MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team league

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team lea

Postby LMS » April 28th, 2017, 9:48 am

I can only speak for Omaha, but virtually no one in this city attends Maverick basketball games. I would anticipate the contributed attendance in St. Louis to be commensurate with Evansville.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Dawgbit » April 28th, 2017, 9:52 am

RacerJoeD wrote:(Sources: MSU men's basketball record book; SIU men's basketball media guide)

In case anyone's wondering, Mirray State's all-time is:

25-12 vs. Evansville
17-17 vs. Southern Illinois
7-7 vs. Bradley
2-0 vs. Drake
3-1 vs. Illinois State
3-7 vs. Indiana State
2-1 vs. Missouri State
0-1 vs.Loyola (Ill.) [1964 NCAA Tournament]
0-0 vs. Northern Iowa

I really look forward to seeing these teams come to Murray.

You need to read the media guide again. Counting this year, SIU is 18-16 vs Murray, with half of those losses occurring prior to 1951 (sort of ancient history).
Dawgbit
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby goyotes » April 28th, 2017, 10:09 am

http://thesouthern.com/sports/blog-mvc-roundtable-about-the-future-of-the-league/article_d2946ec8-144f-5675-ac7b-ae8cb7b94f99.html

The above link is a good blog by Todd Hefferman, SIU beat writer for the Southern. It contains the opinions of various MVC beat writers. I lean towards the MVC expanding to 12 teams. The 3 new members will likely be identified in the near future, but could see 1 or 2 not joining the MVC until the the 2018-19 school year. My guess on 2 of the 3 new members is Valpo & Murray State. The 3rd will likely be Milwaukee, but UMKC or UIC could be the surprise pick.

I really don't see Omaha being in the MVC. They are too new to D1 and they are a distant number 3 to the Huskers and Creighton with regards to fan interest in Omaha. If the Summit League were to lose Omaha,it would put the Summit in precarious position, which in turn would do the same to the MVFC. Based on this alone, I don't see the MVFC members of the MVC voting to add Omaha.
goyotes
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby uniftw » April 28th, 2017, 10:13 am

MidWestMidMajor wrote:This post showed up on csnbbs:

"Take it for what its worth. Panther insider says the MVC is going to 12. At least that is what they told the people at UWM. Valpo is a lock. Going into the process, the other three being considered, in order, were Murray State, Omaha and Milwaukee. No one else is being considered. Murray State cemented its position after the tour. Evidently, Omaha's tour didn't go well. It his belief that the MVC's opinion of Milwaukee was very positive after the tour. He thinks Milwaukee has passed up Omaha in the pecking order. Besides the media market, one reason Milwaukee is getting strong consideration is because the city produces a high number of mid-major players, who are recruiting targets for Valley schools."

It's just a guy quoting another guy about some gossip that supposedly leaked out from the MVC's visit to UW-Milw.

Maybe it's just smoke. Maybe there is some fire to it.

I had heard Omaha's visit went REALLY poorly. Almost nothing that went "sold" was able to be verified and the session going over the books was horrendous.

I'm not sold on UWM, HOWEVER, if we are going to add a 12th immediately and they can promise that they get their administrative crap in order I would take them over any other potential options.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Dawgbit » April 28th, 2017, 10:26 am

Some poster on here was curious as to my "vendetta" with Murray State. Let me help you out.

SIU quit playing Murray State in football about 10 years or so, based upon a decision by our A.D. after a game at Murray, where their players were absolute thugs. SIU had a running get a broken leg in that game. The Murray players were taunting SIU with "we f****d up your running back, great sportsmanship. Our AD at the time, who is now the AD at Colorado State said "enough". Their basketball program used to be coached by that snotty-nosed Mick Cronin, who routinely looked for cast-off thugs transfers (google Keith Jennifer) from other programs. Cronin is now at Cincinnati, speaks volumes. I have a friend who went to Murray on an athletic scholarship who had a run in with Mr Jennifer, who I have reason to believe may be in prison as we speak, so the way Murray runs their programs does not sit well with me. And there is no benefit to Wichita State leaving the MVC, you can try to pretty it up if you want. Instead of the league playing down to Murray and Valpo we should be striving to playing up to the likes of Wichita State, Creighton, and other members like SIU, Northern Iowa who have fielded very good teams that DEMONSTRATED POST SEASON SUCCESS.
Dawgbit
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Dean Wormer » April 28th, 2017, 10:43 am

LMS wrote:I can only speak for Omaha, but virtually no one in this city attends Maverick basketball games. I would anticipate the contributed attendance in St. Louis to be commensurate with Evansville.

Apparently you weren't in St. Louis last year. UE will bring plenty of fans when they are given a reason to do so.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby shocktheheart » April 28th, 2017, 10:45 am

Dean Wormer wrote:
LMS wrote:I can only speak for Omaha, but virtually no one in this city attends Maverick basketball games. I would anticipate the contributed attendance in St. Louis to be commensurate with Evansville.

Apparently you weren't in St. Louis last year. UE will bring plenty of fans when they are given a reason to do so.

What is plenty? 1,000? 2,000?
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Dawgbit » April 28th, 2017, 11:03 am

uniftw wrote:
Bball Junkie wrote:So, Murray wins against Evansville by 2 points in both 2013 and 2014 while having NBA players on the roster and Evansville had Mockevicius and Balentine. Evansville won in overtime by 4 in 2015 and then by 32 points in 2016 with both teams in rebuild years. Looks like a pretty even matchup. It's a good rivalry.

http://www.ncaa.com/game/basketball-men ... -murray-st

Being equivalent to Evansville isn't a great way to ingratiate themselves to the MVC.

Oh I'm sure they would had "routinely" beaten Wichita State also.
Dawgbit
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » April 28th, 2017, 11:37 am

uniftw wrote:I'm not sold on UWM, HOWEVER, if we are going to add a 12th immediately and they can promise that they get their administrative crap in order I would take them over any other potential options.

Didn't the league just do this with LUC? Why not tell them there is a spot open as soon as they get their crap in order instead of letting them in and then hoping for the best?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bjhracer » April 28th, 2017, 12:02 pm

Dawgbit wrote:Some poster on here was curious as to my "vendetta" with Murray State. Let me help you out.

SIU quit playing Murray State in football about 10 years or so, based upon a decision by our A.D. after a game at Murray, where their players were absolute thugs. SIU had a running get a broken leg in that game. The Murray players were taunting SIU with "we f****d up your running back, great sportsmanship. Our AD at the time, who is now the AD at Colorado State said "enough". Their basketball program used to be coached by that snotty-nosed Mick Cronin, who routinely looked for cast-off thugs transfers (google Keith Jennifer) from other programs. Cronin is now at Cincinnati, speaks volumes. I have a friend who went to Murray on an athletic scholarship who had a run in with Mr Jennifer, who I have reason to believe may be in prison as we speak, so the way Murray runs their programs does not sit well with me. And there is no benefit to Wichita State leaving the MVC, you can try to pretty it up if you want. Instead of the league playing down to Murray and Valpo we should be striving to playing up to the likes of Wichita State, Creighton, and other members like SIU, Northern Iowa who have fielded very good teams that DEMONSTRATED POST SEASON SUCCESS.

Its nice you bring up things that allegedly happened over a decade ago. Murray runs a clean program, we graduate student athletes and the university does not condone or cover up and erratic behavior. Mr. Jenifer that you speak of did get arrested while here and was subsequently suspended. It was for possession of marijuana. Im sure no SIU players over the last decade has smoked pot. Guess you got one on us there. My inclination is that you just don't want to get beat by the Racers and don't want the healthy competition.

That's fine. Go ahead add UMKC and Omaha and see how fast your overall conference rpi drops. If you want multi bids and healthy competition the Racers are the obvious choice.
Bjhracer
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball