MVC by some numbers

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

MVC by some numbers

Postby PantherU » May 5th, 2017, 5:31 pm

The MVC and the four potential new members, with some financial numbers on the first tab and attendance numbers for the last 15 years on the second tab:

http://bit.ly/mvc-numbers

Thanks to those of you who helped me find the high attendance figure in your current home arenas.
PantherU
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

MVC by some numbers

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: MVC by some numbers

Postby smidge34 » May 6th, 2017, 11:10 am

Again, self reported attendance figures bring nothing of substance to the table. Nothing. I have seen way too many empty gyms reported with crazy high attendance figures to believe any of them.
smidge34
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby IWokeUpLikeThis » May 6th, 2017, 12:26 pm

Milwaukee's highest 4 years in that 15-year span were the first 4 years.
IWokeUpLikeThis
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby PantherU » May 6th, 2017, 2:03 pm

IWokeUpLikeThis wrote:Milwaukee's highest 4 years in that 15-year span were the first 4 years.

And Valpo hasn't crossed the 4,000 threshold since 2005. Doesn't make me think they're any less worthy of a spot in the MVC.

I don't know of a single school that only counts the bodies that walk through the door. Everyone does a little bit of magic. One of the arguments that I've had with our ticket managers in the past is that I've pushed them to do other things and they wouldn't. It's easy to tell when you balloon the numbers in our Arena.

Obviously you can take this all with a grain of salt. I just was interested to see the numbers reported.
PantherU
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby smidge34 » May 6th, 2017, 2:23 pm

PantherU wrote:../I don't know of a single school that only counts the bodies that walk through the door. Everyone does a little bit of magic. One of the arguments that I've had with our ticket managers in the past is that I've pushed them to do other things and they wouldn't.....

Not at Murray State. It's 100% bodies thru the door and a buddy and myself have bitched at our AD about this before. Swear to God Murray's numbers on attendance are as real as they get.
smidge34
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » May 6th, 2017, 2:26 pm

For obvious reasons the expenditures of the three schools that rent off campus facilities to play (BU, UE and UWM) will be higher.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleydays » May 6th, 2017, 2:49 pm

smidge34 wrote:
PantherU wrote:../I don't know of a single school that only counts the bodies that walk through the door. Everyone does a little bit of magic. One of the arguments that I've had with our ticket managers in the past is that I've pushed them to do other things and they wouldn't.....

Not at Murray State. It's 100% bodies thru the door and a buddy and myself have bitched at our AD about this before. Swear to God Murray's numbers on attendance are as real as they get.

I've heard the same thing. Been that way for years.

Several years ago, I was involved in producing game-time attendance numbers. We used to count not only the paid attendance but also the players, the striped shirts, security, EVERYBODY in the building. Then add a couple of hundred for those "in the restroom." Obviously, some arenas have A LOT more urinals and stalls that others. :lol:
valleydays
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Svoboda » May 7th, 2017, 8:41 am

The high attendance numbers are wrong for Indiana State. I was at the Sycamores/Creighton and Sycamores/Shocker games back during Odom days and we had over 8k in one, 7k in the other. We also had over 7k in the Bird trophy unveiling. We've also had a couple "sellouts" where all tickets were bought by a local company and given out to whomever wanted tickets -- Drake back in 2011 was one of them.

Also, I believe the Valpo all-time record is like 51-30 or 31 in favor of Indiana State. I stopped looking after seeing those inaccuracies. May want to go back and do some more research. Most of this is fresh since I've been putting together a stats site for the Greg Lansing era.

http://www.sycamorehoops.com
Sycamore Pride - http://www.sycamorepride.com
MVC News & Social Media Aggregator - https://www.mvctalk.com
Svoboda
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby ValpoTX » May 7th, 2017, 9:14 am

Our all-time records are included in the link below. As you can tell, most of our series against MVC teams were long ago, when we didn't have a good program (2-22 against UNI, 17-66 against Evansville, etc). We evened out and went into a positive winning percentage versus most HL teams once we were included in the conference, and we should make these records look much better if we join the MVC. We have a long ways to go to catch-up on some of these, though lol. I am glad that I have only been following Valpo since my FR year of 1999-2000, as it looks like the 70s and 80s were rough on us.

http://cdn.streamlinetechnologies.com/v ... ByYear.pdf
ValpoTX
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Khan4Cats » May 7th, 2017, 10:06 am

ValpoTX wrote:Our all-time records are included in the link below. As you can tell, most of our series against MVC teams were long ago, when we didn't have a good program (2-22 against UNI, 17-66 against Evansville, etc). We evened out and went into a positive winning percentage versus most HL teams once we were included in the conference, and we should make these records look much better if we join the MVC. We have a long ways to go to catch-up on some of these, though lol. I am glad that I have only been following Valpo since my FR year of 1999-2000, as it looks like the 70s and 80s were rough on us.

http://cdn.streamlinetechnologies.com/v ... ByYear.pdf

I remember those old AMCU days against Valpo as they were getting started. You could see Homer was working on building them, but there were some solid programs to go against-Missouri State and UNI were both about to move up to the MVC, UWGB was solid under Bennett. Crusaders had the whole UNI student section cheering for them during their AMCU tournament game in the Dome in 1990.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball