Possible Expansion Scenario

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Possible Expansion Scenario

Postby Svoboda » May 9th, 2017, 8:24 am

uniftw wrote:
JBoss8393 wrote:This move proves the Valley has no vision and no leadership. It explains perfectly why Creighton and Wichita left. Question now is, who's next to go?

UNI/ISUr

Just curious, but where would they go?
Sycamore Pride - http://www.sycamorepride.com
MVC News & Social Media Aggregator - https://www.mvctalk.com
Svoboda
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » May 9th, 2017, 8:26 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:Let's just get this decision over with please. The posturing by the Milwaukee, NDSU, Valpo, and Murray fans selling a message board as to why they should be included (like we have any say in the matter) is getting old.

The Valpo & Murray fans have been great. Fit easily. Haven't had to do much selling at all.

Comparing 2 fan bases with a large presence here yet little selling their soul juxtaposed with another fan base with 1 member here and several 18 paragraph marathons tells you all you need to know.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby JBoss8393 » May 9th, 2017, 8:27 am

Svoboda wrote:
uniftw wrote:
JBoss8393 wrote:This move proves the Valley has no vision and no leadership. It explains perfectly why Creighton and Wichita left. Question now is, who's next to go?

UNI/ISUr

Just curious, but where would they go?

Move football to FBS and go to the MACtion! I know ISU has long talked about going big time football.
JBoss8393
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Svoboda » May 9th, 2017, 9:18 am

JBoss8393 wrote:
Svoboda wrote:Just curious, but where would they go?

Move football to FBS and go to the MACtion! I know ISU has long talked about going big time football.

Do you have a realistic option for Illinois State?
Sycamore Pride - http://www.sycamorepride.com
MVC News & Social Media Aggregator - https://www.mvctalk.com
Svoboda
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby mvfcfan » May 9th, 2017, 9:28 am

The MAC is a step down in both basketball and football, so it would be realistic for Illinois State to go that route.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » May 9th, 2017, 9:40 am

mvfcfan wrote:The MAC is a step down in both basketball and football, so it would be realistic for Illinois State to go that route.

I know you are trying to take a stab at ISU, but if ISU and UNI bolted to the MAC, i'm not sure it would still be a step down. They will be the 2 carrying the MVC
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » May 9th, 2017, 9:50 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:Let's just get this decision over with please. The posturing by the Milwaukee, NDSU, Valpo, and Murray fans selling a message board as to why they should be included (like we have any say in the matter) is getting old.

The Valpo & Murray fans have been great. Fit easily. Haven't had to do much selling at all.

Comparing 2 fan bases with a large presence here yet little selling their soul juxtaposed with another fan base with 1 member here and several 18 paragraph marathons tells you all you need to know.

Good point. I grouped them together as I was tired of reading their pressing into the conference. LakeBison was the main culprit of the agenda pushing.

At any rate, glad they have made a decision, albeit short-sighted IMO
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » May 9th, 2017, 9:51 am

mvfcfan wrote:The MAC is a step down in both basketball and football, so it would be realistic for Illinois State to go that route.

How is the MAC a step down in Football? FBS conference vs FCS conference
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 83Ace » May 9th, 2017, 9:54 am

Make MVC Great Again wrote:
Mikovio wrote:
Make MVC Great Again wrote:This league dropped the ball having Loyola join in the first place. Name any mid-major school in a major market to have a successful basketball program not named St. Joe's?

I'm waiting.

Butler?

Not mid-major anymore.

You sort of disproved your own point. A once-mediocre mid-major like Butler was able to have such sustained success that they are not even thought of as mid-major anymore. A similar example would be Xavier (they were not mediocre like Butler was in the 70's-80's, but were certainly a mid-major). I do agree that it can be more difficult in a saturated market where you have to compete with other college and even pro teams.
83Ace
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby mvfcfan » May 9th, 2017, 10:14 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:

How is the MAC a step down in Football? FBS conference vs FCS conference

MVFC teams usually beat MAC teams whenever they play each other. Recent examples: ILST over EMU, INST over Ball St, WIU over NIU,

MAC games are typically played on Tuesday and Thursday nights that way people might actually watch their games. The MAC is the worst conference in FBS. They went 0-6 in bowl games. The Sun Belt is usually seen as worse but they went 4-2 in bowl games, so arguably they were even better than the MAC last season.

You will be spending a ton of money on a product that is bad and that no one cares about. At least in the MVFC if no one cares at least you are putting a good product on the field that can compete at your level. In the MAC you don't get that. The MAC is basically an FCS conference that plays in terrible bowl games. I'm pretty sure that the MVFC was rated higher than the MAC last year in the Sagarin as well.

MAC basketball is also pretty pathetic. They were a one bid league that had no shot of even getting a second bid.

But if you honestly think the MAC is so much better, have fun leaving. We'll all sit back and laugh at your over inflated egos. I guess someone has to take Wichita's spot as being the next team that "wants to leave". I mean we're 17 years into the 21st century and how many times has ILST made the NCAA tournament this century? Yeah that's what I thought (0).
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball