Re: MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team lea

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TOPSTRAIGHT » April 28th, 2017, 4:42 pm

SET
---Valparaiso-YES
---Murray-----IN

UWM ? -would be the largest enrollment in MVC(27,000)
-would be the only R1 school (big plus with presidents) Super academics.
-large city(#35 media market)
-well over 4,000 students on campus (not just a commuter school)
-Panther Arena (formerly the Mecca) 10,700 capacity recently refurbished-had a crowd of 10,400 in 2011
-1.75 hrs to Loyola-Chicago
-2.75 hrs to VALPARAISO
-4.25 hrs to UNI
-3.5 hrs to BRADLEY
-3.25 hrs to Illinois St.

RPI--four year average--193.Not that great but you have a LOT of other advantages.

I was very leery of the Panthers at first but the more research one does the better they look.Sounds like a good choice for that third spot.

From an outsider's perspective I would go with the Panthers!
TOPSTRAIGHT
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby smidge34 » April 28th, 2017, 6:40 pm

Play Angry wrote:Wichita State has resided in that neighborhood with some frequency of late.

Well they are no longer in MVC so thank you. That's kinda the point. I know a certain OVC team under consideration who has been too about 6 years ago.
smidge34
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby smidge34 » April 28th, 2017, 6:43 pm

Play Angry wrote:Also, UNI just three years ago.

Great, that's one team to go with another prospective member just 3 years prior and top-25 two years later.
smidge34
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Play Angry » April 28th, 2017, 7:05 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Play Angry wrote:Wichita State has resided in that neighborhood with some frequency of late.

Well they are no longer in MVC so thank you. That's kinda the point. I know a certain OVC team under consideration who has been too about 6 years ago.

July 1, bub.

It kinda sounded like you had no idea about UNI being there more recently than your program. In fact, it definitely sounded that way.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby smidge34 » April 28th, 2017, 9:17 pm

I knew they had had a good season or two recently sure. Nice deflection though and the typical response of a JA with nothing else to offer counter to my point lol.
smidge34
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Bigdfromuic » April 28th, 2017, 9:45 pm

I'm a little surprised UIC hasn't gotten more love from MVC fans. You have 1 shot at this and you want UWM over UIC? Because Milwaukee? Lol. Super academics at UWM? Better recheck the rankings. UIC has been research 1 for decades, has the largest med school in the nation, and has top notch academics. Best facilities in the HL by far...Granderson Stadium for baseball with a competitive baseball team to go along with it, a very good soccer team with tournament history/success and a brand new stadium on the way (https://architizer.com/projects/univers ... r-stadium/), a new softball stadium coming, and a new basketball stadium in the works. Does Milwaukee really give you more than a second team in Chicago? UIC is a natural rival with tons of MVC schools, and already has a huge rivalry with Loyola. Most athletic departments are struggling financially...UIC is expanding, having added women's golf and soccer in the last 5 years. UIC is projected to reach 30,000 students in the next few years.

MVC fans have to be smarter than they've shown here. UWM gets thrown out there and everyone latches onto it like it's the next big thing. Have you followed their athletic department over the last decade? Drama.

UIC has struggled in basketball...no doubt. I think we're on the rise. Consider the potential/ceiling for the candidates...UIC's is arguably tops of all candidates...yes even higher than Valpo and Murray State. We were a finalist last time around for a reason...to fall off the face of the earth this expansion makes no sense, unless the MVC doesn't want more presence in Chicago (or Loyola has some veto power)...Valpo is not a Chicago school...I'm sorry. A fun weekend IN Chicago for games against UIC and Loyola is much better than driving 50+ miles to NW Indy.

Am I crazy? I get it...it all comes down to basketball. Murray State...Valpo make sense for that. Milwaukee? What do they truly add over UIC? We're ready to rise in basketball starting next season.
Bigdfromuic
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby ValpoTX » April 28th, 2017, 10:01 pm

What in the world makes you think that UIC has more potential than Valpo and Murray State? Just because it is in Chicago? Come on, man. Facilities and student population size have nothing to do with basketball success. We are getting 3 and 4 star recruits post-Bryce/Alec Peters. We aren't slowing down...
ValpoTX
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby MolineRacer » April 28th, 2017, 10:06 pm

First post here. Hello from RacerNation! I'm ready to see you guys in St Louis next spring. Hopeful we get in! I live in Nashville now but lived in Moline IL year ago, thus the name Moline. I believe some of you have an inflated opinion of Belmont. They've got a great coach and a good system. They do a very good job of recruiting guys that fit that system but have very little following in the Nashville area. Their fans don't travel and most years Murray State outdraws them significantly at the OVC tournament even though it's played in their backyard. You'd be let down by them if they were ever to accept a bid to the MVC. They are probably right where they need to be.

Go Racers!
MolineRacer
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby TOPSTRAIGHT » April 28th, 2017, 10:21 pm

Various media reports indicated visits are over.Murray,Omaha,UWM,and Valparaiso were the only four visited and the teams admitted will come from that list.The game is over.Now it is just a matter of deciding who and how many from THOSE FOUR.
TOPSTRAIGHT
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball