Murray State notified they will NOT be invited to join MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Murray State notified they will NOT be invited to join M

Postby JBoss8393 » May 9th, 2017, 10:01 am

Apparently there is now an MVC expansion committee that is going to continue to meet for the next 9 months to examine further expansion opportunities. All is not lost for a bigger and better Valley.
JBoss8393
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 9th, 2017, 10:03 am

Murray will be here next season with another team. They are going to continue evaluating expansion but several president's pushed for Murray State. What that tells me is there was no consensus 12th team and they didn't like just having 11. This isn't goodbye this is see you soon, Racers.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BradleyFan71 » May 9th, 2017, 10:11 am

With the addition of a 10th team, doesn't that make it easier to get Murray in next season, or is it a 75% vote?
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TheAsianSensation » May 9th, 2017, 10:17 am

I don't think Murray St is the magic elixir most people think they are, but the bottom line is this: every reasonable path this conference can take to gain basketball power involves Murray St in some form. That we chose not to take any of those paths is...concerning.

That said, I've pointed this out before: Murray St won't be going anywhere...they'll be available in a year or two if we need to get everything lined up correctly for a move.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Cdizzle » May 9th, 2017, 10:18 am

BradleyFan71 wrote:With the addition of a 10th team, doesn't that make it easier to get Murray in next season, or is it a 75% vote?

Interesting question. If Valpo is now a voting member, you've just shifted the balance for the public addition(s) many are hoping for even more in to the hands of the private schools.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » May 9th, 2017, 10:21 am

Cdizzle wrote:
BradleyFan71 wrote:With the addition of a 10th team, doesn't that make it easier to get Murray in next season, or is it a 75% vote?

Interesting question. If Valpo is now a voting member, you've just shifted the balance for the public addition(s) many are hoping for even more in to the hands of the private schools.

I think people keep assuming the MVC private schools would prefer to go D3 than compete in men's basketball. That's not true at all. It's a good story the public school people can lean on though.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » May 9th, 2017, 10:22 am

It seems odd to me, because I thought Valpo was the strongest candidate when we added Loyola.

I thought for sure Murray would be it this time. I think the 11 team schedule would just be too difficult to work, with one team on a bye every week. And there really isn't a viable 12th at this time.
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BradleyFan71 » May 9th, 2017, 10:40 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

I think people keep assuming the MVC private schools would prefer to go D3 than compete in men's basketball. That's not true at all. It's a good story the public school people can lean on though.

Clearly not to the extent of going D3, but it's fairly obvious some private schools wanted things the way they are today. My post was actually the opposite, as Valpo being the new guy may be more open to voting for Murray.
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » May 9th, 2017, 10:43 am

BradleyFan71 wrote:Clearly not to the extent of going D3, but it's fairly obvious some private schools wanted things the way they are today. My post was actually the opposite, as Valpo being the new guy may be more open to voting for Murray.

The vote was unanimous supposedly. There were five public (UNI, MSU, SIU, ISU and ISUb) who voted. Did the four private schools give those other five wet willies until they broke down and submitted to the private's wishes? The public schools had MORE votes than the privates. Putting this all on a weak vision of private schools is a joke.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » May 9th, 2017, 10:46 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
BradleyFan71 wrote:Clearly not to the extent of going D3, but it's fairly obvious some private schools wanted things the way they are today. My post was actually the opposite, as Valpo being the new guy may be more open to voting for Murray.

The vote was unanimous supposedly. There were five public (UNI, MSU, SIU, ISU and ISUb) who voted. Did the four private schools give those other five wet willies until they broke down and submitted to the private's wishes? The public schools had MORE votes than the privates. Putting this all on a weak vision of private schools is a joke.

Murray St was an at-large lock in 2012. From the OVC(!). If they lost the OVC title game, would that change your mind? They would've been the lowest-rated-conference team to receive an at-large in decades, if not ever. Speaks for itself.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball