Possible Expansion Scenario

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Possible Expansion Scenario

Postby tribecalledquest » May 9th, 2017, 10:45 am

mvfcfan wrote:
But if you honestly think the MAC is so much better, have fun leaving. We'll all sit back and laugh at your over inflated egos. I guess someone has to take Wichita's spot as being the next team that "wants to leave". I mean we're 17 years into the 21st century and how many times has ILST made the NCAA tournament this century? Yeah that's what I thought (0).

And if you honestly think I-AA football matters a whole heck of a lot in any of this then we too will sit back and laugh at your over inflated egos.

If teams see them selves as big time football schools then go big time, join the MAC or Sun Belt and move on.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Khan4Cats » May 9th, 2017, 12:22 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
mvfcfan wrote:
But if you honestly think the MAC is so much better, have fun leaving. We'll all sit back and laugh at your over inflated egos. I guess someone has to take Wichita's spot as being the next team that "wants to leave". I mean we're 17 years into the 21st century and how many times has ILST made the NCAA tournament this century? Yeah that's what I thought (0).

And if you honestly think I-AA football matters a whole heck of a lot in any of this then we too will sit back and laugh at your over inflated egos.

If teams see them selves as big time football schools then go big time, join the MAC or Sun Belt and move on.

Patriot, Colonial, Southern. All conferences with FCS football. The Valley is starting to look a lot more like them than the other way around.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » May 9th, 2017, 12:26 pm

So Valpo has FCS football too correct?
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » May 9th, 2017, 12:30 pm

mvfcfan wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
mvfcfan wrote:The MAC is a step down in both basketball and football, so it would be realistic for Illinois State to go that route.

How is the MAC a step down in Football? FBS conference vs FCS conference

MVFC teams usually beat MAC teams whenever they play each other. Recent examples: ILST over EMU, INST over Ball St, WIU over NIU,

MAC games are typically played on Tuesday and Thursday nights that way people might actually watch their games. The MAC is the worst conference in FBS. They went 0-6 in bowl games. The Sun Belt is usually seen as worse but they went 4-2 in bowl games, so arguably they were even better than the MAC last season.

You will be spending a ton of money on a product that is bad and that no one cares about. At least in the MVFC if no one cares at least you are putting a good product on the field that can compete at your level. In the MAC you don't get that. The MAC is basically an FCS conference that plays in terrible bowl games. I'm pretty sure that the MVFC was rated higher than the MAC last year in the Sagarin as well.

MAC basketball is also pretty pathetic. They were a one bid league that had no shot of even getting a second bid.

Who said I want ISUr to join the MAC? It was a simple question about FBS vs FCS levels and how going from an FCS conference to an FBS conference in Football affiliation only is a step down (which it is in your mind).

Simple question with no end game for me. But way to get overly defensive about your precious mvfc Mr. mvfcfan....your allegiances are very clear to the Missouri Valley Football conference within your screen name.

Don't get so worked up next time over a simple question.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » May 9th, 2017, 12:44 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:So Valpo has FCS football too correct?

Just like Drake.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » May 9th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:

Just like Drake.

FCSINO

I'm not sure they'd beat Wartburg - Drake or Valpo - Valpo for sure would get crushed by Wartburg.

Ran a computer sim on it. Wartburg is a 50/50 toss up. Coe is favored.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » May 9th, 2017, 12:55 pm

uniftw wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:

Just like Drake.

FCSINO

I'm not sure they'd beat Wartburg - Drake or Valpo - Valpo for sure would get crushed by Wartburg.

Ran a computer sim on it. Wartburg is a 50/50 toss up. Coe is favored.

You guys aren't helping my case here. I just found it funny the people talking bad about us publics having football, but two of the privates also have football including the team we just added to the conference.

Granted it is non-scholarship, but it does still have expenses. I would argue a few of the publics are basketball first schools even with very good FCS football teams.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redhawk » May 9th, 2017, 1:00 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote: I would argue a few of the publics are basketball first schools even with very good FCS football teams.

ISUr has ALWAYS been a basketball first school. With the changing landscape of college athletics though
I am not so sure how much longer that will be the case.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » May 9th, 2017, 1:08 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
mvfcfan wrote:

Patriot, Colonial, Southern. All conferences with FCS football. The Valley is starting to look a lot more like them than the other way around.

The Valley is nothing like the Patriot league and Southern. Come on.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ST_Lawson » May 9th, 2017, 1:46 pm

RacerJoeD wrote:Other possible options for the OVC would be to try to go after Western Illinois or even Indiana State. For those schools, the OVC would allow for cheaper overall costs, a place for football and basketball, and a chance for both to compete. But I have no idea if those teams would want to move to the OVC.

As for Western Illinois (my school), I'm not opposed to an Ohio Valley move for most sports, it would make sense if the Summit loses the Indiana schools to the Horizon...the issue is football. I would REALLY miss our rivalries with ISUr, UNI, and SIU. We've been playing them (especially the other IL schools) for a LONG time (this year is our 100th meeting with the Redbirds). I realize we'd pick up Eastern Illinois, who we've played quite a bit recently...maybe could do something with SEMO, but in general, I really like who we play now.

My ideal scenario would be for the MVC public schools to bolt and join with the other MVFC schools for an all-sports conference. I realize that this is not even remotely likely to happen though, due to most of the public MVC schools not wanting to have anything to do with us in basketball...which is understandable at this point.

Still...combine IL State, IN State, Missouri State, and Southern IL, with Western IL, NDSU, SDSU, USD and UND (and let Youngstown find something to the east)...maybe then bring in Murray State for all sports (to help bring up the level of basketball)...you're at 10 teams for football and basketball...all public, all FCS football schools...not a giant footprint (although I know the Dakota schools do expand your MVC "base" quite a bit). I don't think it's the absolute worst idea in the world (again, as unlikely as it actually is to happen). I know that Western would pretty much be the "anchor" of the conference for basketball for the forseeable future, but adding Murray and the SD schools (SD is CRAZY about basketball) would provide a decent boost.
Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball