MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team league

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team lea

Postby Rogers101 » April 7th, 2017, 5:08 pm

Redhawk wrote:
squirrel wrote:Valpo figures to make a big dropoff this year and Murray St is in a fairly precarious spot as a program themselves right now,

I know you can't look at it in a 1-year isolation window, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that these are 2 RPI 250 or worse programs next year, and that's adding 4 games of that ilk to the RPI.

That doesn't seem to be what we're trying to accomplish here.

Yep...we might be taking Valpo after their peak run is over and when Murray St starts a down slide.
Then asking them to play 20 conference games against tougher competition!

I would prefer that we add teams that have better long term potential than be swayed by a few years
of recent success in sub par leagues.

I pulled up some of the possible teams on KenPom today and looked at their last 11 years. Belmont and Oakland were the only ones that had better 11 year marks than these 2 schools. So not sure if few years of recent success is valid.
Last edited by Rogers101 on April 7th, 2017, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogers101
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Svoboda » April 7th, 2017, 5:17 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Svoboda wrote:Budgets per 2015 OpEd data:

$3,128,419 - Bradley (no football) - 121st nationally
$2,899,699 - Northern Iowa - 132nd nationally
$2,899,667 - Evansville (no football) - 133rd nationally
$2,745,553 - Loyola (no football) - 139th nationally
$2,666,213 - Valparaiso (non-scholarship football) - 143rd nationally
$2,472,212 - Drake (non-scholarship football) - 153rd nationally
$2,452,961 - Illinois State - 156th nationally
$2,279,917 - Missouri State - 171st nationally
$2,241,413 - Southern Illinois - 175th nationally
$2,218,712 - Murray State - 177th nationally
$1,832,975 - Indiana State - 208th nationally

And what was Wichita's?

$6,920,933 - Wichita State (no football) - 56th nationally.

Here is a link to all of the budgets per the last OpEd data in 2015:

http://www.sycamorepride.com/showthread ... -in-at-208
Last edited by Svoboda on April 7th, 2017, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sycamore Pride - http://www.sycamorepride.com
MVC News & Social Media Aggregator - https://www.mvctalk.com
Svoboda
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Redhawk » April 7th, 2017, 5:18 pm

havoc wrote:
Sure, and what teams are those?

Since you asked....

1) Saint Louis. Convince them their best path to the Big East is through the MVC like Creighton.
Gives them the potential to be the next Wichita St or Gonzaga which isn't happening in the A10

2) In or near Valley footprint these schools all have larger enrollment, arena, and new market factors better than Valpo:
Wright State
Milwaukee
Omaha

3) Outside of the footprint these 3 would also fit the criteria:
New Mexico St
Grand Canyon
Denver
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ahunte1 » April 7th, 2017, 7:46 pm

That's the best argument I've heard for SLU. Still don't see it happening and would prefer the MVC not be a waypoint, but that's interesting.
ahunte1
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Rogers101 » April 7th, 2017, 7:49 pm

Redhawk wrote:
havoc wrote:

Since you asked....

1) Saint Louis. Convince them their best path to the Big East is through the MVC like Creighton.
Gives them the potential to be the next Wichita St or Gonzaga which isn't happening in the A10

2) In or near Valley footprint these schools all have larger enrollment, arena, and new market factors better than Valpo:
Wright State
Milwaukee
Omaha

New Mexico St
Grand Canyon
Denver

I think SLU is offered everytime this opens up, so its not like we have to argue about it. Yes we all would like SLU because its a perfect fit for everyone.

Of the 3 listed with bigger attendance I think UNO and Wright State are the only 2 I like. I thought I liked Milwaukee, but they've been pretty quiet for a while. Not better in last 10 years than Murray and Valpo.

I like New Mexico St. I don't know much about the other 2, but knowing the budget issues with some of the schools I think it's a stretch to think we get any of these guys.
Rogers101
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby VU2014 » April 7th, 2017, 11:10 pm

Best choices are Valpo, Belmont and Murray State.

MVC needs the best BBall schools possible/geographical footprint.

If the MVC picks a school because of "Market" or "school size" then the MVC will be shooting itself in the foot (again) and schools should seriously consider finding an exit plan. Cut & Dry.

And don't be delusional and think SLU or Dayton are coming to the MVC anytime soon... just sound clueless if you suggest those schools. Maybe down the line but they are not coming so move on folks and live in the reality.
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Dean Wormer » April 7th, 2017, 11:45 pm

Redhawk wrote:
havoc wrote:

Since you asked....

Wright State
Milwaukee
Omaha

New Mexico St
Grand Canyon
Denver

Are you seriously suggesting that the MVC should "sell" itself to a program like SLU as a conference to roll for a couple of years so you can get the eye of the Big East? Really???

1. Your assumption that SLU would come in here and roll the MVC is silly. They would have been a Thursday night team this year. Next year, possibly some improvement, but probably still a bottom half team. Do you really have such a low vision for the MVC that you think we should invite another mid-major in strictly for the purpose of pounding us to get an invite to the Big East?

2. Let's just assume there is an ounce of reality to this. Do you really think the MVC is better off with a program joining fully with the intent of jumping into the Big East at the first chance, rather than taking a solid one who could contribute and remain for many years? I will take Valpo, Belmont, Murray, etc anyday over this type of arrangement.

I don't think the Valley has reached a desperate spot where we have to pay a "5" for a one night stand.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Bball Junkie » April 8th, 2017, 4:56 am

I agree - forget SLU. Their program is worse than Belmont. Plus, the St. Louis market is already in play for the Valley, both in terms of TV and recruiting. Give me Belmont, Murray State, and Valpo and sign the contract immediately. These fit the Valley footprint, even out the public/private alignment, create natural rivals/travel rotations, brings in the Nashville and Paducah TV markets, and weakens other nearby mid major conferences. This will solidify the Valley as a strong mid major conference and show the basketball world that this conference is serious about its longevity and competitive nature.

Rivals and easy travel rotations for scheduling:
Evansville/Indiana St
Belmont/Murray St
Loyola/Valpo
Bradley/Illinois State
Drake/Northern Iowa
SIU/Missouri St

As an Evansville fan, this would really help with attendance based on familiarity and long term rivalries. The Aces go way back with Indiana St, SIU, Murray St, and Valpo.
Bball Junkie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Redhawk » April 8th, 2017, 5:52 am

Bball Junkie wrote:
As an Evansville fan, this would really help with attendance based on familiarity and long term rivalries. The Aces go way back with Indiana St, SIU, Murray St, and Valpo.

It seems like this whole plan is to help the weaker programs in the Valley so Evansville should be happy.
I laughed at "Paducah TV market."
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redhawk » April 8th, 2017, 6:01 am

Dean Wormer wrote:
Redhawk wrote:
havoc wrote:

Since you asked....

Wright State
Milwaukee
Omaha

New Mexico St
Grand Canyon
Denver

Are you seriously suggesting that the MVC should "sell" itself to a program like SLU as a conference to roll for a couple of years so you can get the eye of the Big East? Really???

1. Your assumption that SLU would come in here and roll the MVC is silly. They would have been a Thursday night team this year. Next year, possibly some improvement, but probably still a bottom half team. Do you really have such a low vision for the MVC that you think we should invite another mid-major in strictly for the purpose of pounding us to get an invite to the Big East?

2. Let's just assume there is an ounce of reality to this. Do you really think the MVC is better off with a program joining fully with the intent of jumping into the Big East at the first chance, rather than taking a solid one who could contribute and remain for many years? I will take Valpo, Belmont, Murray, etc anyday over this type of arrangement.

I don't think the Valley has reached a desperate spot where we have to pay a "5" for a one night stand.

Dean... if you are trying to sell SLU on dropping down to the Valley you have to have a selling point.
Personally I don't think that the Big East will add anymore schools but they are living that dream.
SLU is a better long term option for the Valley than Valpo or Belmont and if in 5 years they become the " next big thing" and leave I would be fine with that.

Why pay a 5 if you can be convincing enough to get an 8 to go steady with you!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball