I'm just gonna drop this here

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: I'm just gonna drop this here

Postby uniftw » April 22nd, 2017, 12:41 pm

From the Valpo message board regarding UWMs admin issues

[quote author=a3uge link=topic=1386.msg83794#msg83794 date=1492841307]
UWM has finished inside the top 100 RPI only once in the past 10 years - that was a 94 RPI to finish in 2011. They've been outside of the top 100 kpom rankings every year since their 2006 tournament appearance. They've had 4 200+ RPI finishes since then, with a 310 finish scattered in there. They have an average RPI of 174.7 over the past 10 years and an average RPI of 217.4 over the past 5 years.

For reference, Valpo has had 7 top 100 RPI finishes in the past 10 years, and only 1 season outside the top 200. They have a 10 year average of 113 RPI and a 5 year average of 84.2.

Then take Murray State - 3 top 100 RPI finishes with 1 200+ RPI finish, and a ten year average of 118.1 and a 5 year average of 133.2.

UWM just hasn't had any sustainable success. Touting a practice facility that could maybe possibly exist in the future, and an arena everyone wanted to tear down a few years ago isn't a good enough selling point. "Hey trust us, it's not really our fault" isn't a good argument.

That program has really had a decade of mismanagement and poor play, from the APR ban, to the Klotsche Center debacle, to the coaching transition. It's really spanned multiple athletic directors, chancellors, and state governors. For they sake of the Horizon, I hope all of Jimmy's promises start to come true, but I'll believe it when I see it.
[/quote]
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby PantherU » April 22nd, 2017, 1:20 pm

uniftw wrote:From the Valpo message board regarding UWMs admin issues

[quote author=a3uge link=topic=1386.msg83794#msg83794 date=1492841307]
UWM has finished inside the top 100 RPI only once in the past 10 years - that was a 94 RPI to finish in 2011. They've been outside of the top 100 kpom rankings every year since their 2006 tournament appearance. They've had 4 200+ RPI finishes since then, with a 310 finish scattered in there. They have an average RPI of 174.7 over the past 10 years and an average RPI of 217.4 over the past 5 years.

For reference, Valpo has had 7 top 100 RPI finishes in the past 10 years, and only 1 season outside the top 200. They have a 10 year average of 113 RPI and a 5 year average of 84.2.

Then take Murray State - 3 top 100 RPI finishes with 1 200+ RPI finish, and a ten year average of 118.1 and a 5 year average of 133.2.

UWM just hasn't had any sustainable success. Touting a practice facility that could maybe possibly exist in the future, and an arena everyone wanted to tear down a few years ago isn't a good enough selling point. "Hey trust us, it's not really our fault" isn't a good argument.

That program has really had a decade of mismanagement and poor play, from the APR ban, to the Klotsche Center debacle, to the coaching transition. It's really spanned multiple athletic directors, chancellors, and state governors. For they sake of the Horizon, I hope all of Jimmy's promises start to come true, but I'll believe it when I see it.
[/quote]

Those are all fair points. I'm not going to act like our program is perfect, nor am I going to act like our program would go first in line ahead of Valpo and Murray State. If I'm Doug Elgin, Milwaukee's the #12 school. That's fine by me.

Belmont's not coming along. Who is your 12th team that fits better than us? UMKC, where they don't just lack "sustainable success" but success period? Omaha, where they're as likely to sink extra money into their hockey program as their basketball team? Oral Roberts, where the only school remotely close to them is Missouri State?

This is what I do know: it's a hell of a lot easier to recruit better players in the MVC. It's a hell of a lot easier to get fans excited about the program in the MVC. It's a hell of a lot easier to build a schedule in the MVC. And we're the best fit as that 12th school.

We're in transition as a program. We got ourselves plenty bloody in the last year, but we're putting it behind us. The team's run to within a couple possessions of the NCAA Tournament inspired our fans, but it was too late for them to hit the turnstiles this season.

The curve is much better if we get into the MVC. I think we'll make you guys proud.
PantherU
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby uniftw » April 22nd, 2017, 1:42 pm

You keep talking like it's a one year deal where there's been issues. It sure looks like it's a decade, or more, of issues.

Outside of helping with travel partners for women's sports, there's no reason to add another mouth to feed without significant reason to believe that 12th mouth is actually going to contribute
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rogers101 » April 22nd, 2017, 1:52 pm

I think getting to 11 is fine. Let's see how some of these teams shape up over the next couple of seasons. There shouldn't be a rush to get to 12. We need to add quality, not quantity.
Rogers101
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby TOPSTRAIGHT » April 22nd, 2017, 3:06 pm

MVC could be trying to "flush out" a preferred candidate that is being coy or may not have a consensus on #12.That last opening could look pretty appealing in a year or two.Also--things can change and being at 11 OR 10 gives you more flexibility.
TOPSTRAIGHT
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 22nd, 2017, 3:41 pm

It's really no secret the preference list of the MVC.

1. St. Louis
2. Belmont
3. Murray State
4. Valparaiso
5. Everyone else, but probably leaning Milwaukee due to geographical reasons.

The only question is can they land the one or two to go with Murray State and Valpo? If they can they just might be able to convince the other top team of their choosing to also come along leaving out Valpo. The consensus is that they will not be able to land St. Louis or Belmont so the decision is stay at 10 or sift through the cluster f*** that is "everyone else"? I say stay at 10 if that's the case. Either way, Murray State is in. Hell, add all five and go to 14, I don't really care. There is no home run addition so it doesn't matter.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 22nd, 2017, 4:45 pm

Does anyone find it odd just how quiet the MVC has been? They are not showing their cards at all which is a bit weird. I wonder why?
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 22nd, 2017, 5:12 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Does anyone find it odd just how quiet the MVC has been? They are not showing their cards at all which is a bit weird. I wonder why?

Not odd at all.

Look how the B12 released lists, made schools parade themselves like a beauty pageant and gen added no one? Remember how bad they looked in the media for it? Remember how embarrassing it was for some of the schools the way they whores themselves out?

All about avoiding that.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 22nd, 2017, 5:18 pm

I see your point but last time there was more than this.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » April 22nd, 2017, 5:21 pm

I like a 12 team league with Murray, Valpo and Milwaukee a lot, assuming Belmont and SLU are out. I'd like to add UIC as #13, but you can't stop at 13 and I see a big drop off after them. I really wish UMKC had more to offer, and Denver wasn't so far (and wasn't a hockey school).
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball