Public vs Private - The Competitive Imbalance

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Public vs Private - The Competitive Imbalance

Postby uniftw » May 4th, 2017, 3:09 pm

IllinoisState wrote:You're right about Bradley if you ignore 2005-2009 and a few other years thrown in.

2004-2005 - 13-15

2005-2006 - 22-11 (Yep, the S16 team had just 20 wins going into the NCAA tournament. I believe they were the 6 seed in the conference tournament that year. On Feb 8th they were 13-9, they just happened to get red hot late, winning the last 5 conference games (3 of them at home) and lost in the conference tournament title game ending a 7 game in streak.

2006-2007 - 22-13

2007-2008 - 21-17 - were 17-15 after a first round conference tournament loss. 5th place in the MVC. Picked up 4 more wins in the CBI...YAY CBI!!!!!

2008-2009 - 18-14 after the conference tournament. Picked up 3 more wins in the CIT...YAY CIT!!!!

Again, I want Bradley to be good. They can lay claim to being, at least average, a whole lot more than a couple other schools (including publics).
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby IllinoisState » May 4th, 2017, 8:10 pm

uniftw wrote:
IllinoisState wrote:You're right about Bradley if you ignore 2005-2009 and a few other years thrown in.

2004-2005 - 13-15

2005-2006 - 22-11 (Yep, the S16 team had just 20 wins going into the NCAA tournament. I believe they were the 6 seed in the conference tournament that year. On Feb 8th they were 13-9, they just happened to get red hot late, winning the last 5 conference games (3 of them at home) and lost in the conference tournament title game ending a 7 game in streak.

2006-2007 - 22-13

2007-2008 - 21-17 - were 17-15 after a first round conference tournament loss. 5th place in the MVC. Picked up 4 more wins in the CBI...YAY CBI!!!!!

2008-2009 - 18-14 after the conference tournament. Picked up 3 more wins in the CIT...YAY CIT!!!!

Again, I want Bradley to be good. They can lay claim to being, at least average, a whole lot more than a couple other schools (including publics).

Your history book is a bit off.

2008-09 21-15
2007-08 21-17
2006-07 22-13
2005-06 22-11
Last edited by IllinoisState on May 4th, 2017, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Mikovio » May 4th, 2017, 8:49 pm

The 2006 BU team got off to a slow start because O'Bryant and Franklin were suspended into December. It almost derailed what turned out to be a memorable season. And they were the 5 seed, but only a couple games back of WSU. Obviously, losing an emerging POB to the NBA Draft after that cost the 2007 team a repeat Dance card. They still had about a 40 RPI but were a ways off the bubble. But yeah altogether it's been rough.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvfcfan » May 5th, 2017, 10:03 am

Sometimes I wonder if the publics should kick the privates to the curb and try to get other publics with FCS football to join us. I know many will probably think this is a bad idea, but the MVC just doesn't have a common thinking. Here's my 10 team conference I created with teams from Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Kentucky.

Illinois State
Western Illinois
Eastern Illinois
Southern Illinois
Northern Iowa
Missouri State
SE Missouri State
Indiana State
Murray State
Eastern Kentucky

It's far from perfect, and I'm not really sure I would support this idea, but it's just a thought.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » May 5th, 2017, 10:15 am

mvfcfan wrote:Sometimes I wonder if the publics should kick the privates to the curb and try to get other publics with FCS football to join us. I know many will probably think this is a bad idea, but the MVC just doesn't have a common thinking. Here's my 10 team conference I created with teams from Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Kentucky.

Illinois State
Western Illinois
Eastern Illinois
Southern Illinois
Northern Iowa
Missouri State
SE Missouri State
Indiana State
Murray State
Eastern Kentucky

It's far from perfect, and I'm not really sure I would support this idea, but it's just a thought.

I wonder if this is a future direction that would benefit both groups. WSU was kind of a problem in that model (or a bridge between the two groups) as they were a relevant public but also had no football.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » May 5th, 2017, 10:53 am

mvfcfan wrote:Sometimes I wonder if the publics should kick the privates to the curb and try to get other publics with FCS football to join us. I know many will probably think this is a bad idea, but the MVC just doesn't have a common thinking. Here's my 10 team conference I created with teams from Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Kentucky.

Illinois State
Western Illinois
Eastern Illinois
Southern Illinois
Northern Iowa
Missouri State
SE Missouri State
Indiana State
Murray State
Eastern Kentucky

That would leave Bradley, Drake, Evansville, Loyola to scramble and attempt to add Belmont, Detroit Mercy, ORU and Valpo to get to eight or look to find other homes in A-10, Horizon or Summit.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby IllinoisState » May 5th, 2017, 11:24 am

Illinois State
Western Illinois
Eastern Illinois
Southern Illinois
Northern Iowa
Missouri State
SE Missouri State
Indiana State
Murray State
Eastern Kentucky

I would not support this at all.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UEACES80 » May 5th, 2017, 11:56 am

IllinoisState wrote:

Illinois State
Western Illinois
Eastern Illinois
Southern Illinois
Northern Iowa
Missouri State
SE Missouri State
Indiana State
Murray State
Eastern Kentucky

I agree it weakens both groups.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby IllinoisState » May 5th, 2017, 1:34 pm

UEACES80 wrote:
IllinoisState wrote:

Illinois State
Western Illinois
Eastern Illinois
Southern Illinois
Northern Iowa
Missouri State
SE Missouri State
Indiana State
Murray State
Eastern Kentucky

I agree it weakens both groups.

Yep. Right now I think most if not all of the schools in the MVC are in the best conference they can be in right now.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvfcfan » May 5th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Wow I'm an Indiana State fan and I thought things were bad, but I guess things haven't been so bad compared to other MVC schools. From 2009 til now we are the only current school in the MVC to win St Louis besides Northern Iowa. Going all the way back to 1999, UNI (5), INST (2), SIU (1), and Drake (1) are the only tournament champions of the remaining members. In Illinois State's defense they have made it to Sunday 5 times in that stretch as well, but haven't won the thing since 1998, when Dan Muller was actually playing.

Wichita State fans act like they're so much better than everyone, but they've only won St Louis twice in the past 29 years. For a school that is so much better than everyone in the Valley I would have expected that number to be a bit better than 2, but what do I know.

As far as public vs. private is concerned (only counting the current 9 members) public schools have won 18 tournament championships, while the privates have only won 3, since the tournament began. Two of those were by Bradley.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball