The high opinions of fan boys

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby straykat » April 7th, 2017, 9:51 am

Every time a a domino falls in conference alignment, that's when everyone starts thinking their school is so much better than the next one. The fans of the bottom feeders (you know who you are) seem to think that the next school to join has to be at the level of the school that just left your conference. NEWS FLASH.... Wichita State and Creighton left for a reason. They are WAY to good to be in a conference with some of these schools that haven't peed a drop since Larry Bird and Hersey Hawkins moved on to the NBA.

I see posts about how horrible it would be if the Valley added UMKC, Oral Roberts or Omaha and we need to add SLU or NDSU. Why would SLU consider the MVC when they are already in a better conference with aspirations of getting in the Big East. Why would NDSU leave a conference that is now owned by the Dakota Schools. The Summit goes the way the Dakota schools want it to go. Who would give up that kind of control?

Would it be so terrible to invite UMKC? A school that over the last five to ten years has a better winning percentage against MVC competition than half the MVC members. And that includes wins over the mighty Wichita State. You get a television market that is better than all other MVC markets sans Chicago. You get a city that teams (and their fans) would actually enjoy traveling to. When was the last time someone said "Carbondale was a blast" or "I can't wait for our trip to Terre Haute, wooohooo"?
straykat
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: The high opinions of fan boys

Postby uniftw » April 7th, 2017, 10:01 am

straykat wrote:Would it be so terrible to invite UMKC?

yes

/discussion
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby straykat » April 7th, 2017, 10:25 am

Care to expand on that thought?
straykat
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby havoc » April 7th, 2017, 10:28 am

straykat wrote:You get a city that teams (and their fans) would actually enjoy traveling to. When was the last time someone said "Carbondale was a blast" or "I can't wait for our trip to Terre Haute, wooohooo"?

No offense to Wichita, and I'm probably going regret even bringing this up, but I can't imagine Wichita is on many people from Orlando, Connecticut, Houston, Memphis, Tampa, Dallas, Philadelphia, or New Orleans list of top cities to visit.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » April 7th, 2017, 10:30 am

havoc wrote:
straykat wrote:You get a city that teams (and their fans) would actually enjoy traveling to. When was the last time someone said "Carbondale was a blast" or "I can't wait for our trip to Terre Haute, wooohooo"?

No offense to Wichita, and I'm probably going regret even bringing this up, but I can't imagine Wichita is on many people from Orlando, Connecticut, Houston, Memphis, Tampa, Dallas, Philadelphia, or New Orleans list of top cities to visit.

Not even a little bit.

Although, a little surprisingly, I have already had a number of fans inquire about getting tickets.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 7th, 2017, 10:36 am

straykat wrote:Care to expand on that thought?

You really want me too?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby straykat » April 7th, 2017, 10:38 am

Yes. I do.
straykat
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby musiccitybulldog » April 7th, 2017, 10:47 am

I saw Valpo play in a tourney a couple years ago and they looked like they could whip up on any one in the Valley at that time. I wouldn't mind visiting Orville while going to a game.

Or Belmont, I could see driving 10 miles to see games and in usually good weather. Great place South Street to eat near there.

UMKC? :huh:
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 7th, 2017, 11:06 am

musiccitybulldog wrote:I saw Valpo play in a tourney a couple years ago and they looked like they could whip up on any one in the Valley at that time. I wouldn't mind visiting Orville while going to a game.

Or Belmont, I could see driving 10 miles to see games and in usually good weather. Great place South Street to eat near there.

UMKC? :huh:

Valpo lost their coach (Bryce Drew to Vanderbilt last season) and lost their best player and the reason they were very good to graduation this year (Alec Peters).

No thanks to Valpo.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » April 7th, 2017, 11:08 am

havoc wrote:

Thankfully Wichita doesn't really need visitor help to fill our arena.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball