Possible???

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Possible???

Postby All-MVC Fan » April 21st, 2017, 11:01 am

uniftw wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
uniftw wrote:A proposed 1.4 million dollar athletic slush fund is up for a vote.

Exit fee for the OVC with less than 24 months notice is 1 million

That 1.4 million number isn't a coincidence.

I would be shocked if Murray State is not an MVC member very soon.

I would bet we hear rumors of an official offer by next Wed/Thursday.

I would also bet on very similar discussions happening at Valpo right now but we don't know about it since a private school doesn't have to say anything.

I've believed all along that schools saying "no official offer has been made" means the MVC wants everything in a row and completed before an offer is extended. It limits the chance of a school publicly saying no. It allows for a quicker/smoother transition as well.

Absolutely. I'm sure that, at least with Murray, they are down to the "dotting of the i's and crossing of the t's." There would be no purpose for that meeting that just happened unless there have been talks...

Now the question becomes, "One, two, or three???" I think we know who One is going to be...
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby RacerJoeD » April 21st, 2017, 11:05 am

Here is a point to remember. Public schools (even in different states) operate differently as it comes to board meetings. Private schools may have already held the meeting, but in private.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby squirrel » April 21st, 2017, 11:12 am

All-MVC Fan wrote:Absolutely. I'm sure that, at least with Murray, they are down to the "dotting of the i's and crossing of the t's." There would be no purpose for that meeting that just happened unless there have been talks...

This wasn't a spontaneous Regents meeting. It was a regularly scheduled meeting, and with their fiscal year ending June 30, budget issues (of which this is a significant one) for the next year are in the final stages.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby All-MVC Fan » April 21st, 2017, 11:34 am

squirrel wrote:
All-MVC Fan wrote:Absolutely. I'm sure that, at least with Murray, they are down to the "dotting of the i's and crossing of the t's." There would be no purpose for that meeting that just happened unless there have been talks...

This wasn't a spontaneous Regents meeting. It was a regularly scheduled meeting, and with their fiscal year ending June 30, budget issues (of which this is a significant one) for the next year are in the final stages.

Thanks. I really was talking about Item #4 on the agenda...should have been more clear...
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 21st, 2017, 2:48 pm

Here's the summary of the meeting. Murray State has the funds to move to the MVC by saying they have a 1.4-million slush fund (to pay for the exit fee and entrance fee) and by increasing the athletic budget. Without officially saying it they've unofficially let it be known they want in and are lobbying for an invitation. It's up to the MVC now to decide if it's two way street.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Murraygrad05 » April 22nd, 2017, 9:58 pm

It's probably no coincidence also that they voted in a 5% tuition increase in the same meeting. Students will love that. :)

I believe that there may not have been an official offer made but there had to be at least some type of talk between the MVC and our AD. Our local reporter here has had a valley watch hashtag on his twitter (@akajeffbidwell if you feel like looking, he also has a very good daily sports talk show on 99.5 The Fan website) for a week I believe and everyday would say the same thing that "AD Ward says no invite has been offered". But why would the MVC present an official offer until we knew we could really exit first? So my fingers are crossed that we are in the finalization stage of this process and as we have been told it took 40 days to add Loyola and we are only at 15 right now.

I'm just relieved that our BOR see potential in the move and we have a President that is a real pusher for athletics as well as academics.
Murraygrad05
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball