How to improve the MVC?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: How to improve the MVC?

Postby ptownbraves » April 14th, 2017, 6:21 am

Aside from scheduling which has already been discussed, negotiating a better TV deal that would give some national exposure to the conference and put more money in schools' pockets to reinvest in their programs. I'm sure easier said than done, but you see the TV revenue these bigger conferences are bringing in and it's a huge advantage.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 14th, 2017, 7:33 am

It's funny when someone provides a suggestion and asks for opinions. Then gets upset when his own opinion does not get support from others.

We do need to upgrade the conference and having a scheduling mandate is the best way to do that again. It has a proven track record and for who knows why, it got taken away.

Simply said, bring that mandate back.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 14th, 2017, 7:36 am

ptownbraves wrote:Aside from scheduling which has already been discussed, negotiating a better TV deal that would give some national exposure to the conference and put more money in schools' pockets to reinvest in their programs. I'm sure easier said than done, but you see the TV revenue these bigger conferences are bringing in and it's a huge advantage.

100% correct. A TV would be huge for the MVC. But, why would anyone give a good TV deal to the MVC? You have to better the conference all the way around. How do you suppose we go about playing games people want to see? The conference has to do something o better itself first. We're at one and everyone wants to go directly to 10 (or stay at 1 in some cases). The MVC will have to take some uncomfortable steps up the ladder before they get to 10 and will have to make sacrifices.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 14th, 2017, 7:37 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:It's funny when someone provides a suggestion and asks for opinions. Then gets upset when his own opinion does not get support from others.

We do need to upgrade the conference and having a scheduling mandate is the best way to do that again. It has a proven track record and for who knows why, it got taken away.

Isn't this what I suggested in the original post? Maybe the mandate would be different but a mandate nonetheless.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 14th, 2017, 7:43 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:It's funny when someone provides a suggestion and asks for opinions. Then gets upset when his own opinion does not get support from others.

Isn't this what I suggested in the original post? Maybe the mandate would be different but a mandate nonetheless.

In a roundabout way. Telling teams to go play 8+ buy games is not feasible in this league. I understand your premise and your thought process (to enhance at large chances), but we just need to schedule zero cupcakes and do 1-2 buy games and play in those noncon tourneys with p5 schools.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ptownbraves » April 14th, 2017, 8:08 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
ptownbraves wrote:Aside from scheduling which has already been discussed, negotiating a better TV deal that would give some national exposure to the conference and put more money in schools' pockets to reinvest in their programs. I'm sure easier said than done, but you see the TV revenue these bigger conferences are bringing in and it's a huge advantage.

100% correct. A TV would be huge for the MVC. But, why would anyone give a good TV deal to the MVC? You have to better the conference all the way around. How do you suppose we go about playing games people want to see? The conference has to do something o better itself first. We're at one and everyone wants to go directly to 10 (or stay at 1 in some cases). The MVC will have to take some uncomfortable steps up the ladder before they get to 10 and will have to make sacrifices.

There's a big push eastward with the A10, AAC, Big East poaching the best mid-major schools from the Midwest. If MVC schools are serious about competing with these conferences in basketball they need to pony up the money to invest in their programs. I just don't see this happening to the extent it needs to anytime soon. When you're dealing with cash-strapped states and dwindling budgets, athletics can seem like a luxury. It's why Creighton left. It's why Wichita left. They stood to gain more from leaving because the MVC failed to make it worth their while by staying. If you replace Wichita with a school like Murray State, Valpo, Belmont, we're treading water as a conference in my opinion. We really need some structural changes if we're going to get better.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » April 14th, 2017, 9:35 am

The problem with removing cupcakes is that it costs money. Guess who wants to buy the easily beatable RPI 160 team that is going to win the MEAC? Everybody. And a lot of everybody's have more money than MVC schools.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 14th, 2017, 9:45 am

Cdizzle wrote:The problem with removing cupcakes is that it costs money. Guess who wants to buy the easily beatable RPI 160 team that is going to win the MEAC? Everybody. And a lot of everybody's have more money than MVC schools.

If they are RPI 160 they are not a cupcake.

I was referencing 200+ teams that hurt your resume, especially with a bad loss very early in the season, regardless of conference affiliation. Oregon St. last year would even fit into this mold.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » April 14th, 2017, 9:52 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:The problem with removing cupcakes is that it costs money. Guess who wants to buy the easily beatable RPI 160 team that is going to win the MEAC? Everybody. And a lot of everybody's have more money than MVC schools.

If they are RPI 160 they are not a cupcake.

I was referencing 200+ teams that hurt your resume, especially with a bad loss very early in the season, regardless of conference affiliation. Oregon St. last year would even fit into this mold.

I agree, perhaps my post was poorly worded. But to remove the cupcake, you have to pay for the non-cupcake, which the market deems to be much more expensive. It's a money problem (well, to be fair, it's a motivation/job security problem at a couple schools).
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Svoboda » April 14th, 2017, 10:05 am

Didn't Elgin extend the current deal back in 2015 so we're basically locked in until 2024?
Sycamore Pride - http://www.sycamorepride.com
MVC News & Social Media Aggregator - https://www.mvctalk.com
Svoboda
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball