Want to spend $100 to watch a basketball game?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Want to spend $100 to watch a basketball game?

Postby Jet915 » December 9th, 2010, 11:20 am

Why is this not being played at Koch? I can understand if it's a high major powerhouse or something but Tulsa?
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Snapshot9 » December 10th, 2010, 7:55 am

Unfornately, Tulsa is one of the best home Non-con games we have, and they used to be a rival.

That said, I expect the 'experiment' at IBA to be a flop, crowd-wise. Rectangle shaped arenas just don't have the atmosphere that a 'round' house does (Koch arena).
Snapshot9
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby RoyalShock » December 10th, 2010, 8:00 am

Jet915 wrote:Why is this not being played at Koch? I can understand if it's a high major powerhouse or something but Tulsa?

1. Tulsa was our best home non-con opponent. Conference games are not moving from Koch.

2. If WSU is to ever host an NCAA regional, they need to play there.

3. Fans were clamoring for it. (Be careful what you wish for.)
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Snaggletooth » December 10th, 2010, 11:41 am

RoyalShock wrote:3. Fans were clamoring for it. (Be careful what you wish for.)

I think this is an overstatement. There seemed to be just as many who were against it (and for good reason as we see now).
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jayball » December 10th, 2010, 12:15 pm

I don't think it is necessarily a bad idea to play a game at the new joint, but why wouldn't you start with your season ticket holders before going to the general public or special sponsors?

Fitting a roundhouse in an IntrustBox wouldn't be exact science but don't you give the people that help pay your bills every year the first shot and first choice pof seats? Do they stand to make a signifcantly bigger amount of money doing it this way?

Is the game a sellout?
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 10th, 2010, 3:53 pm

Snapshot9 wrote:Unfornately, Tulsa is one of the best home Non-con games we have, and they used to be a rival.

That said, I expect the 'experiment' at IBA to be a flop, crowd-wise. Rectangle shaped arenas just don't have the atmosphere that a 'round' house does (Koch arena).

So, if it is a flop, do they never do it again?

If WSU never does it again, does that mean there is zero chance of hosting NCAA games?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » December 10th, 2010, 4:47 pm

If it's a flop, they'll likely just not include it in the season ticket package. Then they can just let people fend for themselves instead of dealing with all of the b*tching. Then the big donors will have a real reason to b*tch when they don't get themselves out of bed for the on-sale.

Trust me, Wichita isn't gonna abandon an NCAA bid based on this. It has already been stated that our AD wants one game a year at IBA.

And jayball, it's getting close. The only remaining seats are on both ends behind the baskets in the upper level, about halfway up or so. I'd guestimate about 12-13,000 seats are accounted for at this time.
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » December 10th, 2010, 9:55 pm

WSUbballer wrote:If it's a flop, they'll likely just not include it in the season ticket package. Then they can just let people fend for themselves instead of dealing with all of the b*tching. Then the big donors will have a real reason to b*tch when they don't get themselves out of bed for the on-sale.

I doubt that. WSU can't afford to cut one game out of their package.

Trust me, Wichita isn't gonna abandon an NCAA bid based on this. It has already been stated that our AD wants one game a year at IBA.

If there is enough people not happy things may change - whether the university actually takes care of their fans next time or decide that IBA is not worth the trouble, that remains to be seen. Now if the IBA experience turns out to be better experience regardless of what the perceived "screwing" of the fans then this will all die down.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » December 11th, 2010, 11:04 am

Evidently members of the "Intrust Bank Gold Club" (or something like that) are guaranteed to get the choice seats at the arena for all events. That knocked out 4 lower-bowl sections. That's an area where WSU needs to negotiate a bit better.

It's been said that when tickets first went on sale to the public, there were 3 pricing tiers $26, $56, and $102. The $102 tickets sold out almost immediately.

Another situation with the arena is that local government and the management company split profits to a point. After that, the management company gets all the profits. It appears that the management company had control of ticket allocations and used that to maximize their profit from WSU moving a game there.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball