How to improve the MVC?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: How to improve the MVC?

Postby WSpringsBird » April 15th, 2017, 7:23 am

Cdizzle wrote:
Play Angry wrote:You don't get any long term by taking a bunch of buy games to get your ass beat on the road. This is really stupid.

If the goal is to become the SWAC, I can't think of a much faster path.

I heard Muller make a similar point. In response to a question from Chicago-area radio announcers, he said that historically, there have been literally zero D-1 teams that have taken a bunch of buy games and made the tournament as an at-large. So, although there is a first time for everything, I suppose, this seems like a pretty bad way to attempt to improve a team's at-large chances.
WSpringsBird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Drakey » April 15th, 2017, 11:05 am

Are any teams going to be worse than they were last season? It seems to me that everybody should be better or about the same. If the bottom feeder RPI teams from last season can at least be respectable, I think the conference RPI may very well go up. Add a decent team or two and the valley could very well finish in the top ten.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » April 15th, 2017, 3:40 pm

Drakey wrote:Are any teams going to be worse than they were last season? It seems to me that everybody should be better or about the same. If the bottom feeder RPI teams from last season can at least be respectable, I think the conference RPI may very well go up. Add a decent team or two and the valley could very well finish in the top ten.

Illinois State and SIU both take steps back. MSU, UNI, Drake, Bradley should be much better than they were. Everybody else about the same.

Probably a net RPI gain next year,..
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 15th, 2017, 3:47 pm

BCPanther wrote:
Drakey wrote:Are any teams going to be worse than they were last season? It seems to me that everybody should be better or about the same. If the bottom feeder RPI teams from last season can at least be respectable, I think the conference RPI may very well go up. Add a decent team or two and the valley could very well finish in the top ten.

Illinois State and SIU both take steps back. MSU, UNI, Drake, Bradley should be much better than they were. Everybody else about the same.

Probably a net RPI gain next year,..

Great, the MVC will be 11th instead of 12th. Not getting them.anywhere. They need to get to 7th
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Phi13 » April 15th, 2017, 4:39 pm

Getting to 7th will be very hard, given that Wichita State left for the clear-cut seventh-best conference. Eighth could be possible, though.
Phi13
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 15th, 2017, 5:01 pm

Phi13 wrote:Getting to 7th will be very hard, given that Wichita State left for the clear-cut seventh-best conference. Eighth could be possible, though.

I didn't mean in one season. I meant they need to be the yearly 6th or 7th. 8th on a down year.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » April 15th, 2017, 8:25 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Phi13 wrote:Getting to 7th will be very hard, given that Wichita State left for the clear-cut seventh-best conference. Eighth could be possible, though.

I didn't mean in one season. I meant they need to be the yearly 6th or 7th. 8th on a down year.

I can't see in any year that the MVC is capable of being better than any P5, the Big East or the American. The top 7 are pretty set now. A10 and MWC are probably your 8 and 9, MVC at 10 would be an accomplishment going forward
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 15th, 2017, 8:50 pm

Stickboy46 wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:

I can't see in any year that the MVC is capable of being better than any P5, the Big East or the American. The top 7 are pretty set now. A10 and MWC are probably your 8 and 9, MVC at 10 would be an accomplishment going forward

Without changes, sure. Small minded. Stop thinking like title brother or you'll stay little brother.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 15th, 2017, 9:01 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:

Without changes, sure. Small minded. Stop thinking like title brother or you'll stay little brother.

You clearly don't understand dick about how any of this works. Your ideas are horrid. The MVCwasnt consistently top 7 when we were getting 4 teams in. No f****** way it happens now.

You want to know who whites themselves out to all the P5s they could? Savannah State. Guess where they are. Moving down to D2
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » April 15th, 2017, 9:09 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:I didn't mean in one season. I meant they need to be the yearly 6th or 7th. 8th on a down year.

I've yet to see what changes the MVC can make that will allow them to compete with P5+BE+American.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball