MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team league

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team lea

Postby mvfcfan » April 10th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Svoboda wrote:
Drakey wrote:Is there any chance Indiana State will drop football and focus on their basketball program? They should be a basketball school. Indiana can rarely assemble a competitive football team. It is not realistic to think indiana State can do so.
That was the intention by our AD a couple ADs ago by severely limiting funding but they never put the final nail in the coffin and closed it. Honestly, with the lack of interest, it is what likely should be done but I don't think anyone has the balls to follow through and do it.

I hope we don't ever drop football. That would be a mistake.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby musiccitybulldog » April 10th, 2017, 1:34 pm

One of the best football games I ever saw was Drake Vs Indiana State in Des Moines about 1982-83. Indiana State won with about 2 seconds left. won on a 50 yard field goal.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 10th, 2017, 1:45 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:One of the best football games I ever saw was Drake Vs Indiana State in Des Moines about 1982-83. Indiana State won with about 2 seconds left. won on a 50 yard field goal.
Ah, the good old days when both cared and tried.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TOPSTRAIGHT » April 10th, 2017, 5:28 pm

IMO the only way Murray State can afford the move will be finding more money.

1.)They will need to either drop football OR go to the Pioneer League(I-AA non-scholarship).This would free up a LOT of money making the move affordable.

2.)Need to come in with a close travel partner.BELMONT is the best choice or some other newly added school within a four hour bus ride.This cuts travel cost for ALL your sports,promotes rivalries,and gives other MVC schools a 2 game southern swing trip for several sports.SEMO would work--at least geographically speaking.

3.) They will need to increase fund raising from private sources.State of Kentucky continues to cut higher education.One help may be starting or increasing some sort of small athletic fee on all students(if you can get it passed).

I think the OVC exit fee is one million.They also recently cut men's tennis and considered cutting others.

At least two of these three would need to happen.It would be a great move for Murray and the MVC!
TOPSTRAIGHT
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Svoboda » April 10th, 2017, 5:35 pm

mvfcfan wrote:
Svoboda wrote:
Drakey wrote:Is there any chance Indiana State will drop football and focus on their basketball program? They should be a basketball school. Indiana can rarely assemble a competitive football team. It is not realistic to think indiana State can do so.
That was the intention by our AD a couple ADs ago by severely limiting funding but they never put the final nail in the coffin and closed it. Honestly, with the lack of interest, it is what likely should be done but I don't think anyone has the balls to follow through and do it.

I hope we don't ever drop football. That would be a mistake.

We'll agree to disagree there. Our football alumni don't even give a s*** about the program. We have thousands of them over 100 years of football and only a couple donate. Toss in the fact that we've gone from dead last in spending to middle of the pack, become competitive and nobody on campus or in the community cares, it's dead money anyhow.
Sycamore Pride - http://www.sycamorepride.com
MVC News & Social Media Aggregator - https://www.mvctalk.com
Svoboda
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Murraygrad05 » April 10th, 2017, 6:39 pm

TOPSTRAIGHT wrote:IMO the only way Murray State can afford the move will be finding more money.

1.)They will need to either drop football OR go to the Pioneer League(I-AA non-scholarship).This would free up a LOT of money making the move affordable.

2.)Need to come in with a close travel partner.BELMONT is the best choice or some other newly added school within a four hour bus ride.This cuts travel cost for ALL your sports,promotes rivalries,and gives other MVC schools a 2 game southern swing trip for several sports.SEMO would work--at least geographically speaking.

3.) They will need to increase fund raising from private sources.State of Kentucky continues to cut higher education.One help may be starting or increasing some sort of small athletic fee on all students(if you can get it passed).

I think the OVC exit fee is one million.They also recently cut men's tennis and considered cutting others.

At least two of these three would need to happen.It would be a great move for Murray and the MVC!

1. There have been numerous discussions on our board in the past 2 or 3 years about just cutting out football. We lose money every time we have to open the stadium only to fill it about 1/4 of the way to capacity. There is not much push from the community for football. So I agree with this. We also have Morehead in the OVC that plays non scholarship football and plays OVC basketball so it would not be anything new.

2. This is something that is debatable. We are only a 2 1/2 hour drive or so from Evansville and about the same to Carbondale. So we already have our travel partners if we join. Belmont would be another 2 hours south for the northern teams and also Belmont has stated they do not want to dish out any more than they have to for travel and added expenses.

3. Sadly this is how it is in any state funded school. Doesn't matter if it's Illinois, Indiana, or us. Money is tight everywhere. Adding an additional cost to students is always touchy since they usually aren't happy anyway to be paying so much. But also it does not help that the university is usually mailing out donor letters with little to no return. We have the alumni to provide generously if they just would.

Yes I agree that this an outstanding opportunity for our university and hopefully, if all that has been going around is true, the administration will not screw this up.
Murraygrad05
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby mvfcfan » April 11th, 2017, 10:57 am

Svoboda wrote:We'll agree to disagree there. Our football alumni don't even give a s*** about the program. We have thousands of them over 100 years of football and only a couple donate. Toss in the fact that we've gone from dead last in spending to middle of the pack, become competitive and nobody on campus or in the community cares, it's dead money anyhow.

The problem with football is the fact that we had a couple really bad losing streaks. Another big problem is that ISU doesn't do a good job of promoting themselves as D1. Almost everyone in Terre Haute thinks ISU is D2 (whether it's basketball or football). Our attendance for football is slowly getting better and I'm really excited that we are going to have a couple of night games this year. Hopefully our new coach is a lot better than the last (aka no more strange play calling).

They're having a vote this week on whether or not to make every FCS season 12 games (up from 11). That might give us a chance at getting 2 FBS teams on the schedule which would help our budget out. At the worst I'd like to see us go OVC, because I think it would be easier for us to compete at that level and we wouldn't have to send the football team all the way up to Fargo (or Grand Forks in a couple of years). The OVC seems more of a fit for ISU than the MVC. I also like the fact that they are an all-sports conference.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » April 11th, 2017, 11:02 am

mvfcfan wrote:
Svoboda wrote:We'll agree to disagree there. Our football alumni don't even give a s*** about the program. We have thousands of them over 100 years of football and only a couple donate. Toss in the fact that we've gone from dead last in spending to middle of the pack, become competitive and nobody on campus or in the community cares, it's dead money anyhow.

The problem with football is the fact that we had a couple really bad losing streaks. Another big problem is that ISU doesn't do a good job of promoting themselves as D1. Almost everyone in Terre Haute thinks ISU is D2 (whether it's basketball or football). Our attendance for football is slowly getting better and I'm really excited that we are going to have a couple of night games this year. Hopefully our new coach is a lot better than the last (aka no more strange play calling).

They're having a vote this week on whether or not to make every FCS season 12 games (up from 11). That might give us a chance at getting 2 FBS teams on the schedule which would help our budget out. At the worst I'd like to see us go OVC, because I think it would be easier for us to compete at that level and we wouldn't have to send the football team all the way up to Fargo (or Grand Forks in a couple of years). The OVC seems more of a fit for ISU than the MVC. I also like the fact that they are an all-sports conference.

A few bad losing seasons?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » April 16th, 2017, 1:08 pm

Weekly get r done post.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » April 16th, 2017, 2:18 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Weekly get r done post.

I feel like the judge in Caddyshack.

Well. We're waiting....
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball