St. Mary's
VCU
Richmond
UMass
George Mason
SLU
St. Joseph's
LaSalle

That Big East wish list is laughable. This is not based on reality. The Big East is not even going to consider Gonzaga or St. Mary's. I doubt they consider any school except the SLU and Dayton because they are both Catholic schools just the like the rest of the Big East. However, UCONN and another non Catholic school is not out of the realm of possibility but it most definitely won't be anyone more western than their current most western member, Creighton, in Omaha. Travel would be such a hassle for Gonzaga I bet they wouldn't even accept the invitation. Even if they split into two divisions the western division would be Gonzaga, Creighton, Marquette, DePaul, Butler, and Xavier Creighton has already said their current travel situation isn't ideal being the most western member of the Big East. What do you think Gonzaga will think? They would have to fly 50-100% all the way across the country 8 times per season just for conference games.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team lea

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheAsianSensation » April 24th, 2017, 1:20 pm

Just to be contrarian, I think the AAC and Big East phone trees are different.

AAC priority phone tree:
Army/Air Force***
VCU/Dayton (only if Army/Air Force come for football only)
UMass
Charlotte
UTSA
Southern Miss
UAB
whatever CUSA/Fun Belt football program emerges as a power
unlisted: every non-football program remaining

Big East priority phone tree:
UConn
Dayton
Richmond
St Louis
VCU
St Joseph's
Gonzaga/St Mary's
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 24th, 2017, 1:31 pm

The Big East's wish list is:

Dayton
St. Louis
UCONN (this far down because they are FBS)
VCU

The end.

They aren't going to add Richmond, St. Joseph's, or any other subpar programs just to add a team. They would stand and wait until they get what they want. They don't NEED to expand. Really, what does George Mason or Richmond do for the Big East? Unless another program steps forward over time like VCU has the list ends at four.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » April 24th, 2017, 1:56 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
That Big East wish list is laughable. This is not based on reality. The Big East is not even going to consider Gonzaga or St. Mary's.

You don't have to like the list, but Gonzaga and the Big East have talked. Officials on both sides have even subtly dropped those hints. They don't come alone. It might involve a pan-national absorbing of the WCC.

As for UMass, they are only in the picture as a "like" pair with UConn...I'm not honestly convinced the Big East/UConn thing is happening, but where there is smoke, there is usually fire.

Richmond is loaded, with an endowment in excess of $2.1B (yep, that's a B). They're a solid Mid-Atlantic placement that just reinforces their strength. Additionally, they are positioned to upgrade to FBS if that becomes a DI requirement.

SLU is nowhere near the top 5-6 options for the Big East. They may not realize it, and some here may not realize it, but it's the reality of the situation.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 24th, 2017, 2:08 pm

Did not realize Richmond's endowment was 2.1B. Okay, they're on the list. The list is now 5 :) I don't think Gonzaga or St. Mary's is truly reasonable at all. I'm sure they talked but I've had a lot of useless conversations in my life, too. And, they whole absorbing talk is ridiculous and would never happen.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » April 24th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Did not realize Richmond's endowment was 2.1B. Okay, they're on the list. The list is now 5 :) I don't think Gonzaga or St. Mary's is truly reasonable at all. I'm sure they talked but I've had a lot of useless conversations in my life, too. And, they whole absorbing talk is ridiculous and would never happen.

What is the Loyola endowment? Maybe they should be in the Big East, too.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » April 24th, 2017, 2:13 pm

squirrel wrote:SLU is nowhere near the top 5-6 options for the Big East. They may not realize it, and some here may not realize it, but it's the reality of the situation.

Yep..so that is why it makes sense to hold the 12th spot open for a bit as the conference landscape
changes. If the A10 takes a hit them maybe SLU will lose some hubris and realize that the Valley is
the best conference for them going forward.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby E-Villan » April 24th, 2017, 3:03 pm

Redhawk wrote:
squirrel wrote:SLU is nowhere near the top 5-6 options for the Big East. They may not realize it, and some here may not realize it, but it's the reality of the situation.

Yep..so that is why it makes sense to hold the 12th spot open for a bit as the conference landscape
changes. If the A10 takes a hit them maybe SLU will lose some hubris and realize that the Valley is

I agree on holding the 12th for now. A more likely scenario will be to let Belmont have a taste of the OVC without Murray. One season where they run the table on the league, then lose in the final game of the conference tournament, and get snubbed by both the NCAA and NIT, and they may come running. For them, it's a hell of a lot easier to say we are happy where we are at with Murray still in the league.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mvfcfan » April 24th, 2017, 3:13 pm

E-Villan wrote:
Redhawk wrote:

I agree on holding the 12th for now. A more likely scenario will be to let Belmont have a taste of the OVC without Murray. One season where they run the table on the league, then lose in the final game of the conference tournament, and get snubbed by both the NCAA and NIT, and they may come running. For them, it's a hell of a lot easier to say we are happy where we are at with Murray still in the league.

They would still get into the NIT under that scenario.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redhawk » April 24th, 2017, 3:17 pm

E-Villan wrote:
Redhawk wrote:

True. Belmont is the most likely option to fill the 12th spot but it would be held open for them or SLU
to make the 6/6 split. Whichever feels compelled to make the jump first!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball