4 MVC visits ?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 4 MVC visits ?

Postby RacerJoeD » April 25th, 2017, 7:43 pm

Those have already been approved by the BOR. increases of $2M-4M over the next couple years. Still easier than capital programs. Especially since we haven't even factored in entrance fee waivers, season ticket price increases, increased attendance, or increase payment for road games that should come for MVc schools over OVC schools. Money wise, we are good. Heck, we haven't even called on our corporate and large donors yet.

The 2% can't be permanent as there is a separate board approves the tuition increases across the state.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Redhawk » April 25th, 2017, 8:42 pm

RacerJoeD wrote:That's a pretty easy fix. But it will be a shame. It's a really nice spot and students usually bring a blanket to watch the games. Here is video of last year's OVC championship. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw5QKhZfXkY

As for updates in general, word is a new video board and scoreboard at the CFSB is on the way.

Thanks for the feedback. My question about the soccer seating is irrelevant to Valley admittance...
just something that interested me. You are correct that the berm looks great when full of fans.

As stated before your sports facilities meet or exceed what is expected in the Valley!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby siudawgs » April 25th, 2017, 8:55 pm

Wish it was going to be the Valpo, Murray, Belmont trifecta. Shame on Belmont for being content with the OVC, especially a Murray-less OVC.
If we go 12 with Murray, Valpo and someone else, I just hope it's a program that truly commits to investing in and prioritizing men's basketball. Kinda wish Northern Kentucky got more of a look. Not real excited about Omaha or Milwaukee, but I guess I could see Omaha, if they're serious about competing, as a nod to geographic balance and maybe throwing Missouri State a bone, travel-wise.
Last edited by siudawgs on April 25th, 2017, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 25th, 2017, 9:02 pm

siudawgs wrote:Wish it was going to be the Valpo, Murray, Belmont trifecta. Shame on Belmont for being content with the OVC, especially a Murray-less MVC.
If we go 12 with Murray, Valpo and someone else, I just hope it's a program that truly commits to investing in and prioritizing men's basketball. Kinda wish Northern Kentucky got more of a look. Not real excited about Omaha or Milwaukee, but I guess I could see Omaha, if they're serious about competing, as a nod to geographic balance and maybe throwing Missouri State a bone, travel-wise.

Omaha to Springfield, MO is 356 miles. Not sure how that's a bone. Bloomington, IL to Springfield, MO is 377 miles for comparison.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » April 25th, 2017, 9:14 pm

If you break down the candidates behind Belmont/Murray/Valpo, it's more barren than you think.

Within the footprint, you have: Milwaukee......UIC, WIU, EIU, SEMO, IUPUI, IPFW, and that's about it. Kind of a disaster. Everyone else represents an expansion of the footprint (either a modest one or a big one).

Among the candidates who represent a modest expansion of the footprint:
- Wright St has the best attendance
- Omaha and NKU are both versions of upside plays - both relatively new to D1, both have the capability to be more with their resources, they just haven't done it yet. MVC might want them to show their ceiling before they take the risk. Both are at different levels of transition, with Omaha more established, but NKU peaking the highest so far
- Best market available...probably Oakland (Detroit), but I don't sense that's a big deal. Plus they might be too far out, no natural rivals for them
- Second best market is UMKC, but they have no basketball pulse. Everyone above has some kind of basketball pulse. Also, they moved from the Summit to the WAC. Automatic disqualifier
- UALR isn't completely insane, but their basketball program needs to be better in order for them to be considered
- I'm ruling out the likes of Detroit Mercy and Green Bay for obvious reasons

I can't find a magic bullet for any of these teams to be the obvious choice for #12.

Among serious geographic outliers...I have a feeling the MVC will consider it to be disqualifying, but let's look:
- North Dakota St - they might be the best basketball product left on the board. But would they add NDSU without SDSU? Does the MVC want 13 or 14? In a world where Valpo and Murray rejected the MVC, you could add the XDSUs, but they'll have to settle for being 3rd best in a 2 horse race
- SDU, SDSU, NDU - only if NDSU someday becomes a must add, then we can pick a partner for them
- Denver needs to actually do something on the basketball court with their resources
- UT-Arlington would be perfect if we could just relocate that city a few hundred miles north
- God, what happened to Oral Bob as of late?
- Air Force gets a courtesy mention, just because someday a football-only AAC spot is possible and they'll need another home
- Why are we not talking to New Mexico St?
- Obvious nos: Youngstown, Cleveland St, Austin Peay
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby siudawgs » April 25th, 2017, 9:15 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:If you break down the candidates behind Belmont/Murray/Valpo, it's more barren than you think.

Within the footprint, you have: Milwaukee......UIC, WIU, EIU, SEMO, IUPUI, IPFW, and that's about it. Kind of a disaster. Everyone else represents an expansion of the footprint (either a modest one or a big one).

Among the candidates who represent a modest expansion of the footprint:
- Wright St has the best attendance
- Omaha and NKU are both versions of upside plays - both relatively new to D1, both have the capability to be more with their resources, they just haven't done it yet. MVC might want them to show their ceiling before they take the risk. Both are at different levels of transition, with Omaha more established, but NKU peaking the highest so far
- Best market available...probably Oakland (Detroit), but I don't sense that's a big deal. Plus they might be too far out, no natural rivals for them
- Second best market is UMKC, but they have no basketball pulse. Everyone above has some kind of basketball pulse. Also, they moved from the Summit to the WAC. Automatic disqualifier
- UALR isn't completely insane, but their basketball program needs to be better in order for them to be considered
- I'm ruling out the likes of Detroit Mercy and Green Bay for obvious reasons

I can't find a magic bullet for any of these teams to be the obvious choice for #12.

Among serious geographic outliers...I have a feeling the MVC will consider it to be disqualifying, but let's look:
- North Dakota St - they might be the best basketball product left on the board. But would they add NDSU without SDSU? Does the MVC want 13 or 14? In a world where Valpo and Murray rejected the MVC, you could add the XDSUs, but they'll have to settle for being 3rd best in a 2 horse race
- SDU, SDSU, NDU - only if NDSU someday becomes a must add, then we can pick a partner for them
- Denver needs to actually do something on the basketball court with their resources
- UT-Arlington would be perfect if we could just relocate that city a few hundred miles north
- God, what happened to Oral Bob as of late?
- Air Force gets a courtesy mention, just because someday a football-only AAC spot is possible and they'll need another home
- Why are we not talking to New Mexico St?
- Obvious nos: Youngstown, Cleveland St, Austin Peay
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
siudawgs wrote:Wish it was going to be the Valpo, Murray, Belmont trifecta. Shame on Belmont for being content with the OVC, especially a Murray-less MVC.

Omaha to Springfield, MO is 356 miles. Not sure how that's a bone. Bloomington, IL to Springfield, MO is 377 miles for comparison.

Too bad the options close-sh to Missouri State (Oral Roberts, UMKC) are so brutal. I worry that their outlier location makes them itchier to consider other options at some point.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Lakesbison » April 25th, 2017, 9:36 pm

what's Murray st Omaha milwaukee academics like? or doesnt that matter. must curious
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mvfcfan » April 25th, 2017, 9:52 pm

I can't believe there are actually people on here that think Omaha is a good add. As much as I hated it when we added Loyola, Omaha would be so much worse and it's not even close. This is basically as bad as us adding Kansas University at Wichita (made up of course). And let's also pretend this KU-Wichita went D1 4 years ago too. Hopefully you all get my point. Adding a team in a city that is second tier to one of our (very recent) former members is just dumb. Really if we're willing to add Omaha then we might as well look 130 miles north and add the Coyotes of South Dakota instead.

If we must choose between Milwaukee and Omaha, then please for the love of God let us take Milwaukee. Never count out Doug Elgin to totally screw things up though. I really wish we would just add Valpo and Murray State, have a 20 game schedule, and be done with it.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby RacerJoeD » April 25th, 2017, 9:56 pm

http://msublueandgold.org/2016/09/murra ... tive-year/

Named by US News and World Report as a top regional university for 26 straight years.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherU » April 25th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Lakesbison wrote:what's Murray st Omaha milwaukee academics like? or doesnt that matter. must curious

Murray State is a solid regional university. Omaha and Milwaukee are both national universities, but are in the "rank not published" portion of US News and World Report. That means they're identified as moving beyond "regional" to national schools, but there's not enough to separate them above the rest of the schools that make them the country's 310 "best" schools.

What might separate them, at least a little bit, is their research ranking according to the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Omaha is an R3 school, which would put them in line with Indiana State and behind R2 schools Illinois State, Loyola and SIU. Milwaukee is an R1 school. There are no MVC schools at the R1 level.

The list of R1 schools is almost entirely made up of high-majors and private schools near or at Ivy League level. Your list of R1 institutions in MVC states:

Illinois
Illinois
UIC
Northwestern
Chicago

Iowa
Iowa State
Iowa

Indiana
Indiana
Purdue
Notre Dame

Missouri
Mizzou
Washington University of St. Louis

I do want to make sure I mention that UT-Arlington, a school that's been mentioned here as an outside-the-footprint candidate for expansion, is also an R1 institution.
PantherU
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball