Public vs Private - The Competitive Imbalance

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Public vs Private - The Competitive Imbalance

Postby tribecalledquest » May 4th, 2017, 8:32 am

BEARZ77 wrote:But back to the earlier points, the privates do need to assert more of a presence. Evansville is supposed to be a MBB school, Bradley is[ has been] a MBB school. Valpo [if added] is a MBB school. Drake needs to be better. For one thing, especially given those schools aren't saddled with either state cutbacks in funding or the folly of FCS Football, they should be able to recognize the one sport they need to channel resources to is MBB nd have some ability to do so. JMHO

But the lack of success has nothing to do with not spending money. That seems to be a coorelation that just isn't true. Bradley spends more than anyone in the league on MBB. Yes, the ROI has been horrendous and needs to improve. But it's not because the effort isn't there because being a "private" holds them back.

Bradley has been to the NCAA Tournament three times in men's soccer since 2010 and won a game in 2013. Does anyone outside of Bradley care? No. But to act like an Indiana State softball appearance means more to the league than a Bradley soccer appearance is silly.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby squirrel » May 4th, 2017, 8:34 am

I would argue replacing a basketball coach with a stock broker shows an alarming lack of effort. At least that is in our rear view mirror.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » May 4th, 2017, 8:34 am

squirrel wrote:I would argue replacing a basketball coach with a stock broker shows an alarming lack of effort. At least that is in our rear view mirror.

Right. But that was before the magical 2010 cutoff that Todd Golden used as his baseline.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » May 4th, 2017, 8:48 am

UEACES80 wrote:
Redhawk wrote:Basketball is all that matters!

He are each teams avg. finish in the MVC Conference standings since Loyola was added:

Illinois State - 2.5
Northern IA - 3
Indiana State- 5
Southern IL - 5
Evansville - 5.75
Missouri St - 6
Loyola - 7.25
Bradley - 8
Drake - 8.5

I have nothing against the Privates...but they have been bringing down the conference lately!
Good news is Loyola is recruiting strong, Wardle seems to be on the right track at
Bradley and Drake made a good coaching hire. Evansville....?

Evansville ? - I wasn't a math major (LOL) but I think UE is the highest average finish of the privates. Should we do better - yes. Do we need look for ways to improve including a coaching change - yes (all schools should strive to improve).

Since there seems to be some angst towards to the Privates - I wonder if any of the Public's have as stringent requirements for admission that the Privates have?

Wasn't trying to knock Evansville with the question mark...I just don't know what's going on there.
They have essentially a lame duck coach and are not recruiting at the level of other Privates: Bradley,
Loyola and Valpo. From my view point things don't look to promising compared with the rest of the Valley.
Last edited by Redhawk on May 4th, 2017, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » May 4th, 2017, 9:04 am

One of the dumbest articles I've read.

No one gives a f*** about anything but men's hoops.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mule » May 4th, 2017, 9:25 am

[quote="BirdsEyeView"]Great article from the ISUb writer. I had no idea how bad private schools have been lately in this conference in many sports...

http://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_co ... 028e6.html

I find the article quite flawed, as any data can be. Why begin in 2010? Why the 4 sports that the remaining 9 schools participate in? Very selective in my view.
For example, let me skew the numbers in favor of the private schools. In my mind (feel free to argue your points) the 3 major MVC sports for men are basketball, baseball, and soccer. (I will leave out football as that is a whole other beast). Of those 3 sports, all schools participate in basketball. In baseball, Drake, Loyola, & UNI do not field teams. In soccer, ISUr, ISUb, Bradley, UNI, & SIU do not field teams.
For the women's sports it is basketball, softball, & soccer. Again all schools participate in basketball and also softball. In soccer, SIU and Bradley do not field teams.
If you add soon departed WSU, it does not participate in either men or women soccer.
To sum up 6 of the 9 non participants in men's sports are public schools and 2 of the 3 non participants in women's sports are public schools.
Any data can be skewed to fit one's agenda.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby uniftw » May 4th, 2017, 9:25 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:One of the dumbest articles I've read.

Where the privates suck...just as every other sport.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » May 4th, 2017, 9:30 am

uniftw wrote:

Yeah...only the privates have stunk. SIU, Indiana State, and Missouri State have been wracking up league titles and NCAA appearances.

And they don't "suck" in every other sport. That's ridiculous. Drake has the best WBB program in the league currently.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » May 4th, 2017, 9:32 am

uniftw wrote:

...we're well aware from the 18 paragraph diatribes on the Valpo board, PantherFever.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mule » May 4th, 2017, 9:33 am

Redhawk wrote:
Wasn't trying to knock Evansville with the question mark...I just don't know what's going on there.
They have essentially a lame duck coach and are not recruiting at the level of other Privates: Bradley,
Loyola and Valpo. From my view point things don't look to promising compared with the rest of the Valley.

Sounds to me that you are making two assumptions about the Evansville program that you know nothing about.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball