Murray State notified they will NOT be invited to join MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Murray State notified they will NOT be invited to join M

Postby UEACES80 » May 9th, 2017, 10:49 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Murray will be here next season with another team. They are going to continue evaluating expansion but several president's pushed for Murray State. What that tells me is there was no consensus 12th team and they didn't like just having 11. This isn't goodbye this is see you soon, Racers.

If the MVC continues their seeming desire to be 50 / 50 Private and Public as was curious as to what Privates exist in the Midwest that are reasonable candidates . So I just did a Google of all D1 Privates and found these are the schools in or near the MVC footprint.

Belmont Univ
Univ Detroit Mercy
Lipscomb Univ
Oral Roberts Univ
Saint Louis Univ

Well we all know SLU is the #! target but they are not likely to listen / Belmont seems to be content in the OVC / UDM is a bit of a stretch on the footprint (unless Oakland was to come with them) / ORU doesn't appeal much to me / Lipscomb as well doesn't hold much appeal

Next go round might be the following carryover candidates:
Murray State
UWM

Outside hope of
Belmont

Long Shots
UALR - (potential travel partner with MO State)
UDM - with Murray or with Oakland as a travel partner or even with UWM as extended travel partners
Oakland - only if UDM were to get consideration

Hopefully we don't visit UMKC or UNO again as I don't see them as MVC fits
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red » May 9th, 2017, 10:59 am

BradleyFan71 wrote:Clearly not to the extent of going D3, but it's fairly obvious some private schools wanted things the way they are today. My post was actually the opposite, as Valpo being the new guy may be more open to voting for Murray.

This couldn't be more inaccurate. The way things are today is 6 public and 4 private. The publics just abdicated their position of power FWIW.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » May 9th, 2017, 11:11 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
BradleyFan71 wrote:Clearly not to the extent of going D3, but it's fairly obvious some private schools wanted things the way they are today. My post was actually the opposite, as Valpo being the new guy may be more open to voting for Murray.

The vote was unanimous supposedly.

When are these ever announced as anything but unanimous. They decide who wins the vote, then the dissenters change their vote for PR reasons.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » May 9th, 2017, 11:19 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

The vote was unanimous supposedly. There were five public (UNI, MSU, SIU, ISU and ISUb) who voted. Did the four private schools give those other five wet willies until they broke down and submitted to the private's wishes? The public schools had MORE votes than the privates. Putting this all on a weak vision of private schools is a joke.

Murray St was an at-large lock in 2012. From the OVC(!). If they lost the OVC title game, would that change your mind? They would've been the lowest-rated-conference team to receive an at-large in decades, if not ever. Speaks for itself.

Ahh--at large lock. Yeah. I've heard that before.

But the fact remains, they have never earned an at-large berth. Over the last five seasons their Ken Pom is 136.4. That's not off the charts awesome.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » May 9th, 2017, 11:21 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

The vote was unanimous supposedly.

When are these ever announced as anything but unanimous. They decide who wins the vote, then the dissenters change their vote for PR reasons.

Agreed 100%. But the publics still had more votes than the privates so blaming it all on the private schools is incorrect.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » May 9th, 2017, 11:24 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
The vote was unanimous supposedly. There were five public (UNI, MSU, SIU, ISU and ISUb) who voted. Did the four private schools give those other five wet willies until they broke down and submitted to the private's wishes? The public schools had MORE votes than the privates. Putting this all on a weak vision of private schools is a joke.

Murray St was an at-large lock in 2012. From the OVC(!). If they lost the OVC title game, would that change your mind? They would've been the lowest-rated-conference team to receive an at-large in decades, if not ever. Speaks for itself.

Ahh--at large lock. Yeah. I've heard that before.

But the fact remains, they have never earned an at-large berth. Over the last five seasons their Ken Pom is 136.4. That's not off the charts awesome.

That average is 23 spots better than the highest kenPom Bradley has had in that same time frame. And 97 spots better than Bradley's average.

I'm one that thinks Bradley is the sleeping giant in the MVC, but now is probably not the time to be casting stones at programs that have been decent recently. At-large bids has a lot more to do with what conference you played in than how good your team was in 95% of cases.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » May 9th, 2017, 11:26 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:The vote was unanimous supposedly.

Agreed 100%. But the publics still had more votes than the privates so blaming it all on the private schools is incorrect.

Neither had enough votes to win. With a public coming out immediately after stating that they will continue meeting to look at expansion, this sounds like a compromise to get SOMETHING done. They didn't want to pull a Big 12 here
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » May 9th, 2017, 11:29 am

Cdizzle wrote:That average is 23 spots better than the highest kenPom Bradley has had in that same time frame. And 97 spots better than Bradley's average.

I'm one that thinks Bradley is the sleeping giant in the MVC, but now is probably not the time to be casting stones at programs that have been decent recently. At-large bids has a lot more to do with what conference you played in than how good your team was in 95% of cases.

Not casting stones at anyone. I've said all along the best way for the MVC to get back to being a multiple bid league is for the current members---with Bradley at the top of the list---to get better and schedule better.

That's my point. The best "additions" are already in the league.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » May 9th, 2017, 11:30 am

Stickboy46 wrote:Neither had enough votes to win. With a public coming out immediately after stating that they will continue meeting to look at expansion, this sounds like a compromise to get SOMETHING done. They didn't want to pull a Big 12 here

And I think that's ok. Murray State isn't going anywhere.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Murraygrad05 » May 9th, 2017, 11:31 am

Although I'm extremely disappointed with the way this turned out, I can't help to think that we never really had a chance. This just seems like it was just a business transaction from the beginning and acted out just like a job interview. We met everybody and felt great about the position only to find out it had been filled at the time you interviewed.

Our ken pom is low basically because we are stuck in a league that refuses to better itself. Simple as that. Yes our record the last few seasons has been nothing to brag about, but we are and will be better than that.

I'll probably continue on this board as I holding on to hope that we will be having this discussion again soon. Thanks for being a passionate group and welcoming the racer nation.
Murraygrad05
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball