MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team league

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team lea

Postby tribecalledquest » April 30th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Mikovio wrote:
PantherU wrote:The list of Greater Milwaukee kids going to MVC schools isn't exactly long...Steve McWhorter, Reed Timmer, Juwan McCloud, Chip Rank, D'Angalo Jackson. If I'm missing any please feel free to add them.

Joah Tucker? He went to the same high school as my counsins in Milwaukee. Went to Bradley and transferred back home to UWM when we fired Molinari, and became Horizon POY and led UWM to the Sweet 16. Bradley fans tend to forget about him because he was overshadowed by the loss of future NBA all star Danny Granger, which was a complete mess. My what could have been. Tucker will make his return to Peoria in July for the TBT Midwest regional, leading the UWM alums.

I do think having schools in Chicago and Milwaukee help, if for no other reason than it's a selling point to recruits from those cities that they know they'll get a game every year in front of friends and family. That doesn't mean we should pick up UMKC or Detroit for that reason but all else being equal you grab every recruiting advantage you can.

Ben Walker and Rodney Buford were pretty good for Creighton.

Alot of Milwaukee city kids don't have the grades out of HS. It's a mess.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby PantherU » April 30th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Mikovio wrote:
PantherU wrote:The list of Greater Milwaukee kids going to MVC schools isn't exactly long...Steve McWhorter, Reed Timmer, Juwan McCloud, Chip Rank, D'Angalo Jackson. If I'm missing any please feel free to add them.

Joah Tucker? He went to the same high school as my counsins in Milwaukee. Went to Bradley and transferred back home to UWM when we fired Molinari, and became Horizon POY and led UWM to the Sweet 16. Bradley fans tend to forget about him because he was overshadowed by the loss of future NBA all star Danny Granger, which was a complete mess. My what could have been. Tucker will make his return to Peoria in July for the TBT Midwest regional, leading the UWM alums.

I do think having schools in Chicago and Milwaukee help, if for no other reason than it's a selling point to recruits from those cities that they know they'll get a game every year in front of friends and family. That doesn't mean we should pick up UMKC or Detroit for that reason but all else being equal you grab every recruiting advantage you can.

You know what's really funny about me forgetting to add Joah?

This picture, which I'll link rather than embed in this so we don't have a really big picture on the post.
PantherU
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby uniftw » April 30th, 2017, 9:36 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Ben Walker and Rodney Buford were pretty good for Creighton.

Alot of Milwaukee city kids don't have the grades out of HS. It's a mess.

It's the same story for many St Louis and Twin Cities kids. There are a few reliable schools at getting "qualifiers" out there, but most aren't.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby underdawg » May 1st, 2017, 9:16 am

Here's hoping all the teams that want into our league get in--Probably will be Murray and Valpo. I as a Saluki fan look forward to seeing your teams and you fans at game in Carbondale soon.

Murray would also make a fine geographically close addition in football too. Probably would have to wait one year to play a full schedule of MVFC league games--University of North Dakota has to set out this year and next (2018) to clear their schedule for league play.

Should be an interesting year for all in 2017-18

I'd say you'll know by early next week at the latest
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » May 1st, 2017, 10:19 am

underdawg wrote:Here's hoping all the teams that want into our league get in--Probably will be Murray and Valpo. I as a Saluki fan look forward to seeing your teams and you fans at game in Carbondale soon.

Murray would also make a fine geographically close addition in football too. Probably would have to wait one year to play a full schedule of MVFC league games--University of North Dakota has to set out this year and next (2018) to clear their schedule for league play.

UND isn't joining the MVFC until 2020. League schedules are already set through 2019.

Will be interesting to see what happens with MUSU on it, and if the OVC want's to be petty about it.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby underdawg » May 1st, 2017, 5:01 pm

uniftw wrote:
underdawg wrote:Here's hoping all the teams that want into our league get in--Probably will be Murray and Valpo. I as a Saluki fan look forward to seeing your teams and you fans at game in Carbondale soon.

UND isn't joining the MVFC until 2020. League schedules are already set through 2019.

Will be interesting to see what happens with MUSU on it, and if the OVC want's to be petty about it.

Thanx for the correction --2020
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby valleydays » May 1st, 2017, 6:11 pm

According to a post on the Murray State board, they won't accept an invite unless football is included. I assume that means MVFC. Has anyone heard if the MVFC has been in discussions with Murray State?
valleydays
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby mvfcfan » May 1st, 2017, 6:38 pm

valleydays wrote:According to a post on the Murray State board, they won't accept an invite unless football is included. I assume that means MVFC. Has anyone heard if the MVFC has been in discussions with Murray State?

No, but it's pretty well known that the MVC and Summit League teams that play D1 scholarship football get to play in the MVFC. If Murray State wants in the MVFC and they are a member of the MVC they will get an invite. The MVC and the MVFC are basically the same league. They run out of the same office and anyone that thinks they are actually two totally different leagues are mistaken.

UND joined the MVFC with no problems after joining the Summit League. I see no reason as to why it would be different with Murray St. It also allows the MVFC to go to divisions which might help some schools with travel costs a little bit.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby RacerJoeD » May 1st, 2017, 6:44 pm

That's not true. That was suggested by one poster, but with no real info. If an MVC invite were extended, there are options.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherU » May 1st, 2017, 7:03 pm

RacerJoeD wrote:That's not true. That was suggested by one poster, but with no real info. If an MVC invite were extended, there are options.

Even if it were true, I'd be surprised if Murray State weren't invited for football.
PantherU
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball