MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team league

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team lea

Postby Bball Junkie » April 8th, 2017, 7:53 am

Redhawk wrote:
Bball Junkie wrote:
As an Evansville fan, this would really help with attendance based on familiarity and long term rivalries. The Aces go way back with Indiana St, SIU, Murray St, and Valpo.

It seems like this whole plan is to help the weaker programs in the Valley so Evansville should be happy.
I laughed at "Paducah TV market."

Why laugh at the Paducah/Cape Girardeau TV market? It's ranked between 78-83 in the USA, which is barely below the Wichita ranking and better than many current Valley member markets. Bringing Valley tv, advertising, media coverage to new areas in the region is not a bad thing.

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/corp ... -ranks.pdf
Bball Junkie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby purple&orange » April 8th, 2017, 8:12 am

Which is more important, getting into a new big media market where you are somewhere to a small fish/afterthought or going after a school where every night the lead story in the sports segment, newspaper will be their game?

I honestly don't know, the larger market opens up the potential for more eyeballs to go after, perhaps convert whereas a smaller market may not have many newcomers to join the bandwagon if you will. I think there is some value to a mix but ultimately the product not the market is the key. No offense to Murray State but they are the story in that town, what else is there? I do think there is value in that, being the biggest story night in and night out.

Sadly like football drives most everything in college athletics, so does tv and it's why we are where we are today. Why Rutgers, a complete dumpster fire of an athletic program, is in the Big Ten because it allegedly gives the conference an "in" in the NYC market......as if anyone is trying to watch Rutgers football or basketball. It's why they are going to MSG a week early for the tournament next year.

Ultimately for the league to have success, the program or programs who come in don't have to be world beaters in year one. There is a lot of room to improve from those still here July 1st and a league has strength when it has a number of solid teams, something that didn't happen this year.
purple&orange
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby squirrel » April 8th, 2017, 8:46 am

The only selling point for SLU right now is the future of the A10.

I think they are starting to recognize the Big East wants no part of them. Keep in mind that Wichita's move was nearly accompanied by Dayton and VCU.

While SLU likes the east coast exposure, they signed on to a league that included Temple, Charlotte, Xavier and Dayton. While the league has added VCU and George Mason, if Dayton and VCU leaves, they are in a league where the nearest school is Duquesne, and the name programs are Richmond, UMass and St. Joseph's. And it's doubtful UMass and Richmond are in it for the long haul, either.

That said, they aren't going to make any moves until they see where the Travis Ford era takes them.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Dawgbit » April 8th, 2017, 8:53 am

Murray State has had a "winning tradition" primarily because they play very weak competition, both in and out of conference. They made many NCAA appearances, by winning OVC tournament (cough, cough), have never advanced past second round. If my memory serves me correctly. they have not been to the Dance since Belmont joined the league. They are legends in their own minds, and they are located in Podunck, Kentucky. I would love to see SLU, but it ain't gonna happen. Sad to see the MVC so watered down that people are excited about Murray State, ugh.
Dawgbit
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Dean Wormer » April 8th, 2017, 9:21 am

Redhawk wrote:
Dean... if you are trying to sell SLU on dropping down to the Valley you have to have a selling point.
Personally I don't think that the Big East will add anymore schools but they are living that dream.
SLU is a better long term option for the Valley than Valpo or Belmont and if in 5 years they become the " next big thing" and leave I would be fine with that.

Why pay a 5 if you can be convincing enough to get an 8 to go steady with you!
[/quote][/quote]

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. First off, if I can't get SLU LONG TERM, then I am not selling. As previously stated, paying a "5" for a one night stand is not considered selling or having an ounce of dating game. If I have to drain the bank account for one night stand with an average chubby girl, then I am better off taking a shower and a walk.

In one sentence you say "SLU is better long term and in 5 years if they become the next big thing and leave, fine.........

Simply put, SLU is not an "8", and 5 years isn't going steady.
Last edited by Dean Wormer on April 8th, 2017, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Dawgbit » April 8th, 2017, 9:25 am

Bball Junkie wrote:I agree - forget SLU. Their program is worse than Belmont. Plus, the St. Louis market is already in play for the Valley, both in terms of TV and recruiting. Give me Belmont, Murray State, and Valpo and sign the contract immediately. These fit the Valley footprint, even out the public/private alignment, create natural rivals/travel rotations, brings in the Nashville and Paducah TV markets, and weakens other nearby mid major conferences. This will solidify the Valley as a strong mid major conference and show the basketball world that this conference is serious about its longevity and competitive nature.

Rivals and easy travel rotations for scheduling:
Evansville/Indiana St
Belmont/Murray St
Loyola/Valpo
Bradley/Illinois State
Drake/Northern Iowa
SIU/Missouri St

As an Evansville fan, this would really help with attendance based on familiarity and long term rivalries. The Aces go way back with Indiana St, SIU, Murray St, and Valpo.

99.3% of college basketball fans in KY don't know there are any schools except for the one that is located in Lexington. And that includes Paducah.
Dawgbit
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » April 8th, 2017, 9:27 am

Dawgbit wrote:Murray State has had a "winning tradition" primarily because they play very weak competition, both in and out of conference. They made many NCAA appearances, by winning OVC tournament (cough, cough), have never advanced past second round. If my memory serves me correctly. they have not been to the Dance since Belmont joined the league. They are legends in their own minds, and they are located in Podunck, Kentucky. I would love to see SLU, but it ain't gonna happen. Sad to see the MVC so watered down that people are excited about Murray State, ugh.

People often disregard logic when they have a hate boner.

I highly suggest you watch the 2010/2012/2015 Racer teams and repeat that first sentence with a straight face.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Dean Wormer » April 8th, 2017, 9:31 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Dawgbit wrote:Murray State has had a "winning tradition" primarily because they play very weak competition, both in and out of conference. They made many NCAA appearances, by winning OVC tournament (cough, cough), have never advanced past second round. If my memory serves me correctly. they have not been to the Dance since Belmont joined the league. They are legends in their own minds, and they are located in Podunck, Kentucky. I would love to see SLU, but it ain't gonna happen. Sad to see the MVC so watered down that people are excited about Murray State, ugh.

People often disregard logic when they have a hate boner.

I highly suggest you watch the 2010/2012/2015 Racer teams and repeat that first sentence with a straight face.

Exactly MVU,

Since we already have state schools in "Podunk" Southern Illinois and "Podunk" Iowa, I don't see why "Podunk" Kentucky wouldn't fit right in.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Drakey » April 8th, 2017, 9:44 am

Would Grand Canyon have interest? It is only on flight a year, and they really seem to be interested in their basketball program. I haven't paid a lot of attention, but noticed New Orleans made the NCAA tournament this year after the program almost went D2 a few years back. do they have fans, facilities and commitment? I remember when Dick Versace was advocating that the Valley should be adding them and some other city schools back in the 80's.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheAsianSensation » April 8th, 2017, 10:33 am

I wouldn't bother with St Louis. Their endgame is the Big East. And as long as that's true, they'll never downgrade basketball conferences on their way there.

All that said, even if it's a 5 year rental, I'd absorb St Louis into the conference. Desperate conferences doing desperate things.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball