MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team league

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team lea

Postby Redhawk » April 7th, 2017, 1:44 pm

uniftw wrote:Evansville dominated a smaller conference prior to moving MVC.

That's what scares me about Valpo. Evansville had even better fan base, facilities and success
coming into the Valley than Valpo does now. The Purple Aces have played 1 game in the NCAA tourney
in 24 years in the Valley!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby squirrel » April 7th, 2017, 1:45 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:Since 2000: Murray State Five NCAA bids and two NIT. Valparaiso five NCAA bids and four NIT.

Other than Belmont who else with that somewhat recent tradition and success is out there?

In terms of "recent" success, meaning the last two years, only Valpo, but they showed how awful they were without Peters at the end of this season. They are likely set to become an anvil pretty quickly.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » April 7th, 2017, 1:45 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:Somebody please explain why Valpo is a good get for this conference?

Football stinks
Small school
Basketball lost the best player they've ever had and their coach to Vandy

Can anyone look at them and say, they potentially could be the next Wichita due to their commitment in athletics?

MVU covered what I would have said.

Valpo is Drake, but successful. Depending your outlook that's good and bad. Football doesn't matter - just like Drake. Valpo is the least funded non-HBCU football program in the county. That has no impact. If you're worried about football where is your worry over Murray State - they are a fully funded 63 scholarship football program. The sustainability of Valpo is a concern. They very easily can become the next Evansville.

I'm not anti-Murray State, but I wouldn't push them as a first pick. I'm okay with them. Their basketball, and entire budget, is on the smaller side (especially entire budget) but they've shown sustained success, ability to attract up and coming coaches, and talent. Hopefully being MVC can help them keep coaches around longer.

I would assume if a place like Valpo or Murray State is invited there will be a stipulation about facility improvements, maybe funding improvements, etc...

There is no "next Wichita". It's why adding to get to 11 or 12 with strong teams being the addition, is the best option if we are going to add teams.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 7th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Svoboda wrote:Does this mean Murray State is also moving their football to the MVFC because I don't think the Ohio Valley would let them keep that there?

I would guess they stay in the OVC. It allows the OVC 8 conference games, which is perfect for a true champion and an 11 game schedule.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » April 7th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Redhawk wrote:
uniftw wrote:Evansville dominated a smaller conference prior to moving MVC.

That's what scares me about Valpo. Evansville had even better fan base, facilities and success
coming into the Valley than Valpo does now. The Purple Aces have played 1 game in the NCAA tourney
in 24 years in the Valley!

No. They dominated a league that included Notre Dame, Xavier, Dayton, St. Louis, Marquette, LaSalle and Loyola (4 NCAAs in the 1980's), among others.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby havoc » April 7th, 2017, 1:47 pm

uniftw wrote:
chitown fanatic wrote:or does going to 11 really mean that Evansville is headed to Horizon????(so back to 10)

There have been strong rumors the Horizon was looking at "expanding".

Hypothetically, if Valpo does move to the MVC, UE would be a home run for the Horizon.

They are Valpo, but with better facilities....and much less success. That could change in the Horizon though. Evansville dominated a smaller conference prior to moving MVC.

I would think Valpo being in the Horizon league would have one of the reason UE would be attracted to the league, and vice versa. Very similar schools drawing from very similar student bases.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 7th, 2017, 1:52 pm

uniftw wrote:
There is no "next Wichita". It's why adding to get to 11 or 12 with strong teams being the addition, is the best option if we are going to add teams.

Correct, not from the get-go. I would much prefer pick up a school with the potential to be the next Wichita. That is, a commitment to athletics and a willingness to put money towards athletics.

I really don't think that's Valpo
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby havoc » April 7th, 2017, 1:52 pm

mvfcfan wrote:
goramblers2011 wrote:What would Arch Madness look like with 11 teams? Only top 10 make it? 10 vs 11 Wednesday PIG just to make it to the Thursday PIGs?

Thursday
8 vs 9
7 vs 10
6 vs 11

Friday
1 vs 8/9
4 vs 5
2 vs 7/10
3 vs 6/11

Saturday
Semifinals

Sunday
Championship Game

For whatever reason you don't see it much outside of the NFL, (there probably is one I can't think of) but I'd like to see an adjustment of the bracket following the first round of games. #1 seed plays in the lowest remaining seed, #2 plays the next, and so on, then continue the regular bracket style tournament from there on out.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Svoboda » April 7th, 2017, 1:54 pm

Budgets per 2015 OpEd data:

$3,128,419 - Bradley (no football) - 121st nationally
$2,899,699 - Northern Iowa - 132nd nationally
$2,899,667 - Evansville (no football) - 133rd nationally
$2,745,553 - Loyola (no football) - 139th nationally
$2,666,213 - Valparaiso (non-scholarship football) - 143rd nationally
$2,472,212 - Drake (non-scholarship football) - 153rd nationally
$2,452,961 - Illinois State - 156th nationally
$2,279,917 - Missouri State - 171st nationally
$2,241,413 - Southern Illinois - 175th nationally
$2,218,712 - Murray State - 177th nationally
$1,832,975 - Indiana State - 208th nationally
Sycamore Pride - http://www.sycamorepride.com
MVC News & Social Media Aggregator - https://www.mvctalk.com
Svoboda
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby AndShock » April 7th, 2017, 1:57 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
uniftw wrote:

Correct, not from the get-go. I would much prefer pick up a school with the potential to be the next Wichita. That is, a commitment to athletics and a willingness to put money towards athletics.

I really don't think that's Valpo

The only next Wichita in college basketball is Grand Canyon and the Valley isn't going to want to spend the money to travel there. Set your sights lower.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball