MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team league

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team lea

Postby Murraygrad05 » April 22nd, 2017, 9:31 pm

Dawgbit wrote:Let's look at it from a fan support basis. The "pride of the Obscure Valley Conference" is drawing a whopping <3.300 fans per game? And we are supposed to be excited? Count me out.

2016 NCAA men's basketball attendance.
Wichita State: 10,805
Creighton: 15,941
Murray State: 3,266

In the current state of the MVC, I suppose beggars cannot be choosers.

You forgot to mention...
SIU - 5,277
INDIANA ST - 3,267
LOYOLA CHICAGO - 1,831
DRAKE - 3,087
ILLINOIS ST - even as successful as you guys were this year only averaged 5,199

And since they are being mentioned I guess you do not like Milwaukee either since they only bring 2,667. Or if I remember correctly you were on the Belmont wagon that would draw you a paid attendance of 2,536 but from personal experience is closer to 1,000 maybe actual attendance.

Trust me when we start getting teams that 1. travel well and 2. not D2 or Alabama school for the deaf or whatever team that was dead last in the D1 rankings, our numbers will improve. Not a single team in the OVC travels like we do. We did just go through a forgettable season and I'm pretty impressed with a 3,200+ average. When we get this ship corrected and back on track look for our numbers to jump at least 2,000 if not more. It happened in our magical 2012 season and again 3 years ago in Prohm's last year when we went on a 25 game winning streak. You win and butts hit the seats here. You lose and we still come but lose some of the bandwaggoners.
Murraygrad05
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Lakesbison » April 22nd, 2017, 10:00 pm

again, ill say.

Who travels in college basketball?? Murray state or Valpo people aren't driving out to Drake , show me a team that takes over 1000 fans to an away game in college bball... there isn't many.

so lets rule that out.
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby IllinoisState » April 22nd, 2017, 10:11 pm

Murraygrad05 wrote:
Dawgbit wrote:Let's look at it from a fan support basis. The "pride of the Obscure Valley Conference" is drawing a whopping <3.300 fans per game? And we are supposed to be excited? Count me out.

You forgot to mention...
SIU - 5,277
INDIANA ST - 3,267
LOYOLA CHICAGO - 1,831
DRAKE - 3,087

And since they are being mentioned I guess you do not like Milwaukee either since they only bring 2,667. Or if I remember correctly you were on the Belmont wagon that would draw you a paid attendance of 2,536 but from personal experience is closer to 1,000 maybe actual attendance.

Trust me when we start getting teams that 1. travel well and 2. not D2 or Alabama school for the deaf or whatever team that was dead last in the D1 rankings, our numbers will improve. Not a single team in the OVC travels like we do. We did just go through a forgettable season and I'm pretty impressed with a 3,200+ average. When we get this ship corrected and back on track look for our numbers to jump at least 2,000 if not more. It happened in our magical 2012 season and again 3 years ago in Prohm's last year when we went on a 25 game winning streak. You win and butts hit the seats here. You lose and we still come but lose some of the bandwaggoners.

You are using last year's numbers.

Don't you count your chickens before they hatch. You can't be promising all of this because I can guarantee it won't all be happening.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby smidge34 » April 23rd, 2017, 6:52 am

Using school announced figures as the Gospel on attendance is problem number one lol. Hard to take anything in a discussion serious when those numbers are being thrown around.

Edit, this is a photo of the crowd at Morehead vs us this past February and I can't remember exactly but I'm thinking they announced over 4K. I have a photo somewhere of what 9000+ looks like in Alabama if you really want a chuckle.
Attachments
IMG_1108.JPG
4000+ Lmao
IMG_1108.JPG (60.78 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
smidge34
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » April 23rd, 2017, 9:38 am

IllinoisState wrote:
Murraygrad05 wrote:

You forgot to mention...
SIU - 5,277
INDIANA ST - 3,267
LOYOLA CHICAGO - 1,831
DRAKE - 3,087

Don't you count your chickens before they hatch. You can't be promising all of this because I can guarantee it won't all be happening.

We are lucky to potentially have Murray (and Valpo) joining. You need to get over yourself.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby IllinoisState » April 23rd, 2017, 10:41 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
IllinoisState wrote:
Murraygrad05 wrote:
You forgot to mention...
SIU - 5,277
INDIANA ST - 3,267
LOYOLA CHICAGO - 1,831
DRAKE - 3,087

We are lucky to potentially have Murray (and Valpo) joining. You need to get over yourself.

Get over myself for telling someone to be realistic and wait until an event actually happens before promising grand things? Okay, you can go live in a fantasy world since that's too much for you. Either that or look up what the phrase means.

I like Murray State joining, but you can't also believe that joining the MVC is some magic cure-all for all these issues which is how you are acting.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby smidge34 » April 23rd, 2017, 1:37 pm

Who needs a "magic cure all"? Murray been ranked in the top 25 and top 10 in two different seasons in the last 6 years. Just had a down year or two between losing our head coach to Iowa State and a sophomore PG to NBA. It was a perfect storm but don't count on that continuing. History says otherwise and our record vs MVC competition is solid the last decade. We are a good catch for the MVC and will do well.
smidge34
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby TheAsianSensation » April 23rd, 2017, 2:58 pm

Every candidate has attendance problems, really. Well, I wouldn't call them problems, but no one is carrying the magic bullet on this factor.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby mvfcfan » April 23rd, 2017, 3:12 pm

Lakesbison wrote:again, ill say.

Who travels in college basketball?? Murray state or Valpo people aren't driving out to Drake , show me a team that takes over 1000 fans to an away game in college bball... there isn't many.

so lets rule that out.

I've traveled plenty of times for basketball games. There's no way in hell I (or anyone else) would go to NDSU for a basketball game, but I (as would others) would be more than willing to drive to Valpo or Murray State for a game.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby musiccitybulldog » April 23rd, 2017, 3:18 pm

I mentioned this on the Drake board. Murray State has something like 14 NCAA tournament appearances since 1988. Plus several NIT appearances. They have great tournament name recognition, due to the number of appearances. No doubt when they have these NBA'ers playing they fill the place.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball