4 MVC visits ?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 4 MVC visits ?

Postby TheAsianSensation » April 26th, 2017, 4:31 pm

SMUfan wrote:I keep seeing all the negatives on UWM, UMKC, and UNO.

What are the positives and negatives on UALR and SEMO?

(Still wouldn't give up on Belmont and NKU)

Positives for UALR is pretty decent attendance, proximity to MoSt maybe, expansion southward, and you know basketball will be their focus

Negatives: they haven't really peaked high enough in basketball...a bit too mediocre, and the footprint would expand unnaturally

Positives for SEMO:
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby RacerJoeD » April 26th, 2017, 4:45 pm

:+1:
For the dose of reality regarding SEMO
For the Arrested Development reference....

Taste the happy, Michael
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherU » April 26th, 2017, 6:52 pm

RacerJoeD wrote::+1:
For the dose of reality regarding SEMO
For the Arrested Development reference....

Taste the happy, Michael

Right? A+ reference to Arrested Development.

BTW, anyone have an update on Operation Hot Mother?
PantherU
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby RacerJoeD » April 26th, 2017, 7:27 pm

Annyong
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby JBoss8393 » April 27th, 2017, 6:18 am

I agree with SMU, don't give up on Belmont. If you remember correctly, just a few months ago Wichita State's AD said they were happy in the Valley (BS). You have to say those things until are the details are worked out.

The question is, will the MVC take two from the Ohio Valley or from the Horizon League. Valpo and Murray State I think are done deals. It's now "Who's No. 3."

I don't see UNO or any of the Dakota schools getting an invite. Reconstituting the old North Central Conference is not going to happen. If they Dakotas want to do that, they should have stayed together all through the D1 transition process. I know this leaves MoState on the western edge of the conference but where are they going to go or why would they go anywhere else.

I think while they visited Milwaukee and UNO, it's the places not being mentioned that are interesting. I think the real sleeper is Oakland. Greg Kampe has the program on a great track. They consistently play Michigan State and now with the new Little Ceasars Arena deal with Detroit and Michigan, they are gaining even more exposure. They've made the NCAA tournament are consistently at the top of the Horizon. So either grab the top two from the Horizon or the OVC, and one from the other.

MTW
JBoss8393
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby RacerJoeD » April 27th, 2017, 6:43 am

Whoa there boss, don't be such an Anne hog.....

I think the biggest issue here is 7 of 9.
7 of 9 school reps have to approve any expansion of the conference.
Each nominee has to get 7 of 9 votes. Are there any school reps that are likely to pull a "Crazy Ivan" and change course unexpectedly?
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Lakesbison » April 27th, 2017, 6:52 am

RacerJoeD wrote:Whoa there boss, don't be such an Anne hog.....

I think the biggest issue here is 7 of 9.
7 of 9 school reps have to approve any expansion of the conference.
Each nominee has to get 7 of 9 votes. Are there any school reps that are likely to pull a "Crazy Ivan" and change course unexpectedly?

7 of 9 for approval pretty much allows the private schools to band together & veto ANY public school. there is the rub
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Mikovio » April 27th, 2017, 7:19 am

I don't want them to veto any public school. Just ones that aren't basketball-first.

Hoping for Belmont, Murray, Valpo

or

Murray, Valpo, UW-M.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » April 27th, 2017, 9:45 am

Perhaps we should get ourselves familiar with our potential conferencemate's board
http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » April 27th, 2017, 10:17 am

Here is my prediction for this wave of conference realignment.

The MVC adds Murray St, Valpo, and Milwaukee to make a 12 team league.

The Horizon League in response adds IUPUI and IPFW to go back to 10 teams. The two IUP-- schools fit in the Horizon League better geographically. I have no idea why those two schools are even in the Summit League.

The Summit League adds UMKC and remains at 8 members (they already added N Dakota). The Summit League is better for UMKC geographically. The WAC is a mess (Chicago St might be dropping sports, NM ST might leave eventually, teams everywhere) and I have no idea why UMKC left the Summit League for that in the first place. The WAC is like the D1 reject conference where if you literally have no place to go, you go there so you can get an auto bid to the NCAAs.

The Ohio Valley might try to add someone, but they might not either. Lipscomb is located in Nashville and is currently in the A-SUN. I could see them maybe going to the OVC. The only downside is that they don't have football, but the OVC will still have eight teams for football no matter what they do.

The Atlantic Sun is adding North Alabama in 2018, so they are set and they really wouldn't need to add anyone else. They would still have 8 teams even without Lipscomb.

The WAC is adding California Baptist so they would also still be at 8 even without UMKC.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball