MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Re: MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team lea

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby SMUfan » April 17th, 2017, 6:50 pm

mvfcfan wrote:
Svoboda wrote:We'll agree to disagree there. Our football alumni don't even give a s*** about the program. We have thousands of them over 100 years of football and only a couple donate. Toss in the fact that we've gone from dead last in spending to middle of the pack, become competitive and nobody on campus or in the community cares, it's dead money anyhow.

The problem with football is the fact that we had a couple really bad losing streaks. Another big problem is that ISU doesn't do a good job of promoting themselves as D1. Almost everyone in Terre Haute thinks ISU is D2 (whether it's basketball or football). Our attendance for football is slowly getting better and I'm really excited that we are going to have a couple of night games this year. Hopefully our new coach is a lot better than the last (aka no more strange play calling).

They're having a vote this week on whether or not to make every FCS season 12 games (up from 11). That might give us a chance at getting 2 FBS teams on the schedule which would help our budget out. At the worst I'd like to see us go OVC, because I think it would be easier for us to compete at that level and we wouldn't have to send the football team all the way up to Fargo (or Grand Forks in a couple of years). The OVC seems more of a fit for ISU than the MVC. I also like the fact that they are an all-sports conference.

That vote failed last week.
SMUfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby TheAsianSensation » April 17th, 2017, 6:52 pm

They said the process would be discreet....seems to be happening so far.

I have to imagine we're at the point in the process where schools are negotiating their exits. Given the super-short time frame, there's probably a lot of buyout talk going on between several sides, so I'm not panicking if things are quiet for another week or so.

If we get into May though, we'll likely have to bite the bullet and play at 9 for a year.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby tribecalledquest » April 17th, 2017, 9:22 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:They said the process would be discreet....seems to be happening so far.

I have to imagine we're at the point in the process where schools are negotiating their exits. Given the super-short time frame, there's probably a lot of buyout talk going on between several sides, so I'm not panicking if things are quiet for another week or so.

If we get into May though, we'll likely have to bite the bullet and play at 9 for a year.

That won't happen.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Chuck_A » April 17th, 2017, 9:37 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:They said the process would be discreet....seems to be happening so far.

NKU came aboard the Horizon League the first week of May in 2015 for the '15-'16 season. That still worked as the HL had to rework Volleyball and Men's and Women's Soccer schedules.
Chuck_A
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby TheAsianSensation » April 17th, 2017, 10:00 pm

Chuck_A wrote:

NKU came aboard the Horizon League the first week of May in 2015 for the '15-'16 season. That still worked as the HL had to rework Volleyball and Men's and Women's Soccer schedules.

That might've been a bit perfect-stormy as the A-Sun took independent NJIT to take NKU's slot in the A-Sun, plus they didn't have a football program to move like Murray St theoretically would.

Yeah, it's doable if we go into May but it gets complicated.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BCPanther » April 18th, 2017, 6:16 am

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Chuck_A wrote:

That might've been a bit perfect-stormy as the A-Sun took independent NJIT to take NKU's slot in the A-Sun, plus they didn't have a football program to move like Murray St theoretically would.

Yeah, it's doable if we go into May but it gets complicated.

There's no way Murray State can play football in the MVFC this year. Schedules are set, travel plans booked and games are out to TV partners to bid. No matter where they play basketball, they have to play football in the OVC this fall.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » April 18th, 2017, 9:48 am

BCPanther wrote:
There's no way Murray State can play football in the MVFC this year. Schedules are set, travel plans booked and games are out to TV partners to bid. No matter where they play basketball, they have to play football in the OVC this fall.

And that could be easily done.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » April 18th, 2017, 11:38 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
BCPanther wrote:

Absolutely. I think they'll play there for the next two years of invited. The OVC doesn't want to tear their schedules apart either and to be honest Murray isn't very good, nobody wants to get rid of wins...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » April 18th, 2017, 12:22 pm

BCPanther wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
BCPanther wrote:

Absolutely. I think they'll play there for the next two years of invited. The OVC doesn't want to tear their schedules apart either and to be honest Murray isn't very good, nobody wants to get rid of wins...

Good point. Keep the wins and schedule. Random note....Austin Peay is 1-45 overall in football the last four seasons. Just drop the sport for crying out loud.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball