MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team league

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team lea

Postby smidge34 » April 23rd, 2017, 1:37 pm

Who needs a "magic cure all"? Murray been ranked in the top 25 and top 10 in two different seasons in the last 6 years. Just had a down year or two between losing our head coach to Iowa State and a sophomore PG to NBA. It was a perfect storm but don't count on that continuing. History says otherwise and our record vs MVC competition is solid the last decade. We are a good catch for the MVC and will do well.
smidge34
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheAsianSensation » April 23rd, 2017, 2:58 pm

Every candidate has attendance problems, really. Well, I wouldn't call them problems, but no one is carrying the magic bullet on this factor.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby mvfcfan » April 23rd, 2017, 3:12 pm

Lakesbison wrote:again, ill say.

Who travels in college basketball?? Murray state or Valpo people aren't driving out to Drake , show me a team that takes over 1000 fans to an away game in college bball... there isn't many.

so lets rule that out.

I've traveled plenty of times for basketball games. There's no way in hell I (or anyone else) would go to NDSU for a basketball game, but I (as would others) would be more than willing to drive to Valpo or Murray State for a game.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby musiccitybulldog » April 23rd, 2017, 3:18 pm

I mentioned this on the Drake board. Murray State has something like 14 NCAA tournament appearances since 1988. Plus several NIT appearances. They have great tournament name recognition, due to the number of appearances. No doubt when they have these NBA'ers playing they fill the place.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SMUfan » April 23rd, 2017, 3:34 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:Every candidate has attendance problems, really. Well, I wouldn't call them problems, but no one is carrying the magic bullet on this factor.

What is NKU's attendance?
SMUfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby RacerJoeD » April 23rd, 2017, 3:44 pm

According to Valpo board, about 2300.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Murraygrad05 » April 23rd, 2017, 3:56 pm

I think you misinterpreted my post. Here's what I was trying to get across...

Comparing attendance for Murray against Creighton or Wichita is going to be a big difference. We will not ever probably draw 10k. It's just a fact. We are a more rural area than a metro. I just didn't see the point of only bringing those 2 up and leaving out all the more compatible schools.

What I was trying to get at is that we are almost perfectly in line with the MVC average attendance numbers. I don't really care what year's attendance graph I was using because it will never be accurate. On good years, like every team in the nation, we will have a few more thousand bandwaggoners that come out.

I was not saying of this will happen because you never know. That is why we play the game. I hope they don't but Illinois St. can come out next year and win only 5 games. The realistic thing is that you never know until it happens in college basketball.
Murraygrad05
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby IllinoisState » April 23rd, 2017, 8:19 pm

Murraygrad05 wrote:I think you misinterpreted my post. Here's what I was trying to get across...

Comparing attendance for Murray against Creighton or Wichita is going to be a big difference. We will not ever probably draw 10k. It's just a fact. We are a more rural area than a metro. I just didn't see the point of only bringing those 2 up and leaving out all the more compatible schools.

What I was trying to get at is that we are almost perfectly in line with the MVC average attendance numbers. I don't really care what year's attendance graph I was using because it will never be accurate. On good years, like every team in the nation, we will have a few more thousand bandwaggoners that come out.

I was not saying of this will happen because you never know. That is why we play the game. I hope they don't but Illinois St. can come out next year and win only 5 games. The realistic thing is that you never know until it happens in college basketball.

I certainly agree you never know until it happens. I hope it you do join that your numbers can push 4,000.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Murraygrad05 » April 23rd, 2017, 8:59 pm

IllinoisState wrote:
Murraygrad05 wrote:I think you misinterpreted my post. Here's what I was trying to get across...

I certainly agree you never know until it happens. I hope it you do join that your numbers can push 4,000.

I'm sure we will. There is a lot of excitement buzzing here about the potential move. We also seem to have our administration 100% backing the move and that will help. As some other posts said it is not "magic cure all" but the OVC has done nothing to improve itself and the administration is a joke. I'm not going to be one of those fans that says we kept the OVC going, because that's not true. But this year most fans of Jacksonville State did not even know who their head coach was until they won the tournament. But we've gone as far as we can go in the OVC and it's just time to go.

SIU and Evansville will draw big crowds as the usually do as we already have established rivalries there. A lot of us usually made the trip to Indiana State when we had that series going with them. There's a few of us die hards that travel almost any where we are in the gym. Not going to say its a big crowd, but a respectable number. We have quite a few alumni in the St. Louis area also so our Arch Madness number should be strong.

Didn't mean to throw Illinois St. under the bus either. That was the only analogy I could think of since you had a strong year last year. Still not real sure how we beat you after how the rest of our season went.
Murraygrad05
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Herd » April 23rd, 2017, 10:29 pm

Sorry, but the disparaging of NDSUs university profile in comparison to Murray State and Valpo is laughable. NDSUs Overall athletic programs would be a huge benefit to the MVC. I can assure you that in conference a conf like the MVC, ndsu would double its basketball budget to 2.5-3 Million within 5 years behind a strong teammaker organization and average 5500 per game. Murray State and Valpo? Really, over ndsu? You must really like your bus league and your incremental thinking. Fargo has a 1/4 million people in the 5 county area, a state following, and has a wide reach into MN. Basketball is a sleeping giant. Valpo and Murray you say? Really, have you been to Valpo and Murray? No comparison to what the FM area offers.
Herd
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball