A Message from a Racer

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: A Message from a Racer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » May 9th, 2017, 6:57 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:President Smart [MSU] who is chair of the expansion committee really made it sound like they are looking at adding two more, they just didn't want to go with 11 now. He made it clear 11 would have been a financial hardship in woman's sports because of travel partner needs in order to keep costs down. Selfishly but understandable, MSU would have been the outlier w/o a travel partner. I think they are wanting a stronger candidate to emerge than what they had to add with Murray in spring of next year.

Interesting. Where did you find that?

Will be rooting hard for the Racers this year. And any 12th - don't care if it's UWM/UIC/NDSU/SDSU/ORU/NKU/UALR/UMKC/WSU - to put on a show this season.

Force the MVC's hand. Make the MVC look like fools. Please. This conference needs Murray - and apparently a 12th to catch fire for that to happen.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby isumvc1 » May 9th, 2017, 7:16 pm

Sycamore fans are also disappointed Murray State was left out, once again the MVC brass blows an opportunity for a good addition.

Valpo didn't make it in the last go around, and now they're in, so hopefully if the MVC is still truly looking to get to 12 teams you guys will be included!
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » May 9th, 2017, 8:15 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:President Smart [MSU] who is chair of the expansion committee really made it sound like they are looking at adding two more, they just didn't want to go with 11 now. He made it clear 11 would have been a financial hardship in woman's sports because of travel partner needs in order to keep costs down. Selfishly but understandable, MSU would have been the outlier w/o a travel partner. I think they are wanting a stronger candidate to emerge than what they had to add with Murray in spring of next year.

Interesting. Where did you find that?

http://www.ozarkssportszone.com/2017/05 ... -addition/

Watch this interview, starting at 1:45. First they ruled out 11 teams because it leaves a team without a travel partner, which MSU was particularly concerned about, given that they just lost their travel partner and their budget got cut $1 million. They just couldn't identify that 12th team. Murray needs to send some of that Kentucky bourbon to SLU and Belmont.
Last edited by Mikovio on May 9th, 2017, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby RacerJoeD » May 9th, 2017, 8:18 pm

Guys, forget Belmont. They can't be nothered and have no desire to spend the money for full scholarships in most sports.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » May 9th, 2017, 8:59 pm

There were several problems with Murray that are not the fault of Murray or the MVC. Football is hard to change in the summer, and the OVC was probably unwilling to let Murray take everything but FB to the MVC.

11 teams in a conference is harder to work with than an even number. The travel partner argument (MSU) is legit. MSU is already trying to cut a big chunk of money out of their athletic department budget. I'm confident the rest of the Valley schools didn't want to add pressure to MSU's financial situation.

There's a possibility that the private/public split is in play. Replacing WSU (a public) with Valpo (a private) makes a 5-5 split in the MVC. The privates may have wanted to get that balanced instead of adding another public, which would give the publics a majority.

The solution seems to be to get MSU a travel partner that's a private so that Murray can be added. ORU? As much of a geographical outlier as MSU has become, I don't think there's a travel partner now that's very effective for cutting down travel expenses. Replacing Wichita with Valparaiso is going to cost MSU a nice chunk of change.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » May 9th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Aargh wrote:There were several problems with Murray that are not the fault of Murray or the MVC. Football is hard to change in the summer, and the OVC was probably unwilling to let Murray take everything but FB to the MVC.

11 teams in a conference is harder to work with than an even number. The travel partner argument (MSU) is legit. MSU is already trying to cut a big chunk of money out of their athletic department budget. I'm confident the rest of the Valley schools didn't want to add pressure to MSU's financial situation.

There's a possibility that the private/public split is in play. Replacing WSU (a public) with Valpo (a private) makes a 5-5 split in the MVC. The privates may have wanted to get that balanced instead of adding another public, which would give the publics a majority.

The solution seems to be to get MSU a travel partner that's a private so that Murray can be added. ORU? As much of a geographical outlier as MSU has become, I don't think there's a travel partner now that's very effective for cutting down travel expenses. Replacing Wichita with Valparaiso is going to cost MSU a nice chunk of change.

I agree. I don't think was a shot to Murray State. Just bad timing. I still think Murray will be in the league in the next two years. And why rush it and add 12? Murray isn't going anywhere. Take your time and identify a solid 12th team. Clearly they weren't enamored with Milwaukee and Omaha.

I am in favor of this strategy. Don't just add a 12th just to add them.

Basically....see you soon Murray State. Just not this season.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Lakesbison » May 10th, 2017, 2:43 am

You're Welcome! football was a problem
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » May 10th, 2017, 6:15 am

That Drake-Missouri State weekend is going to be a blast for Women's Basketball and Volleyball. Play a game, get on a bus for 5 1/2 hours, play another game. Woof.

In reverse, the top teams are going to love what's basically a weekend off when you get Loyola and Valpo on the same weekend.

Almost certainly has to go-

Drake/Missouri State
UNI/Bradley
Valpo/Loyola
InSU/IlSU
UE/SIU
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bball Junkie » May 10th, 2017, 6:22 am

Why not: