MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team league

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team lea

Postby smidge34 » April 24th, 2017, 11:42 am

Red wrote:
Redhawk wrote:
mvfcfan wrote:
I think the ultimate addition that everyone can agree upon would be getting St Louis. If St Louis came out and contacted the MVC and said they were interested in joining they would be the no-brainer 12th option. I think we should wait and see what happens. Almost all of these teams (UNK, UNO, UWM, UIC, SEMO) are kind of sketchy 12th picks. And in all honesty all of these teams will still be options down the road. It's not like they are actually going anywhere as to where we couldn't invite them in a couple of years. A secret tryout or St Louis University is what we should be looking at.

Yep...I think the 12th spot will be held open for SLU. Best option within the footprint, another MO school for MSU, balances out Private/Public.

You ever met anyone from SLU? They think they are the Harvard of the Midwest. There's a better chance of me growing wings and flying than of SLU joining the Valley. Elgin can save the cost of the stamp.

Where exactly is their target geographical area for recruitment? I can't understand it either outside of bigger conference NCAA tourney checks yearly.

Atlantic 10 footprint vs current MVC:
Attachments
IMG_1116.PNG
IMG_1116.PNG (61.61 KiB) Viewed 1888 times
IMG_1115.PNG
IMG_1115.PNG (128.11 KiB) Viewed 1888 times
smidge34
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby E-Villan » April 24th, 2017, 11:47 am

Red wrote:
Redhawk wrote:
mvfcfan wrote:
I think the ultimate addition that everyone can agree upon would be getting St Louis. If St Louis came out and contacted the MVC and said they were interested in joining they would be the no-brainer 12th option. I think we should wait and see what happens. Almost all of these teams (UNK, UNO, UWM, UIC, SEMO) are kind of sketchy 12th picks. And in all honesty all of these teams will still be options down the road. It's not like they are actually going anywhere as to where we couldn't invite them in a couple of years. A secret tryout or St Louis University is what we should be looking at.

Yep...I think the 12th spot will be held open for SLU. Best option within the footprint, another MO school for MSU, balances out Private/Public.

You ever met anyone from SLU? They think they are the Harvard of the Midwest. There's a better chance of me growing wings and flying than of SLU joining the Valley. Elgin can save the cost of the stamp.

I agree, and don't get the fascination with them either. They have been a conference whore for the last 40 years, with very little results other than with Majerus. Don't recall them ever being much of a factor in the Metro, MCC, Great Midwest or Conf-USA. Nice market and support, but is it worth selling our souls to get a school kicking and screaming, with a bark much worse than it's bite?
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Redhawk » April 24th, 2017, 11:51 am

Red wrote:
Redhawk wrote:

As of right now that's all true but SLU is bleeding cash and the A10 is a travel nightmare.
What happens if Dayton and VCU move up somewhere?

If Valpo and Murray St join and our struggling teams improve the Valley would look a lot more attractive to the Billikens. Not sure the Valley should fill the 12 spot unless there is a really strong candidate. So I'm fine with 11 until a viable candidate steps up or SLU wants to talk!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » April 24th, 2017, 11:55 am

Red wrote:
Redhawk wrote:
mvfcfan wrote:

They may get a reality check in a few years.

The Big East will UCONN and VCU at some point. The B12 will expand with Cinci and one Texas school. The AAC will take a mix of CUSA/A10 schools to fill their conference back up. SLU isn't going to be one of those schools, but it's entirely likely Dayton would be. SLU isn't hanging around that conference once Dayton
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 24th, 2017, 12:06 pm

I disagree. I think the Big East will add SLU and Dayton since theyre both Catholic and that's their thing. I don't think they'll stray from that with VCU and UCONN.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VU2014 » April 24th, 2017, 12:15 pm

Not sure why the MVC would even be seriously considering NKU as potential member right now (maybe after proving itself more).

NKU is a really young program. Only been D1 for 2 years and eligible to make the Tourney this year. NKU got into the Tournament without having to play Valpo, Oakland or Green Bay in the Horizon League Tournament... To be honest they got pretty lucky that Valpo's Alec Peters (NBA Player got injured at the end of the season) and they were missing their other starting Forward and their 2nd best player Shane Hammink had a very serious stomach virus that pretty rendered him useless. Also Oakland completely s*** the bed and got upset (again in their hometown) and Green Bay Lost as well. They had the perfect storm to the Tournament.

Not to even mention that NKU has never even went through a D1 coaching change before. Their head coach Brannen is a really good coach but he was rumored to be candidates for other jobs right after the season was over. He's lowest paid coach in the HL and it sounds like he may jump to a different job in the next few years if given the opportunity.

You learn A LOT about a program and its athletics department in how they handle and respond to a coaching change. Often times a program success follows the coach instead of staying in the program (especially if the team doesn't promote a coach from with the former coaches assistants). Example look at how Milwaukee after Pearl left the program. Jeter didn't have the greatest run at MKE, but you can argue some of that had to do with the Athletic Director that is still there right now. Sounds like chaos and dysfunction.

Not to mention Valpo hired away NKU's top assistant Dave Ragland last year who was the one who was the primary recruiter on most of NKU's top young players. They also just lost another assistant this offseason. They also just lost another Assistant Ronald Nored who left to become the head coach of an NBA D-League Team Long Island Nets.

Not trying to be a downer on NKU but I think some people need to pump the breaks and take a step back when suggesting NKU. They still have A LOT to prove. But they look like they could be a good up and coming young program with a nice arena.
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » April 24th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Guarantee Valpo and Murray won't miss the ridiculous set up of their league tournaments with the extra byes and on campus games...

You'll also have to finish in the Top 4 or 5 depending to avoid Thursday. Now we're just not being fair to Drake making it even harder to avoid Drake Night...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 24th, 2017, 12:22 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:I disagree. I think the Big East will add SLU and Dayton since theyre both Catholic and that's their thing. I don't think they'll stray from that with VCU and UCONN.

You have your choice between UCONN and VCU or SLU and Dayton.

All 4 will do whatever it takes to get a Big East invite.

UCONN already has a relationship with the Big East schools.

It's no contest.

SLU has as good of a chance at a Big East invite as UNI does MWC.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » April 24th, 2017, 12:25 pm

E-Villan wrote:
I agree, and don't get the fascination with them either. They have been a conference whore for the last 40 years, with very little results other than with Majerus. Don't recall them ever being much of a factor in the Metro, MCC, Great Midwest or Conf-USA. Nice market and support, but is it worth selling our souls to get a school kicking and screaming, with a bark much worse than it's bite?

Here's the thing E-Villian...you have to think like a University President and less like a basketball fanatic.
The Valley Presidents want a peer institution within their footprint. A history of basketball success is not the #1 criteria. If you don't believe me just reference the Loyola addition.

Now if they take Valpo & MuSU then the 12th member HAS to be a Private to achieve the Private/Public split that they value. Within our footprint SLU is the ONLY option that meets the standards championed by these administrators. That is what makes them the number one option and while I believe they will hold a spot open for the foreseeable future until things sort out with the Big East, AAC & Big 12.

In a year or two when things get settled and SLU (or Belmont) still thumb their noses at us then add the next best option when it makes sense. As for now why add a university you aren't sold on just to be at 12?
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 24th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Belmont is private and could fill that need. Bit, yes, either Belmont or slu would have to come to get the split. But, if one comes I bet both come and they run 7-5 private with Murray state. Hell, if they want Valpo over Murray state I could see a 8-4 split. I don't think they are stuck on 6-6. But, more likely for an uneven split in favor of private vs the other way around.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball