Voting

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Voting

Postby RacerJoeD » May 5th, 2017, 8:37 am

As fans of your respective schools, you guys know your administration better than anyone. How does this vote go?
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Voting

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Voting

Postby All-MVC Fan » May 5th, 2017, 8:48 am

As I said, the more I think about this, the more I think they're going to stick with that magic number of 10, and the addition will be Valpo. The privates will demand another private to get to 5/5. No one in leadership has enough forward vision to see the benefits of adding both Murray and Valpo, with a nice spot sitting there for whoever proves to be a worthy #12. They are going to stand pat at 10 and leave out a very deserving Murray State program.

That's going to be a shame and a travesty, but Mark Adams isn't going to put out his tweet about Valpo without being pretty certain he's right.

The Valley is like the Palestinians - they never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity...
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ptownbraves » May 5th, 2017, 8:54 am

I'm not optimistic the presidents will get this right. If you're looking for leaders who will shake things up, the MVC university presidents have historically not been that group when it comes to men's basketball. The rumors of Valpo being the only add sounds like a logical conclusion this group would come to. Unimaginative thinking in an effort to keep expenses as low as possible by adding one school within the geographic footprint.

I hope I'm wrong.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Bjhracer » May 5th, 2017, 9:10 am

So with a public leaving do you not think the public's will have the balls to say we arent replacing a public with a private? If they make a stand the only way to get the votes necessary to add a private is to also add a public. This sounds like the most logical answer. Everyone leaves happy.
Bjhracer
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby ptownbraves » May 5th, 2017, 9:16 am

Bjhracer wrote:So with a public leaving do you not think the public's will have the balls to say we arent replacing a public with a private? If they make a stand the only way to get the votes necessary to add a private is to also add a public. This sounds like the most logical answer. Everyone leaves happy.

Adding Valpo would put the public/private mix at 5/5 after it's historically been 6/4, so maybe the publics are fine with the equal split.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redhawk » May 5th, 2017, 9:16 am

Bjhracer wrote:So with a public leaving do you not think the public's will have the balls to say we arent replacing a public with a private? If they make a stand the only way to get the votes necessary to add a private is to also add a public. This sounds like the most logical answer. Everyone leaves happy.

:+1: I think this IS the most logical outcome.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » May 5th, 2017, 9:40 am

UNI is a definite yes on Valpo and Murray. Would vote yes on Milwaukee.

Sitting on the fence on Omaha due to financials.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » May 5th, 2017, 10:03 am

I've followed MVC basketball since it was easily the #1 basketball conference in the nation. Unfortunately, when you're on top the only way to go is down, and the Valley has been outstanding at going in that direction.

I don't think there are many major changes in administrations among Valley schools since Creighton was replaced with Loyola. That should give you a clue as to my confidence in the current group making intelligent decisions.

When Creighton left, it should have been pretty obvious to the league that WSU was ALREADY looking for a way out. That's when the league should have been proactive and made basketball moves to strengthen the league in order to keep WSU. If the MVC had added Murray and Valpo then, perhaps they wouldn't be looking for another replacement now.

I'm afraid the Valley has a few too many admins who do not see or value what athletics bring to the university. When the value of athletics is not seen, then the status quo is the easiest route to take. The status quo is 10 teams. I don't see it as forward thinking or as being proactive, but the Valley has shown few or no signs of that over the last 50 years.

Don't discount the possibility that moving Murray's FB on short notice had too many problems to overcome and that inviting them at this time was impractical. The OVC could have refused to let them leave FB there and take everything else to the Valley, and it's really hard to change conferences for FB in May.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » May 5th, 2017, 12:59 pm

OK without permission I will play Dr. Kazee of UE:

Slam Dunk - Valpo

Positives - a) Private b) gains exposure in Northern IN for UE to recruit students c) recent NCAA success d) former rival e) within footprint - very affordable travel for the non revenue sports

Negatives - a) need upgraded stadium

---

High Percentage Shot - Murray State

Positives - a) recent NCAA success b) currently schedule in numerous sports so a known competitor to UE fans c) within footprint - very affordable travel for the non revenue sports d) will bring fans to basketball games at UE

Negatives - a) football

---

Rushed desperation long 3 to beat shot clock - UWM

Positives - a) respected research school b) open Milwaukee market to UE recruiting of students c) within reason of the current footprint of MVC

Negatives - a) past APR issues b) #3 act in Milwaukee to Wisconsin and Marquette c) poor attendance

---

Last second 3/4 court heave - UNO

Positives - a) hmmmm still trying to think of one

Negatives - a) not a school known for basketball b) #5 act in Omaha behind Creighton, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas and maybe even Missouri c) poor attendance d) a stretch of the footprint versus the other 3 choices
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DUBulldog » May 5th, 2017, 1:13 pm

I have no idea how Drake's admin will vote, but Drake fans I've talked to are in favor of Valpo and Murray State, and possibly UW-Milwaukee.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball