Home And Home w/Wichita State

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Home And Home w/Wichita State

Postby BCPanther » April 17th, 2017, 12:26 pm

The CBE Classic is an MTE. When you have one of those that has two home games, the home games are always going to be horrible.

This would be a doubleheader, not an MTE. Huge Difference.
BCPanther
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 736
Joined: August 8th, 2010, 9:10 am

Re: Home And Home w/Wichita State

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: Home And Home w/Wichita State

Postby uniftw » April 17th, 2017, 12:29 pm

BCPanther wrote:The CBE Classic is an MTE. When you have one of those that has two home games, the home games are always going to be horrible.

This would be a doubleheader, not an MTE. Huge Difference.

Yup. It's not a winner plays winner and loser plays loser.

It's simply a neutral site game branded as an event. No other teams involved. No need for more status. It's just a standalone game as part of a double header.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2106
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 9:01 pm

Re: Home And Home w/Wichita State

Postby municup14 » April 17th, 2017, 6:12 pm

Wichita will not schedule any ex valley teams because they want to create
There own identity just like Creighton has done
municup14
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player
 
Posts: 84
Joined: February 25th, 2016, 6:15 am

Re: Home And Home w/Wichita State

Postby uniftw » April 17th, 2017, 7:28 pm

municup14 wrote:Wichita will not schedule any ex valley teams because they want to create
There own identity just like Creighton has done

The beauty of it, from that perspective, that it's only happen once every 3 years. The other years it's a Big East, A10, B10/12 type team.
Last edited by uniftw on April 18th, 2017, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2106
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 9:01 pm

Re: Home And Home w/Wichita State

Postby Cdizzle » April 18th, 2017, 8:50 am

municup14 wrote:Wichita will not schedule any ex valley teams because they want to create
There own identity just like Creighton has done

WSU already has an identity. I don't think there is anything that would make most Valley teams any different than the rest of the pool of scheduling candidates, negative or positive.

Having said that, it's also not like Valpo, Belmont and Murray State have been regulars on the WSU schedule.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2080
Joined: November 11th, 2010, 11:28 am

Re: Home And Home w/Wichita State

Postby rlh04d » April 22nd, 2017, 3:08 pm

uniftw wrote:It's not like UNI needs WSU either.

UNI has routinely played OOCs similar, or better, than WSU. That will continue to be the case.

It would be interesting to see a set up in Kansas City, similar to the event UNI plays with Drake/Iowa/Iowa State or that Kentucky/UCLA/Kansas and some other school plays.

WSU
Creighton
UNI
Someone else

Sprint Center - 1 day 2 games. Expenses and profits split 25/25/25/25.
Year 1 WSU/Creighton - UNI/St Louis
Year 2 WSU/UNI - Creighton/St Louis
Year 3 WSU/St Louis - Creighton UNI

18K seats. Tickets running between $35-$75 a pop.
3 hours from WSU
3 hours from Creighton
3.5 hours from St Louis
4.5 hours from Cedar Falls
Inert other school. Hell, make it

It's a damn good RPI/SOS set up for all involved.

I'd like to see this.

My only problem with a series with UNI is that UNI hasn't strung together three consecutive top 100 RPI seasons under Jacobson. I love Jacobson, but that three year pattern he has going is pretty obvious -- load up on upper-classmen for a ride, eat the lean year, repeat. If that schedule was going to work, I think it'd need to be two home games to one road game, H/H with a gap year, or an event like the above.
User avatar
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2440
Joined: February 24th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Re: Home And Home w/Wichita State

Postby rlh04d » April 22nd, 2017, 3:13 pm

municup14 wrote:Wichita will not schedule any ex valley teams because they want to create
There own identity just like Creighton has done

Creighton's identity is no different if they play Valley teams or not, because their identity is and always will be "team that loses by double digits in first weekend of NCAA tourney to team that loses their next game."
User avatar
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2440
Joined: February 24th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Re: Home And Home w/Wichita State

Postby BCPanther » April 22nd, 2017, 7:01 pm

rlh04d wrote:
uniftw wrote:It's not like UNI needs WSU either.

UNI has routinely played OOCs similar, or better, than WSU. That will continue to be the case.

It would be interesting to see a set up in Kansas City, similar to the event UNI plays with Drake/Iowa/Iowa State or that Kentucky/UCLA/Kansas and some other school plays.

WSU
Creighton
UNI
Someone else

Sprint Center - 1 day 2 games. Expenses and profits split 25/25/25/25.
Year 1 WSU/Creighton - UNI/St Louis
Year 2 WSU/UNI - Creighton/St Louis
Year 3 WSU/St Louis - Creighton UNI

18K seats. Tickets running between $35-$75 a pop.
3 hours from WSU
3 hours from Creighton
3.5 hours from St Louis
4.5 hours from Cedar Falls
Inert other school. Hell, make it

It's a damn good RPI/SOS set up for all involved.

I'd like to see this.

My only problem with a series with UNI is that UNI hasn't strung together three consecutive top 100 RPI seasons under Jacobson. I love Jacobson, but that three year pattern he has going is pretty obvious -- load up on upper-classmen for a ride, eat the lean year, repeat. If that schedule was going to work, I think it'd need to be two home games to one road game, H/H with a gap year, or an event like the above.


Playing RPI 110 on a neutral floor does not hurt your computer numbers in any way.
BCPanther
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 736
Joined: August 8th, 2010, 9:10 am

Re: Home And Home w/Wichita State

Postby AndShock » April 22nd, 2017, 7:46 pm

BCPanther wrote:
rlh04d wrote:
uniftw wrote:It's not like UNI needs WSU either.

UNI has routinely played OOCs similar, or better, than WSU. That will continue to be the case.

It would be interesting to see a set up in Kansas City, similar to the event UNI plays with Drake/Iowa/Iowa State or that Kentucky/UCLA/Kansas and some other school plays.

WSU
Creighton
UNI
Someone else

Sprint Center - 1 day 2 games. Expenses and profits split 25/25/25/25.
Year 1 WSU/Creighton - UNI/St Louis
Year 2 WSU/UNI - Creighton/St Louis
Year 3 WSU/St Louis - Creighton UNI

18K seats. Tickets running between $35-$75 a pop.
3 hours from WSU
3 hours from Creighton
3.5 hours from St Louis
4.5 hours from Cedar Falls
Inert other school. Hell, make it

It's a damn good RPI/SOS set up for all involved.

I'd like to see this.

My only problem with a series with UNI is that UNI hasn't strung together three consecutive top 100 RPI seasons under Jacobson. I love Jacobson, but that three year pattern he has going is pretty obvious -- load up on upper-classmen for a ride, eat the lean year, repeat. If that schedule was going to work, I think it'd need to be two home games to one road game, H/H with a gap year, or an event like the above.


Playing RPI 110 on a neutral floor does not hurt your computer numbers in any way.


A loss does. And the committee has made it clear that going 20-0 against teams 100-125 means absolutely nothing if you don't have top 50 wins with it.
AndShock
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 830
Joined: August 9th, 2010, 7:28 pm

Re: Home And Home w/Wichita State

Postby rlh04d » April 22nd, 2017, 9:30 pm

BCPanther wrote:
Playing RPI 110 on a neutral floor does not hurt your computer numbers in any way.

What about RPI 163? You know, UNI's actual RPI this year?

If you swap UNI's two losses to Wichita with splitting a series against Murray State this year, suddenly they're at 177. Do similar with everyone else in the conference, where even changing 0-2 to 1-1 drops every team individually, and suddenly UNI is on the wrong side of 200.

And yes, playing RPI 200+ on a neutral floor does hurt. It would be putting UNI in the place we had Saint Louis this year, which is not the kind of game we want to replicate.

I don't trust UNI's consistent down years to not be RPI killers in the future.
User avatar
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2440
Joined: February 24th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Re: Home And Home w/Wichita State

Postby BCPanther » April 22nd, 2017, 10:55 pm

rlh04d wrote:
BCPanther wrote:
Playing RPI 110 on a neutral floor does not hurt your computer numbers in any way.

What about RPI 163? You know, UNI's actual RPI this year?

If you swap UNI's two losses to Wichita with splitting a series against Murray State this year, suddenly they're at 177. Do similar with everyone else in the conference, where even changing 0-2 to 1-1 drops every team individually, and suddenly UNI is on the wrong side of 200.

And yes, playing RPI 200+ on a neutral floor does hurt. It would be putting UNI in the place we had Saint Louis this year, which is not the kind of game we want to replicate.

I don't trust UNI's consistent down years to not be RPI killers in the future.


You're using UNIs worst year since 2003 to try to make your argument here. You're also completely delusional to think UNI ends up sub 200 anytime soon.

The AAC was the right move, but you guys are sure working really hard to convince yourselves that that is the case.
BCPanther
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 736
Joined: August 8th, 2010, 9:10 am

Re: Home And Home w/Wichita State

Postby rlh04d » April 23rd, 2017, 7:44 am

BCPanther wrote:You're using UNIs worst year since 2003 to try to make your argument here. You're also completely delusional to think UNI ends up sub 200 anytime soon.

The AAC was the right move, but you guys are sure working really hard to convince yourselves that that is the case.

Here's a fun fact: on average, the eight Valley teams (not including WSU/CU/LU) lost 32 points a year off their RPI over the last four years (2014-2017) as compared to the final four years with Creighton (2010-2013). Over the 2010-2013 time frame, Creighton's average RPI was 71.5. Over the 2014-2017 timeframe, Wichita State's average RPI was 25. UNI's RPI has fallen 18.25 points on average over that time period.

Even if you assumed that Murray State is the replacement, and their four-year average RPI increases when they join the Valley by a comparable level to what Loyola's did (which would ignore Wichita's contribution to that improvement), you'd still be looking at the same difference to conference RPI as when Loyola replaced Creighton.

UNI's worst down-years are ahead of them, not behind them. UNI averaging another 18 RPI drop over the next four seasons isn't a worst case scenario -- it's expected. Which means we're talking about ~150 in the majority of down-years, and sub-200 in the worst of them.

Simple question: If Murray State was in the MVC in the 2016-17 season instead of Wichita State, is UNI, in 2016-17, a sub-200 RPI team? Every bit of quantifiable evidence says yes. But your counter-argument of "nuh uh" is pretty compelling, I'll grant you.
User avatar
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2440
Joined: February 24th, 2012, 9:15 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: All-MVC Fan, Google [Bot] and 16 guests