Public vs Private - The Competitive Imbalance

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Public vs Private - The Competitive Imbalance

Postby Red » May 4th, 2017, 9:39 am

Redhawk wrote:Wasn't trying to knock Evansville with the question mark...I just don't know what's going on there. They have essentially a lame duck coach and are not recruiting at the level of other Privates: Bradley, Loyola and Valpo. From my view point things don't look to promising compared with the rest of the Valley.

Aces were a whisker away from dancing two years ago when Washpun hit a buzzer beater to send UNI to the dance instead. Just saying.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Redhawk » May 4th, 2017, 9:53 am

mule wrote:
Redhawk wrote:
Wasn't trying to knock Evansville with the question mark...I just don't know what's going on there.
They have essentially a lame duck coach and are not recruiting at the level of other Privates: Bradley,
Loyola and Valpo. From my view point things don't look to promising compared with the rest of the Valley.

Sounds to me that you are making two assumptions about the Evansville program that you know nothing about.

I believe I stated that I didn't know about Evansville..hence the question mark. Maybe you could
enlighten me on what the near term holds for the Aces instead of getting so defensive about an innocuous comment!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » May 4th, 2017, 9:57 am

Red wrote:
Redhawk wrote:Wasn't trying to knock Evansville with the question mark...I just don't know what's going on there. They have essentially a lame duck coach and are not recruiting at the level of other Privates: Bradley, Loyola and Valpo. From my view point things don't look to promising compared with the rest of the Valley.

Aces were a whisker away from dancing two years ago when Washpun hit a buzzer beater to send UNI to the dance instead. Just saying.

But I guess was that a trend or just an aberration?

They had 7 years with Colt Ryan then DJ Balentine and Mock. They had 3 seasons with a winning record. Hard to call one year getting to the Arch Madness championship a trend that is repeatable for the current staff.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » May 4th, 2017, 10:05 am

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
Red wrote:

But I guess was that a trend or just an aberration?

They had 7 years with Colt Ryan then DJ Balentine and Mock. They had 3 seasons with a winning record. Hard to call one year getting to the Arch Madness championship a trend that is repeatable for the current staff.

It just illustrates the sham argument from the beginning. If UE wins, you could say the privates (Creighton included) won as many Arch Madness titles as the publics over the last 10-11 years. And then you could even flip it to say that without Wichita, the publics are in trouble because only UNI has won. Again, that's a crappy argument but I think you get the point.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby All-MVC Fan » May 4th, 2017, 10:22 am

I'm sure the Terre Haute Tribune-Star appreciates everyone here clicking on their website to read the article, discussing the article, and getting more people to click on the article.

Mission accomplished... :buddies:
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » May 4th, 2017, 10:25 am

Red wrote:It just illustrates the sham argument from the beginning. If UE wins, you could say the privates (Creighton included) won as many Arch Madness titles as the publics over the last 10-11 years. And then you could even flip it to say that without Wichita, the publics are in trouble because only UNI has won. Again, that's a crappy argument but I think you get the point.

I do get the point. Yes the article is flawed. The whole league is in trouble not just privates vs publics. However, since 1977 when the Conference Tournament started only 3 titles have been won by a private that is still in the league. While 18 have been won by public teams still in the league.

Also your arbitrary pick of Evansville winning evens things out for the past 10 is also incorrect. There were 7 public school wins in the last 10 years. Take one away and it is 6-4 instead of 7-3. Overall, the conference is in trouble no matter what. Which is why moving forward I think we need to go to at least 11. Add both Valpo AND Murray State. But we will see what the school presidents want to do.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mule » May 4th, 2017, 10:43 am

Redhawk wrote:
mule wrote:
Redhawk wrote:
Wasn't trying to knock Evansville with the question mark...I just don't know what's going on there.
They have essentially a lame duck coach and are not recruiting at the level of other Privates: Bradley,
Loyola and Valpo. From my view point things don't look to promising compared with the rest of the Valley.

Sounds to me that you are making two assumptions about the Evansville program that you know nothing about.

I believe I stated that I didn't know about Evansville..hence the question mark. Maybe you could
enlighten me on what the near term holds for the Aces instead of getting so defensive about an innocuous comment!

It is true that you stated you knew nothing about UE then proceeded to call the coach a lame duck and the incoming recruits to be lesser than than three other privates schools which I'm sure you know nothing about either. There was nothing innocuous about your comments hence the reply.
Last edited by mule on May 4th, 2017, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Khan4Cats » May 4th, 2017, 10:48 am

UEACES80 wrote:
Evansville ? - I wasn't a math major (LOL) but I think UE is the highest average finish of the privates. Should we do better - yes. Do we need look for ways to improve including a coaching change - yes (all schools should strive to improve).

Since there seems to be some angst towards to the Privates - I wonder if any of the Public's have as stringent requirements for admission that the Privates have?

Has that been an impediment to Duke or Gonzaga?

Yes, the privates probably have tougher admissions standards. But they also are not Harvard and Yale type elite, and many private schools also have different standards for athletes in order to 'encourage diversity'. I know that has been a complaint from Drake fans, but if true, that is self-inflicted and could be changed if the school decides it wants to. Unlike many of the public schools that have to go through state boards that are often hostile/indifferent at best to their non P5 schools.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » May 4th, 2017, 10:51 am

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
Red wrote:It just illustrates the sham argument from the beginning. If UE wins, you could say the privates (Creighton included) won as many Arch Madness titles as the publics over the last 10-11 years. And then you could even flip it to say that without Wichita, the publics are in trouble because only UNI has won. Again, that's a crappy argument but I think you get the point.

I do get the point. Yes the article is flawed. The whole league is in trouble not just privates vs publics. However, since 1977 when the Conference Tournament started only 3 titles have been won by a private that is still in the league. While 18 have been won by public teams still in the league.

Also your arbitrary pick of Evansville winning evens things out for the past 10 is also incorrect. There were 7 public school wins in the last 10 years. Take one away and it is 6-4 instead of 7-3. Overall, the conference is in trouble no matter what. Which is why moving forward I think we need to go to at least 11. Add both Valpo AND Murray State. But we will see what the school presidents want to do.

Agreed 100%.

Adding the best public out there that the MVC can get (Murray State) and the best private out there the MVC can get (Valpo) seems to make the most sense and takes care of both sides. It seems easy enough which is probably why it wont happen.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » May 4th, 2017, 10:54 am

Author sure seems to cherry pick his time frame and sports. I haven't done any research, but somebody pointed out that he skipped several NCAA appearances by Bradley in soccer. Didn't count Drake's numerous tennis NCCAA qualifications and I'm sure there are others. I personally think all of the privates are on an upward swing in Basketball. Couldn't even have this conversation before Creighton quit.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball