A Message from a Racer

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

A Message from a Racer

Postby RacerJoeD » May 9th, 2017, 8:36 am

Well, it looks like we won't be joining you all this season. It is disappointing, for sure, as it would be nice to be surrounded by like minded college basketball fans. I will be around here especially after playing some of the MVC teams on our schedule this year.

Good luck to all of you going forward (except when you play Murray State).
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

A Message from a Racer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: A Message from a Racer

Postby goramblers2011 » May 9th, 2017, 8:41 am

Disappointed as well. I just can't see a strong justification why the Racers were not added.
goramblers2011
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UEACES80 » May 9th, 2017, 8:58 am

RacerJoeD wrote:Well, it looks like we won't be joining you all this season. It is disappointing, for sure, as it would be nice to be surrounded by like minded college basketball fans. I will be around here especially after playing some of the MVC teams on our schedule this year.

Good luck to all of you going forward (except when you play Murray State).

:Cheers: Sorry some (surely not all) of the MVC Presidents didn't see the value the high percentage of us fans saw in adding Murray State.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » May 9th, 2017, 9:04 am

I don't think it's hyperbole to say 99% of MVC fans wanted Murray in.

Racer fans at Arch Madness would've been a blast.

Whichever presidents voted against Murray, f*** OFF!
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Make MVC Great Again » May 9th, 2017, 2:45 pm

In a perfect world, Valpo should have been added to replace Creighton, and now Murray should have replaced Wichita.

At some point this conference is going the blow-up.
Make MVC Great Again
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DUBulldog » May 9th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Like most on here, I hoped Murray would get in. I'm taking the glass half full approach....Valpo this season, and then Murray + 1 other school next season.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BEARZ77 » May 9th, 2017, 3:14 pm

President Smart [MSU] who is chair of the expansion committee really made it sound like they are looking at adding two more, they just didn't want to go with 11 now. He made it clear 11 would have been a financial hardship in woman's sports because of travel partner needs in order to keep costs down. Selfishly but understandable, MSU would have been the outlier w/o a travel partner. I think they are wanting a stronger candidate to emerge than what they had to add with Murray in spring of next year.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby underdawg » May 9th, 2017, 3:19 pm

BS decision :( Maybe next year--football to MVFC too Racers--from a Saluki fan
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby RacerJoeD » May 9th, 2017, 3:22 pm

I understand that completely. It's reasonable, but I am not sure it's a great plan, unless private assurances can be made to that affect. Here is the problem. The OVC is untenable. Murray has the desire to be associate itself with schools who care more about basketball. So much so the BOR has even agreed to increase athletic funding as part of increasing the regional and national notoriety of the school.

At the same time, Murray has been told that we have to wait, not because of what we are or aren't doing, but because another team out there doesn't fit (looking at UMKC or UNO if you want a travel partner for the Bears). There is always a chance that Murray looks elsewhere without a private assurance of addition to the MVC. That might not be today's Horizon, but if realignment does happen, it might be another iteration of a conference in the next 18 months. I do not want to see that.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby RacerJoeD » May 9th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Thanks for the well wishes everyone.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball