The high opinions of fan boys

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: The high opinions of fan boys

Postby squirrel » April 7th, 2017, 2:46 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:NIT at-large bids earned by Valparaiso this year: 1
NIT at-large bids earned by MVC teams this year: 0 (ISU auto-bid)

Obviously the bar is lowered for the NIT, but still. It's a sign they're pretty decent.

Lowered how ? (I mean, beyond the autobid part), because to get an at-large for the NIT, you still pretty much have to have a NCAA-level resume (at least between RPI 55-80.) Getting an NIT at-large these days is generally pretty significant.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheAsianSensation » April 7th, 2017, 7:01 pm

squirrel wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:NIT at-large bids earned by Valparaiso this year: 1
NIT at-large bids earned by MVC teams this year: 0 (ISU auto-bid)

Obviously the bar is lowered for the NIT, but still. It's a sign they're pretty decent.

Lowered how ? (I mean, beyond the autobid part), because to get an at-large for the NIT, you still pretty much have to have a NCAA-level resume (at least between RPI 55-80.) Getting an NIT at-large these days is generally pretty significant.

It's only a modest difference, but a difference nonetheless. It's just because this year we had a weird situation with the power 5 conferences where the number of teams they had eligible for the NIT was down a bit.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby municup14 » April 8th, 2017, 5:59 am

I'm sure the school presidents will look at other things
The schools offer besides just basketball.
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » April 8th, 2017, 7:31 am

municup14 wrote:I'm sure the school presidents will look at other things
The schools offer besides just basketball.

If they do, they're idiots. Basketball makes the world go round financially in this league. You need teams that both now and into the future can compete for tournament bids.

The best answer is taking Valpo, Murray and Belmont and continuing to play an 18 game schedule with 7 home and homes and 4 single plays and scheduling strategically so that the top teams are only subject to playing the bottom teams once.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » April 8th, 2017, 8:04 am

That can be a little dicey; I'd hate to be a team battling for a title and the team in contention with me got to play 6 games against lesser teams while I got 3, and then the only time I played them was on their home court. I still don't see if we reinstitute the non con scheduling expectations, that then playing more conference games is a bad thing given how hard scheduling is. Just don't schedule any sub 200 teams; if the conference mandates scheduling levels, unless you get stuck in a tourney you should at least avoid too much of a hit. That said , if we go to 12, I doubt we play 22 conference games, but I could live with 20.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » April 8th, 2017, 9:02 am

If 12 teams split into 2 divisions - play a Round Robin in your division for 10 games and each team of the other division once for 16 games. Then seed the tourney with the top two in each division getting byes and then E3 vs W6, E4 vs W5, E5 vs W4 and E6 vs W3 on Day 1. Thus 4 PIG games on Day 1.

Then you are down to 8 teams and proceed as normal - it makes the regular season even a little more important with only 4 byes (33%) instead of 6 (60%).
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Tom Servo » April 8th, 2017, 9:08 am

UEACES80 wrote:If 12 teams split into 2 divisions - play a Round Robin in your division for 10 games and each team of the other division once for 16 games. Then seed the tourney with the top two in each division getting byes and then E3 vs W6, E4 vs W5, E5 vs W4 and E6 vs W3 on Day 1. Thus 4 PIG games on Day 1.

Then you are down to 8 teams and proceed as normal - it makes the regular season even a little more important with only 4 byes (33%) instead of 6 (60%).

That seems like the best plan to me as well.
Go Aces!
Tom Servo
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » April 8th, 2017, 9:12 am

The problem with that it adds 2 more non con games to have to schedule and most teams struggle to fill their schedules now with enough quality teams. Unless we can get agreements with another couple solid midmajor leagues for inter league challenges on a yearly basis to fill the void, I don't want to see conference games any less in number.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » April 8th, 2017, 9:16 am

Go all out to schedule American Conference teams to mess with minds of the WSU fans.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » April 8th, 2017, 10:52 am

I can't imagine anyone is ready to reduce the number of league games. I think we'll continue to play 18 regardless of the number of teams. Hell, the ACC is going to 20 the year after next...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball