MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team league

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team lea

Postby tribecalledquest » May 3rd, 2017, 1:39 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:From 1990 to 2000 Private schools won or shared the title five times in the MVC.

From 2001-2010 they won four titles.

Since 2010 there has only been one title by a private school.

Again, no doubt the MVC private schools have not gotten a good return on their investment for the university or the league--but that's really only been a phenomenon the last 7-8 years.

This is MBB stuff I'm talking about. Someone else can worry about volleyball.

Out of general curiosity, how many of those titles are won by a team that is still a part of the league?

Not many. Creighton won quite a few. As has Wichita State on the public side.

Bottom line--other than UNI---none of the other eight schools can beat their chest as it relates to anyone else. Let's leave that stuff alone.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » May 3rd, 2017, 1:46 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:From 1990 to 2000 Private schools won or shared the title five times in the MVC.

Again, no doubt the MVC private schools have not gotten a good return on their investment for the university or the league--but that's really only been a phenomenon the last 7-8 years.

Out of general curiosity, how many of those titles are won by a team that is still a part of the league?

UNI has 13 - 6VB, 3 MBB, 3 WBB, 1 SB

Turns out most of the publics are s*** too.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » May 3rd, 2017, 1:47 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:

Not many. Creighton won quite a few. As has Wichita State on the public side.

Bottom line--other than UNI---none of the other eight schools can beat their chest as it relates to anyone else. Let's leave that stuff alone.

I know that. I was legitimately curious about it. It should be scary to everyone in the league that there are 4 tournament appearances from teams still in the league since 2010. 3 of those are UNI and 1 is ISUb. I would argue that ISUr should have easily been in this year, but still they weren't.

Which is why it is so odd that school presidents would block trying to bring in a team like Murray State. A team who will add to the profile of the conference. I would argue they add more to the conference than Valpo. Which makes you wonder why Murray State would get blocked? I suppose we may never know as they may never let us know who voted for whom.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheAsianSensation » May 3rd, 2017, 1:50 pm

My speculation is that it's not that people are against Murray St (or Valpo)....they're against the philosophy of 11 or 12 teams.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby RacerJoeD » May 3rd, 2017, 2:25 pm

I think that is probably right, which is a real problem because while neither Valpo or Murray can replace WSU, I think an argument can be made that you can make it up in the aggregate (Thanks, Moneyball). However, you have to take both and not one.

I have no clue about 12. But I will say this. If a group of sports professionals who get paid a ton of money can't figure out a decent schedule with any reasonable number of conference schools, I think that says more about the guys making the schedule than the number of teams in the conference, IMO.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » May 3rd, 2017, 2:27 pm

RacerJoeD wrote:I think that is probably right, which is a real problem because while neither Valpo or Murray can replace WSU, I think an argument can be made that you can make it up in the aggregate (Thanks, Moneyball). However, you have to take both and not one.

I have no clue about 12. But I will say this. If a group of sports professionals who get paid a ton of money can't figure out a decent schedule with any reasonable number of conference schools, I think that says more about the guys making the schedule than the number of teams in the conference, IMO.

11 with a true round robin

12 with a gamed RPI schedule.

12 with a POD would work well too, but pod systems could end up screwing the top teams on RPI.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TOPSTRAIGHT » May 3rd, 2017, 2:38 pm

Days of always having to have r-robin schedules are over.

Conferences with 11 teams:

AAC,MAAC,Mountain West. Five others have either 9 or 13.
TOPSTRAIGHT
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Redhawk » May 3rd, 2017, 2:39 pm

RacerJoeD wrote:I have no clue about 12.

Pod/RPI based 18 game schedule:

PODS:
North: UNI, Drake, UWM, Loyola
Middle: Bradley, ISUr, Valpo, ISUb
South: MSU, SIU, Evansville, MuSt

Keeps natural rivalries and splits pretty well Public/Private.

SCHEDULE:

Play H/H with your pod (6) games
H/H with two best (or two worst) teams from other pods (8) games based on RPI
Single games against the other 4 teams.

Let's Go!
Last edited by Redhawk on May 3rd, 2017, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby All-MVC Fan » May 3rd, 2017, 2:40 pm

I don't get the fascination with a 10 team league being the best for crowing "a true conference champion," when the regular season conference champion hasn't mattered, really, for 40 years. The auto bid doesn't go to the "conference (regular season) champion," and a 12 team league conference champion would have every bit as much of a possibility of getting an at-large bid as the champ does today, which is to say next to none. If the regular season champion finishes 16-4 with 5 top 100 wins in a 12 team (or 11) MVC, they will have just as much, if not more, opportunity for the at-large as a 15-3 conference champ with 2 top 100 wins. As someone said above, make up for WSU in aggregate. More good teams will be an adequate replacement for one great team. Might even end up better.

This fascination with 10 is just mind boggling...
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby 83Ace » May 3rd, 2017, 2:45 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:My speculation is that it's not that people are against Murray St (or Valpo)....they're against the philosophy of 11 or 12 teams.

This. The desire to stay at 10 teams with an 18-game round robin schedule is the biggest argument for only adding one team. Related to this is splitting the NCAA money 10 ways instead of 11 or 12. I personally do not find these to be strong arguments - the opportunity to add two (or three) strong teams would outweigh the scheduling concerns and could actually help scheduling for some of the Olympic sports (I know, not a primary concern). But the presidents (advised by ADs) may decide 10 is best.

The Big 12 has had this same argument and chose to stick at 10 teams. A key difference is that they have a TV contract with serious money to split up. The MVC doesn't, and rather than diluting the NCAA money, adding teams may increase the revenue (if it helps us get more than one team in the tournament). Adding teams would also add to league visibility and keep us ahead of the Horizon and others. As an Evansville fan I would love to add both Murray and Valpo.

These things don't always go as expected or as reported/leaked. I don't doubt that Mark Adams reported what his source told him, but nobody can be sure what a group like that is going to decide until they actually decide.
83Ace
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball