MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team league

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team lea

Postby Svoboda » May 6th, 2017, 7:58 am

If anyone is interested in seeing the four "finalists" basketball budgets compared to the MVC and rest of Division 1 hoops, you can find it on my site. MVC is highlighted in black, finalists in red. The dataset is from the 2015 OpEd reports, which is the most recent year available.

http://www.sycamorepride.com/showthread.php?38031
Sycamore Pride - http://www.sycamorepride.com
MVC News & Social Media Aggregator - https://www.mvctalk.com
Svoboda
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby smidge34 » May 6th, 2017, 8:08 am

Svoboda wrote:If anyone is interested in seeing the four "finalists" basketball budgets compared to the MVC and rest of Division 1 hoops, you can find it on my site. MVC is highlighted in black, finalists in red. The dataset is from the 2015 OpEd reports, which is the most recent year available.

http://www.sycamorepride.com/showthread.php?38031

FYI, our President already stated we are gonna pump that number up at Murray State going forward. It was part of his presentation at our BOR meeting.
smidge34
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » May 6th, 2017, 8:57 am

BEARZ77 wrote:
BCPanther wrote:The Valley played with 11 for two years when Evansville came in and Tulsa was on its way out. Made scheduling awful for WBB and Volleyball. SMS didn't have a travel partner and they ended up playing a bunch of Monday night and mid-week women's games. Wasn't fair to them at all but it did give them a chance to showcase Jackie Stiles.

Not to be too much a stickler, but two things: Tulsa didn't play WBB from 1987 to 1996 so their WBB program wasn't playing during the time when Tulsa was preparing to leave and Evansville had joined [ 1994-95, 1995-1996] so WBB never had that 11 team format. Also that was two years before Stiles played. Don't fret, my memory on such things gets mixed up to.

Good stuff. I just remember UNI playing a lot of Monday night games at that point, must have been by choice. Guess my women's basketball knowledge needs some brushing up :D

I'm amazed that Tulsa didn't play women's basketball in the Title IX era.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » May 6th, 2017, 9:24 am

Yeah I'm not sure how they managed that.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 7th, 2017, 8:12 am

24 hours to go! Hopefully, we'll hear there will be a Tuesday announcement as said would be the case if the President's come to a decision on Monday. I was thinking about this last night that this doesn't make sense unless the decision has already been made the each universities BOR has already met and decided to accept the invitation. Because if that is not the case and the President's do decide for the first time tomorrow who to invite and call to issue invites that leaves each schools BOR to put together a meeting in like one hour.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » May 7th, 2017, 8:38 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:24 hours to go! Hopefully, we'll hear there will be a Tuesday announcement as said would be the case if the President's come to a decision on Monday. I was thinking about this last night that this doesn't make sense unless the decision has already been made the each universities BOR has already met and decided to accept the invitation. Because if that is not the case and the President's do decide for the first time tomorrow who to invite and call to issue invites that leaves each schools BOR to put together a meeting in like one hour.

I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet that the 4 finalists have already voted or else they wouldn't be finalists. The conference isn't going to set themselves up to get turned down. They are all finalists for a reason. If any of them get invited they are all for sure coming to the MVC.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » May 7th, 2017, 9:06 am

mvfcfan wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:24 hours to go! Hopefully, we'll hear there will be a Tuesday announcement as said would be the case if the President's come to a decision on Monday. I was thinking about this last night that this doesn't make sense unless the decision has already been made the each universities BOR has already met and decided to accept the invitation. Because if that is not the case and the President's do decide for the first time tomorrow who to invite and call to issue invites that leaves each schools BOR to put together a meeting in like one hour.

I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet that the 4 finalists have already voted or else they wouldn't be finalists. The conference isn't going to set themselves up to get turned down. They are all finalists for a reason. If any of them get invited they are all for sure coming to the MVC.

This. There's no way the league or the schools go through the trouble of a visit if they haven't already made up their minds.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 7th, 2017, 9:11 am

BCPanther wrote:
mvfcfan wrote:

This. There's no way the league or the schools go through the trouble of a visit if they haven't already made up their minds.

I cant speak for every other university but I watched the Murray State BOR meeting and they said that should they get invited they would have to set up an emergency BOR meeting to discuss it. You can watch it on YouTube if youre interested.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby smidge34 » May 7th, 2017, 9:19 am

That's a required formality and nothing more. Of course an answer to whether or not we would accept is already in place. That's why we pay our administrators.
smidge34
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby underdawg » May 7th, 2017, 8:53 pm

Again: Good luck to all who want to join up---to me both Valpo AND Murray State make the most sense--but I guess sense does not always rule the day---
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball