better than the Elgin-lead MVC! Will be rooting for you all to do well!
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mike » April 7th, 2017, 11:00 am

This is a great move for WSU. Good Luck! I got a chuckle out of a statement from the chair of the AAC's Board of Directors. She commented on the strong athletic tradition that WSU will bring to that conference which is certainly true. She lost some credibility when, in the same sentence, she referred to WSU's strong academic tradition. Really?
Mike
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby tribecalledquest » April 7th, 2017, 11:07 am

glm38 wrote:Best of luck to the Shox and Shocker fans. I've really enjoyed conversing and occasionally arguing with you all over the years. I hope you tear up the AAC.

Personally I'll still try to catch Shocker games whenever possible. Just a quality program with a dedicated fan base.

Its sad and it does lessen the MVC but it does leave next year wide open.....

Seconded. Good Luck to the Shox. Any team in the league would have done the same.

The nine returning MVC teams need to step it up. A magic bullet isn't coming with the addition of one or three teams.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bball Junkie » April 7th, 2017, 11:18 am

So, with giving less than 24 months notice to the league, Wichita is not eligible to receive any money for their NCAA tournament credits, right? So, those will be distributed evenly among the remaining 9 Valley teams?
Bball Junkie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » April 7th, 2017, 11:20 am

Bball Junkie wrote:So, with giving less than 24 months notice to the league, Wichita is not eligible to receive any money for their NCAA tournament credits, right? So, those will be distributed evenly among the remaining 9 Valley teams?

That's correct. The league was siphoning off as much as they could while WSU was in the league, so it's not much of a difference. Well, it's about $2.25MM over the next 6 years by my calculations, but whatever. Keep the change.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » April 7th, 2017, 11:26 am

Cdizzle wrote:
Bball Junkie wrote:So, with giving less than 24 months notice to the league, Wichita is not eligible to receive any money for their NCAA tournament credits, right? So, those will be distributed evenly among the remaining 9 Valley teams?

That's correct. The league was siphoning off as much as they could while WSU was in the league, so it's not much of a difference. Well, it's about $2.25MM over the next 6 years by my calculations, but whatever. Keep the change.

They weren't 'siphoning off' anything. The distribution structure has been the exact same since the 90s.

Split into 12 'shares'
1 to the league office
2 to the team earning the share
1 to each of the other 9 teams.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » April 7th, 2017, 11:35 am

BCPanther wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

They weren't 'siphoning off' anything. The distribution structure has been the exact same since the 90s.

Split into 12 'shares'
1 to the league office

In the mid 1990's Wichita was siphoning off Illinois State, Bradley and SIU :)
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » April 7th, 2017, 11:53 am

In the year's leading up to Tulsa's exit, Missouri St, Evansville and UNI were brought on board. Only MSU and UE were competent at the time. UNI was a common punch line on the basketball floor. Drake went on probation, Creighton and Bradley had been driven into the ground and in the early stages of rebuilds. Wichita had just one finish higher than 6th (5th) in the post-Fogler days.

Many thought the league was doomed then. These moments are moments of opportunity, not defeat.
Last edited by squirrel on April 7th, 2017, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » April 7th, 2017, 11:54 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
BCPanther wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:That's correct. The league was siphoning off as much as they could while WSU was in the league, so it's not much of a difference. Well, it's about $2.25MM over the next 6 years by my calculations, but whatever. Keep the change.

Split into 12 'shares'
1 to the league office

In the mid 1990's Wichita was siphoning off Illinois State, Bradley and SIU :)

At lease we did something with the money :)
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby indymoon » April 7th, 2017, 12:03 pm

Svoboda wrote:
Wufan wrote:Honestly, a break up between the public and private schools is probably what's needed. It would allow each to pursue their goals with like minded institutions.
Completely agree.

Doesn't that presume that the publics want to spend more money than the private schools? SIU, InSU and MoSt are not in that position. I don't know the specifics but several are actually cutting athletic expenses.
indymoon
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball