4 MVC visits ?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 4 MVC visits ?

Postby valleydays » April 30th, 2017, 7:49 pm

Lakesbison wrote:So what other visits are happening this week?

I would hope the visits are over and a decision is made this week.
valleydays
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bjhracer » May 1st, 2017, 10:02 pm

No news is good news.. Hope we hear something soon.
Bjhracer
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Red » May 2nd, 2017, 6:52 am

Bjhracer wrote:No news is good news.. Hope we hear something soon.

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything. Presidents are playing this pretty close to the vest.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Breds20 » May 2nd, 2017, 7:36 am

From a source with the university. Murray St. has not heard anything from MVC since the visit. Was told it would probably be a week from today before we know anything.
Breds20
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby MidWestMidMajor » May 2nd, 2017, 8:06 am

FWIW as we wait for word from St. Louis:

Tom Shatel, the Dean of Omaha sportswriters, offers his thoughts today on the MVC and UNO:

"The majority of Valley schools are “basketball” schools that make the sport a top priority. UNO is not a basketball school. UNO has a basketball program. Mav basketball is improving every year. But UNO basketball does not make the Valley better. And after losing Wichita State and Creighton, the Valley needs immediate help...Remember: UNO’s top priority is hockey and the Mavs play in a big-time league with considerable resources spent on college hockey."

In the article is an interesting take by Jim Connell of the Springfield (Mo.) News-Leader:
“UNO feels like it would be the equivalent of a high school senior’s “safety school” — a backup plan for a low-achieving student. That said, it’s markedly better than a Dakota school or Missouri-Kansas City, but nothing to get excited about.”

(*note: LakesBison, don't get mad at me. I'm not the one who said it!)

At Drakenation, one of the posters thought that the MVC's visits to UN-Omaha and UW-Milw were designed to "nudge along" decisions by Murray and Valpo. That idea makes sense to me- a version of the 'Take Away close': "You better decide to buy this house soon; it might not be on the market next week!".

Link to Shatel's article: http://www.omaha.com/sports/shatel-swim ... 6ec8f.html

His comments on the MVC start about half-way down.
MidWestMidMajor
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 2nd, 2017, 8:27 am

I imagine they'll take all this week to make a decision. Notify the universities next Monday and start making announcements on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball