Murray State notified they will NOT be invited to join MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Murray State notified they will NOT be invited to join M

Postby VU2014 » May 13th, 2017, 6:25 pm

VU2014 wrote:Valpo fan here.

Reading through this thread was a tad funny and enlightening.

First off, no Privates want to go D3. I'm hoping that talk was just sarcasm because we definitely didn't just join the MVC for that and no Privates want that either.

Second, the vote for Valpo was confirmed unanimous by multiple reports. Valpo was rumored to be 2nd choice after Loyola.

There were a few reasons for why Valpo was chosen this time around.

-I think we were the best Basketball schools within the current geographic footprint, that was willing to join the MVC. We are not Wichita State and no one from our fan-base is claiming to be the next WSU, but we are still a very good Mid-Major Basketball program and we can definitely help strengthen the current 9 MVC members.

-Valpo brings strong academics which is going to be an additional revenue stream for NCAA conference's eventually down the road. The NCAA will be giving out additional units $$ for academic excellence.

-We are a very easy travel partner, which means schools save $.

-We are not the size of Creighton or Wichita State but we are a passionate fan-base and support our teams, particularly Basketball.

As for this Public vs Private narrative I can tell you for a fact that Valpo has had absolutely 0 problem voting for Public schools in the past when we were in the Horizon League. Valpo voted for Oakland and NKU when we were in the HL, both Public.

-Valpo's priorities in voting new members is 1. School strength in Basketball 2. School strength in Basketball Basketball and 3. School strength in Basketball. Our AD has publicly stated while we were in the HL it was priority to take the best basketball schools with also hoping for an institution that emphasizes academics.

-Our AD has really pushed for 'Out of Conference' scheduling standards! Valpo has been victim to some HL schools scheduling too many "cupcake" games in the HL which affect the higher seeded teams down the road. So look for Valpo to push for OOC standards when we join the conference, Not sure how the rest of the MVC schools feel about them. Personally I find them critical.

-Valpo always tries to schedule the best OOC games that we possibly can. Unfortunately many Power 6 Conference schools refuse to play us (especially at home... which sucks). But the last few years we've scheduled schools like Kentucky, Oregon (few times), Oregon State, BYU (twice), Alabama, Rhode Island (twice), Ball State, Multiple MVC schools (which we've had pretty good success against), Belmont, Iona, Murray State, etc. We hardly take cupcake games. We do usually schedule 1 D2 team (D2s don't affect RPI) as "tune-up" game to get our freshman/young guys in the game and to get them some early playing time.

-Next season we are scheduled to play Northwestern, Purdue, Ball State and we are also going to going on long west-coast road trip (currently only Santa Clara announced as part of a 1-for-1.) May play in a neutral site tournament out west. We were scheduled to play Indiana State as part of a 2-for-2, but now we are joining MVC, so we'll see what happen who else we potentially play.

The Students/Fans/Alumni are all pretty excited to join the MVC. I know we are no Wichita State or Creighton, but I think we bring some pretty strong basketball to the conference. I'm personally pretty excited about next season.
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mikovio » May 14th, 2017, 8:40 am

Welcome! I think most of us are glad you're joining but some public school fans wanted the Dakotas because they get starry eyed thinking about their JV football, even though their basketball programs operate as low majors and lose their coaches to Wright State and Ohio.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Nebraskajack » May 14th, 2017, 10:38 am

Mikovio wrote:Welcome! I think most of us are glad you're joining but some public school fans wanted the Dakotas because they get starry eyed thinking about their JV football, even though their basketball programs operate as low majors and lose their coaches to Wright State and Ohio.

I will never understand why you guys are so enamored with how much you spend but still have losing programs. I would think you would put more emphasis on wins and losses but that is just me.
Nebraskajack
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby BEARZ77 » May 14th, 2017, 10:58 am

Nebraskajack wrote:
Mikovio wrote:Welcome! I think most of us are glad you're joining but some public school fans wanted the Dakotas because they get starry eyed thinking about their JV football, even though their basketball programs operate as low majors and lose their coaches to Wright State and Ohio.

I will never understand why you guys are so enamored with how much you spend but still have losing programs. I would think you would put more emphasis on wins and losses but that is just me.

Exactly; plus I didn't see that many publics want the Dakotas. I think the public sentiment was for both Valpo and Murray St. This whole private/public feud is silly given the need for most schools in the league to greatly improve.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 14th, 2017, 10:59 am

Nebraskajack wrote:

Because the Dakotas would have to double their basketball budget to get into the MVC. The question is can they with them spending primarily on football? Or are they going to stay with the same coaches that cost $150,000? Most likely not going to be successful if that's the case.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VU2014 » May 14th, 2017, 11:40 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Nebraskajack wrote:

Because the Dakotas would have to double their basketball budget to get into the MVC. The question is can they with them spending primarily on football? Or are they going to stay with the same coaches that cost $150,000? Most likely not going to be successful if that's the case.

I can not understand all the love for NDSU basketball... they still have a lot to prove in the Summit, imo. Look at their OOC scheduling. I can't really find too many signature wins in recent years. And I know other have stated this but $ doesn't buy wins. Yeah they have a relatively large fan-bases because they are the only shops in town, but what do they bring in terms of improving the state of Basketball in the MVC which is THE sport in the MVC? I'm not trying to knock NDSU down at all but I just understand the great rush to add them right now. They have potential but they still have a lot to prove.

If you bring in Dakota school then you HAVE to add another one as a travel partner. So it would likely require adding SDSU. Solid basketball program but just lost their Head Coach to Wright State last year... I did like their replacement hire though. SDSU has done solid OOC scheduling over the years, but they are still some question marks with this new staff after losing Scott Nagy who was the Long-Time coach there. They finished 18-16 last year (4-6, in OOC play). They got hot won the Conf Tourney. Solid Mid-Major Basketball program.

My "issue" with adding the 2 Dakota schools:
-They are way up in the Dakotas.... Increased travel costs on all teams. Way out of the current footprint.
-If you add one (SDSU) then you have to add another as a travel partner
-How much does it increase the Basketball quality of the league? Not a shot at them but just an honest question. SDSU has been solid-good program but they lost their long-time HC. Which other would you bring? Your not going to add all 4.
-Who honestly cares about matching the MVC and MVCF? They are two separate entities, so that shouldn't even be brought into consideration for adding NDSU to the MVC (non-football)

Just not sure the juice is worth the squeeze with the Dakotas right now. Not even sure it makes sense for the Dakotas to want to join the MVC because they have a heavy influence in the Summit with the Conf Tourney being in their area and they really like having 4 Dakota schools being paired up all together (won't happen in the MVC). Increase travel costs for them.

If I'm the MVC I'd target Belmont and Murray State. (SLU is a pipe-dream. They aren't leaving A10 for anything but a Big East invite which is what they BADLY WANT). Hopefully the Belmont President/AD come to their senses and join the MVC. I can't stand their strategy of wanting to be "kings" of a weak OVC conference... Why not join the MVC and help build a multi-bid league and actually compete. We will see I guess.
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby uniftw » May 14th, 2017, 8:46 pm

Almost none of that is more than .0001% true.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » May 14th, 2017, 9:49 pm

I don't get the excitement over adding Belmont. They're good now, but once they aren't good they'll just be another Drake with a crappy little arena in a city cares nothing about them.

My guess is that if the MVC adds two more teams it will be Murray State and Oral Roberts.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » May 15th, 2017, 12:29 am

mvfcfan wrote:My guess is that if the MVC adds two more teams it will be Murray State and Oral Roberts.

I would love that. :+1:
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » May 15th, 2017, 6:08 am

uniftw wrote:

Almost none of that is more than .0001% true.

NDSU lost their coach to Ohio.

http://www.gobison.com/news/2014/4/6/MB ... 43137.aspx

SDSU lost their coach to Wright State.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports ... /82584836/

Todd Aaron Golden, beat writer for Indiana State, bashed privates and advocated for NDSU. He was celebrated on here and on public school boards.

http://www.pharostribune.com/indiana/sp ... 845b4.html
http://www.courierpress.com/story/sport ... 101029064/

There's also been discussion on here and elsewhere about publics breaking off and joining with the Dakotas, Youngstown etc. I think it's more than 0.001% true.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball