MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team league

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team lea

Postby JBoss8393 » May 4th, 2017, 9:10 am

I did send a note to the AD and President at ISUr supporting a move to 12 teams. I actually know the AD from when he joined the ISU athletics department.
JBoss8393
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby RacerJoeD » May 4th, 2017, 9:18 am

Thanks.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbirds4Life » May 4th, 2017, 11:37 am

Best case scenario - Add Murray State, Valpo and Milwaukee

Worst case scenario - Only adding 1 team
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SteinPizza » May 4th, 2017, 12:03 pm

JBoss8393 wrote:
RacerJoeD wrote:Reports on twitter from Dave Reynolds of the Peoria Journal Star that say the vote will be held Monday May 8 and if there is consensus, they will be announced Tuesday May 9.

I sure hope they do the right thing and go to 12, or at least 11. You guys would be a great add to the Valley! Grabbing the Racers and Valpo would be a home run and would make other leagues take notice. Might also entice Belmont to come along.

Completely agree. Let's hope this happens.
SteinPizza
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Rogers101 » May 4th, 2017, 12:25 pm

Redbirds4Life wrote:Best case scenario - Add Murray State, Valpo and Milwaukee

Worst case scenario - Only adding 1 team

I think Valpo and Murray State would be a happy medium. It pulls in a public and a private. I do have an issue replacing a public w/ just another private school. The vision of the conference is going in the wrong direction IMO. As a Bears fan we are seeing all western schools leave and be replaced w/ private schools to the East. Not exactly my preference.

I do think holding off on a 12 team is better for now. I'm not sold on UW-M. I'd like to start at 11 and see what's available next year or the following. I know a lot of people aren't high on UNO or UALR, but I think they are at least intriguing from a growth stand point. I don't care how out of route they are, but UT-Arlington would be a much better get than UW-M. Just my opinion!

Edit: I would rather have ND State over UW-Milwaukee as well.
Rogers101
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby All-MVC Fan » May 4th, 2017, 12:36 pm

I'm guessing Mark Adams didn't go public with his Valpo add story for his health. The more I think about it, the more I'm preparing for the MVC "leadership" to whiff this one and add only Valpo. A guy like Adams doesn't go public with that unless he's got some reason to be pretty darned sure.

They're gonna screw this up. Just watch.
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby RacerJoeD » May 4th, 2017, 1:34 pm

Our newest podcast. We have special guest Ed Marlowe of the Paducah Sun talking MVC and Murray State
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4isVTSu ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by RacerJoeD on May 4th, 2017, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby JBoss8393 » May 4th, 2017, 1:54 pm

All-MVC Fan wrote:I'm guessing Mark Adams didn't go public with his Valpo add story for his health. The more I think about it, the more I'm preparing for the MVC "leadership" to whiff this one and add only Valpo. A guy like Adams doesn't go public with that unless he's got some reason to be pretty darned sure.

They're gonna screw this up. Just watch.

Although Adams did back track on his comments that no meeting had been held and no invites sent. I think he was getting a sense from the coaches that they only wanted to add one, but I think the league presidents are going to look differently at it this time. The idea of maintaining the round robin schedule is ridiculous since the regular season title only assures you of an invite to the NIT. Now if you didn't have a conference tournament, then I could see the importance of a round robin schedule.
JBoss8393
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Brocks » May 4th, 2017, 4:03 pm

As a Bradley fan, I am for both Murray State and Valpo. Intercollegiate athletics are about marketing -- let's face it. Those two programs are for real, and they have name and brand recognition. And besides, I was at one of the best offense-vs-defense expositions ever when the Racers visited BU for a first-round NIT game in 1994. Defense (Bradley during the Molinari era) won out -- 66-58. But what a game. That was my introduction to Murray State basketball, and I've liked what I've seen ever since. Valpo is a bit like Evansville back in the Jim Crews era, and that worries me a little bit. But hey, they've kicked a lot more rear end than Evansville lately (and Bradley, for that matter -- but watch out! -- Wardle's Baby Braves are growing up!)

Welcome to both if all goes well on Monday. :Cheers:
Brocks
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby jjparker084 » May 4th, 2017, 4:06 pm

Rogers101 wrote:I do think holding off on a 12 team is better for now. I'm not sold on UW-M. I'd like to start at 11 and see what's available next year or the following. I know a lot of people aren't high on UNO or UALR, but I think they are at least intriguing from a growth stand point. I don't care how out of route they are, but UT-Arlington would be a much better get than UW-M. Just my opinion!

Out of curiosity, what makes you say that? Both schools are kind of where Milwaukee was in the mid-'00s, only with less success.
jjparker084
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball