Football and MVC Expnsion

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MOST » April 14th, 2017, 9:49 am

I am putting this football question on the basketball page because football is a major point in the discussions on who to add to the MVC. HAS ANY PERSON IN A MVC OR CANDIDATE UNIVERSITY POSITION OF AUTHORITY: A PRESIDENT, an AD, FB COACH, ETC ISSUED ANY KIND OF STATEMENT(ORAL, WRITTEN, SIMPLE REMARK OR SUGGESTION) THAT HIS/HER SCHOOL ACTIVELY WANTS TO SWITCH TO FBS, or thinks FBS is their school's 5 to 10 year future.

Seems that a few FBS hard head fans at some of the MVC schools are interrupting/dominating discussions on the who, when and why to add to the MVC, or that several current MVC schools should convert to FBS.

Please," no Rumors, my best friend said, unidentified source, a bird told me, etc." Just the facts!
MOST
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Football and MVC Expnsion

Postby Svoboda » April 14th, 2017, 10:10 am

Of the MVC hoops teams that also play in the MVFC, I don't believe a single one is in a financial position where they could afford to make the jump to FBS at the current time without some cuts.

I think a couple schools could make it work in the MAC if they cut their olympic/hoops budgets a bit to offset the football expense difference. Most of the MAC schools have budgets in the $20-35m range and UNI, SIU, MSU and ILSU all are in that neighborhood currently. The every two year attendance qualifier would be a hurdle, too but somehow the lower level MAC teams like EMU make it work.
Sycamore Pride - http://www.sycamorepride.com
MVC News & Social Media Aggregator - https://www.mvctalk.com
Svoboda
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby MOST » April 14th, 2017, 10:25 am

I think at this time "financial position" is irrelevant. The question is/do MVC or MVC candidate university "authorities" (decision makers) want now or in the next 5 to 10 years go to FBS.

YES or NO and who?
MOST
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MOST » April 14th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Not surprising that after 4 hours and 150 plus views there is not one reply that any one has heard or read of a senior MVC or MVC candidate university official expressing an intent or desire to convert to Bowl Series football or is soliciting invites to FBS conferences.

2 or 3 UNI FANs' speculations that UNI will/wants to the move MAC or Mountain West is just that: fan speculation. Same for Illinois State moving to the MAC. Don't think any SIU fan has broached the subject. Mo State has 2 or 3 hard cores just like UNI.

And yes I know "financial position" is always relevant (for all university operations--not just athletics---and academics always take precedence), but is a killer on discussions about expanding what is and has been for years primarily a basketball conference.

Team and schools have been cussed and discussed on this forum. Surprising how many folks love or hate so many others--especially UNI and MO State hate towards the Dakotas. Time to slow down and let the powers make a decision on who, what and when.
Last edited by MOST on April 14th, 2017, 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MOST
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MOST » April 14th, 2017, 1:51 pm

a----sorry. disregard--hit the post rather than the edit button
MOST
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball