Murray State notified they will NOT be invited to join MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Murray State notified they will NOT be invited to join M

Postby Mikovio » May 16th, 2017, 6:49 am

mvfcfan wrote:The private schools in the MVC are awful. (I'll exclude Valpo since they have actually done something in the past 10 years). I love how a Bradley fan is making fun of our football, even though our football conference is ranked #1 and ranked higher than 3 other FBS conferences. We have teams that beat FBS teams every year. But yeah our "JV" programs are really holding us back, you know since Bradley, Drake, Evansville, and Loyola all sucked and none of them even made it to Saturday. It's kind of odd how all of the "JV football" schools out perform the privates every year in basketball.

I'll add that I will stick up for Drake and Valpo since they actually have football teams, but in reality if anyone is JV in football it's those two schools. The Pioneer League is usually the worst league in FCS, although the SWAC has been giving them some competition lately. Bradley, Loyola, and Evansville are all Horizon League quality in my opinion.

Bradley is bad but it's a historical abnormality-- we have more all time wins than any other team by far. Loyola has only been in the conference 4 years and is projected by many to win next year. Valpo is coming from the Horizon where they were on top of a league of publics (and Detroit). Creighton obviously won a lot of titles here (argue whether they "dominated" or how they landed McDermott but it wasn't just a few years). Drake is, well, Drake, but they made a splash hire with the SoCon coach of the year.

You can't say the MAC is awful in one breath and then basically tout a win over Eastern Michigan (the worst MAC program BTW) in the next. Either the MAC sucks and wins against them don't matter or they do.

The MAC has some real dead weight at the bottom, and it's been like that for years. Probably because if you go to a bad MAC program not only are you going to lose to the good ones but you have to get your head beat in at multiple Power 5 stadiums in order to pay for all the extra expenses in your athletic department. But the MVFC has no team that stacks up with the top, whether it be Western Michigan this year (beat two B1G teams in one year, a few years after NIU did the same... I think ISU Red beat a B1G team for the first time in 100 years of football IIRC). NIU gave Garoppolo-led #1 EIU its only regular season loss a few years ago. FCS Champion James Madison this year lost 56-28 to North Carolina, but they won some games by 70+ points so maybe Sagarin was impressed by that.

Even if Sagarin is right and the MVFC was better than the MAC you're just saying the best JV league is better than the worst Varsity league. Is the best D2 conference better than the SWAC in basketball? I don't know. But even if so it's not like it's that impressive.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Nebraskajack » May 16th, 2017, 8:44 am

Wow, you guys are a feisty bunch. You like to talk about how the Shocker fans are arrogant and belittling but it seems to be pretty universal on this board.

I like to read this board just to see how your moves might effect the future of the Summit. I try not to get involved because it's not my conferene but when I see random posts with bad info about my school or conference I feel inclined to inform. :D

I'm never advocated for SDSU to join, nor am I now but I will stick up for my school.
Nebraskajack
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 16th, 2017, 8:56 am

Nebraskajack wrote:Wow, you guys are a feisty bunch. You like to talk about how the Shocker fans are arrogant and belittling but it seems to be pretty universal on this board.

I like to read this board just to see how your moves might effect the future of the Summit. I try not to get involved because it's not my conferene but when I see random posts with bad info about my school or conference I feel inclined to inform. :D

I'm never advocated for SDSU to join, nor am I now but I will stick up for my school.

SDSU, along with all the Dakota schools are football first, bottom line. Doesn't line up with the MVC's philosophy for basketball first. NDSU has a basketball budget of $1.4-million. The average basketball budget in the MVC is $2.3-million. Plus, the schools don't want to travel that far. I think the Dakota schools need to team up with the best of the West.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 16th, 2017, 9:06 am

Montana, Montana State, North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Idaho, Idaho State, Eastern Washington, Weber State, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah

West: Eastern Washington, Idaho, Idaho State, Southern Utah, Weber State, Northern Colorado

East: North Dakota State, North Dakota, South Dakota State, South Dakota, Montana, Montana State (Montana's stay East and Northern Colorado go West to keep the Montana's together.

Or, you can stay at 10 teams and leave out two of Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, and Weber State.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheDrake » May 16th, 2017, 10:06 am

Nebraskajack wrote:Wow, you guys are a feisty bunch. You like to talk about how the Shocker fans are arrogant and belittling but it seems to be pretty universal on this board.

It's kind of weird. The dickish behavior from fans of other schools is a relatively recent phenomenon. Perhaps the departure of Wichita State emboldened a few of the previously downtrodden fans to try their hand at talking s*$%.
TheDrake
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Nebraskajack » May 16th, 2017, 10:33 am

TheDrake wrote:

Sa

It's kind of weird. The dickish behavior from fans of other schools is a relatively recent phenomenon. Perhaps the departure of Wichita State emboldened a few of the previously downtrodden fans to try their hand at talking s*$%.

Sadly enough it is not isolated to the MVC FANS board. Almost impossible to have a good banter back and forth without someone getting offended and jumping in.
Nebraskajack
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby VU2014 » May 16th, 2017, 11:18 am

Nebraskajack wrote:
TheDrake wrote:

Sa

Sadly enough it is not isolated to the MVC FANS board. Almost impossible to have a good banter back and forth without someone getting offended and jumping in.

One theory I've heard that I sort of believe is that its probably "healthy" for the league that Wichita State is leaving the MVC. Yes it will suck losing the Unit $ from their runs and being able to play a consistently Top 25 opponent twice a year but they outspent EVERYBODY by a mile and just had WAY more resources available to them compared to the rest of the league. They were great but time for them to move on.

Wichita State was like that really hot girlfriend that constantly trying to find someone else to date and your just hoping they don't leave you. Well Wichita State finally got a boyfriend and its best for both parties.

The League is Wide-open for the first time in years. Maybe this wakes up schools administrations and they quit with the "defeatist" attitude, and maybe it encourages school administrators to reinvest in their programs now. It could be a shot in the arm for Indiana State, Drake, and Evansville, etc. Not dogging those programs but it seems like they've been stuck in a bit of a rut for a few years. No doubt all those schools have the potential get competitive again. I liked Drakes new hire and they have nice facilities. Indiana State has history and could be so much better then they've been. Maybe the WSU move causes IN St administrators to start investing more into their BBall budget ($ doesn't buy wins but $1.8M for a MVC program is a little low). Evansville has potential with history and solid facilities. It's been a rough go but they have the "bones" to be better then they've been.

The League is wide-open next season and WSU has left a vacuum that could & SHOULD wake up programs to reach higher.
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball