Home And Home w/Wichita State

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Home And Home w/Wichita State

Postby thunderkwb » April 13th, 2017, 4:43 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:So much to talk about.

1. Regarding Molina. The pitcher and WSU should never in a million years have caused a pitch to be thrown at Molina. I have do not have any idea of the off record details. It is dark stain on the baseball program.

2. In the future, my preference for home and home game opponents is as follows:
a. UNI - I just like everything about Coach Jacobson's program.
b. Missouri State - If the rpi status improved, it would be fine. There was a time, when the
Bars kicked our butt in almost every game. In the 90s, the Bars record against the Shockers was 14-6.
In the late 90s, Steve Alford was the coach. It seemed like we could never win against him.
And trips to Sprangfield are an easy drive for future road games.

3. ISUr - Players play as their coach permits. This year, the players, well never mind. Don't want to
start a food fight.

As a WSU Fan/Alumni I think the above is fair, would like to play UNI and MSU on a somewhat regular basis. On the topic of Molina (don't know why someone brought this up) but I've talked to Ben about this.. I think all parties wished this never happened. It isn't something anyone at WSU is proud of or supported not sure why this is even brought up unless some insecure fan is using it to throw shade at WSU.. which is lame.
thunderkwb
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby unipanther99 » April 14th, 2017, 8:28 am

I think it would be great to see an early season tournament in Kansas City with WSU, Creighton, UNI, and a fourth (maybe a MWC school?).
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby UEACES80 » April 14th, 2017, 8:43 am

Meanwhile in IN I am sure that Ball State, Indy State, IUPUI, IUPUFW, Valpo and UE would love a rotating pre season tourney with Butler, IU, ND and Purdue
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby underdawg » April 16th, 2017, 6:57 pm

mvcfan wrote:
Rollbird5 wrote:Yea my intent of the thread was to see who wsu fans may want to do a home and home with. Despite all the drama and 'hatred' towards one another, I always enjoyed playing them. It's a good measuring stick to see where we are as a program or as a team year in and year out. Hope we meet again on the court!

I really would like to play a H/H with all of the MVC teams including ISUR but we all know that wouldn't make sense. I doubt that there are hard feelings that would prevent this from happening. I would think a team would need to be in the 75-100 RPI range for a H/H to make sense. I also think that closer proximity would make sense for fans so MSU would be nice from that standpoint. Right now, we don't know how this is going to shake out from either league and how the new RPI rules will affect us. Therefore, I would doubt that we would play next year, but our past relationships should enable us to renew our relationships in the near future. I may not know what I'm talking about either but Good Luck to all.

Congrats on being accepted into the AAc--but i'm a little puzzled by your argument about playing valley teams--the shocks played many sub 150 non conference teams (one reason their SOS was what about 140?).
If it was the effect of lower RPI teams that you worry about--I'm sure a few Valley teams could get you a better RPI deal than South Carolina State (302), MD Eastern Shore (78) or even St. Louis (238)---

But most higher level conference teams like to load up on cream puffs and not take the chance a 100-120 team might beat them especially in a H and H--those teams figure they'll make up for the cream puffs by playing great RPI teams in conference
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Snaggletooth » April 16th, 2017, 9:07 pm

underdawg wrote:

Congrats on being accepted into the AAc--but i'm a little puzzled by your argument about playing valley teams--the shocks played many sub 150 non conference teams (one reason their SOS was what about 140?).
If it was the effect of lower RPI teams that you worry about--I'm sure a few Valley teams could get you a better RPI deal than South Carolina State (302), MD Eastern Shore (78) or even St. Louis (238)---

But the MVC would require a Home and Home right? If MVC didn't require Home and Home then it might be a different story.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » April 17th, 2017, 8:05 am

underdawg wrote:
mvcfan wrote:
Rollbird5 wrote:Yea my intent of the thread was to see who wsu fans may want to do a home and home with. Despite all the drama and 'hatred' towards one another, I always enjoyed playing them. It's a good measuring stick to see where we are as a program or as a team year in and year out. Hope we meet again on the court!

I really would like to play a H/H with all of the MVC teams including ISUR but we all know that wouldn't make sense. I doubt that there are hard feelings that would prevent this from happening. I would think a team would need to be in the 75-100 RPI range for a H/H to make sense. I also think that closer proximity would make sense for fans so MSU would be nice from that standpoint. Right now, we don't know how this is going to shake out from either league and how the new RPI rules will affect us. Therefore, I would doubt that we would play next year, but our past relationships should enable us to renew our relationships in the near future. I may not know what I'm talking about either but Good Luck to all.

But most higher level conference teams like to load up on cream puffs and not take the chance a 100-120 team might beat them especially in a H and H--those teams figure they'll make up for the cream puffs by playing great RPI teams in conference

SCS, MDES were buy games. St. Louis was a 4 year contract signed with they were a Top 25 RPI team.

If the lower half wants to be bought to come to Koch arena, it makes sense. It doesn't make sense to do a H/H with them though. Only teams that can realistically be potential H/H games are ISU and UNI and neither of them are consistent enough to actually be a guaranteed Top 100 team.

It also appears that WSU is getting better at getting the big boys to play anyways. Already have H/H with OSU and OU. Rumored to have a H/H with Baylor, and South Carolina in the works and a neutral site game with Arkansas.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » April 17th, 2017, 9:16 am

It's not like UNI needs WSU either.

UNI has routinely played OOCs similar, or better, than WSU. That will continue to be the case.

It would be interesting to see a set up in Kansas City, similar to the event UNI plays with Drake/Iowa/Iowa State or that Kentucky/UCLA/Kansas and some other school plays.

WSU
Creighton
UNI
Someone else

Sprint Center - 1 day 2 games. Expenses and profits split 25/25/25/25.
Year 1 WSU/Creighton - UNI/St Louis
Year 2 WSU/UNI - Creighton/St Louis
Year 3 WSU/St Louis - Creighton UNI

18K seats. Tickets running between $35-$75 a pop.
3 hours from WSU
3 hours from Creighton
3.5 hours from St Louis
4.5 hours from Cedar Falls
Inert other school. Hell, make it

It's a damn good RPI/SOS set up for all involved.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » April 17th, 2017, 9:43 am

uniftw wrote:It's not like UNI needs WSU either.

I should have mentioned that. UNI is about the only team in the MVC that doesn't need help scheduling.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » April 17th, 2017, 11:35 am

UNI has routinely played OOCs similar, or better, than WSU. That will continue to be the case.

It would be interesting to see a set up in Kansas City, similar to the event UNI plays with Drake/Iowa/Iowa State or that Kentucky/UCLA/Kansas and some other school plays.

WSU
Creighton
UNI
Someone else

3 hours from WSU
3 hours from Creighton
3.5 hours from St Louis

That idea could have a lot of potential. Other regional teams that may want be a part of an exempt tournament could be K State, Mizzou, Iowa, and Iowa State. Some of those teams aren't a Top 100 right now but will most likely be in the future. I know that the format may be an important item for UI, UNI, and ISU to want to receive an invitation (on years you play ISU, maybe UI would be a part and vise versa).
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » April 17th, 2017, 11:39 am

mvcfan wrote:

WSU
Creighton
UNI
Someone else

3 hours from WSU
3 hours from Creighton
3.5 hours from St Louis

That idea could have a lot of potential. Other regional teams that may want be a part of an exempt tournament could be K State, Mizzou, Iowa, and Iowa State. Some of those teams aren't a Top 100 right now but will most likely be in the future. I know that the format may be an important item for UI, UNI, and ISU to want to receive an invitation (on years you play ISU, maybe UI would be a part and vise versa).
They key is not making it an MTE. It's not a tournament. It's a neutral site game, the site just happens to have another game there that day.

See the Champions Classic that Duke, UK, KU and Michigan State have played every year since 2011 (and have signed through 2019). See the Big Four Classic in Iowa where UNI and Drake rotate ISU and Iowa each year since the H/H we used to have with them are dead.

The Big 4 Classic draws 17K. No reason that that set up couldn't draw 17K. Make UNI, WSU, and CU "permanent" members of it. Depending who the 4th is it can be rotated between Kansas City, St Louis, Des Moines.

Mizzou, Iowa, Iowa State, SLU, Illinois, Nebraska, and a few others would be great dance partners in that. Play it on a Saturday night to allow for travel.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball